We need eating jackets.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbsmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Picture this: The pinnacle of culinary couture – the dining jacket. Now, before you dismiss the idea faster than a waiter clearing empty plates, hear me out.

Back in the golden age, when gentlemen wanted to puff away without their clothes absorbing the scent, they had the audacity to wear a smoking jacket. Genius, right? So, why not apply the same logic to eating?

I can practically hear you screaming, "It's called a bib, you buffoon!" But hold your gravy boat, my friend. What about the sleeves? What about the sleeves, indeed! Bibs are the unsung heroes of mealtime, but they're woefully sleeve-negligent.

Now, I pondered the concept of a transparent vinyl jacket. You know, to maintain that debonair appearance while devouring your dinner. But then came the sobering realization – breathability. I don't want to resemble a human sauna, perspiring more than a cold glass on a summer day while feasting.

So, the quest continues for the elusive dining jacket. A garment that says, "I'm here to savor my meal, not soak in it." A sartorial masterpiece that combines elegance and practicality, shielding my threads from the tyranny of spaghetti sauce and rogue gravy splatters.

In the world of haute cuisine, where fashion meets function, I dream of the day when my dinner attire is as carefully curated as the menu itself. Until then, I'll be over here, contemplating the ideal blend of sophistication and stain resistance. Bon appétit, my fellow epicurean fashionistas!

How about this water repellant lab coat with designer lapels? Looks snazzy and resists spilled beers, dripping mustard and your date's drink when you make a lewd suggestion!

1701645969989.png

While I have had several dinner jackets in my wardrobe, I've usually gotten them at the Salvation Army, Goodwill and vintage clothes stores...it's just part of what I've always liked to wear... I'd NEVER actually have dinner in one of them.
The unspoken part of Dinner-jacket culture is that if you can't afford to clean or replace it after a single use, you don't belong there. Personally, my favourite dinners are those where I only wear a t-shirt because of the grease of awesomely BBQ'd ribs running down my arm.

New Fad, Dinner Jacket Pairings..

The jacket is designed to emit different aromas throughout your multi-course meal.

It's been 60 years, let's try smell-o-vision again since we're at it... dinner-theater

A novel concept, I suppose, but how about learning to manipulate utensils in such a manner that food is transferred from plate to pie hole without food detritus being deposited hither and yon?

I’m reminded of a poem I learned, as a small child, entitled “The Goops”.

Oh the Goops they lick their fingers
The Goops they lick their knives
They spill their broth on the tablecloth
Oh they lead disgusting lives
They chew with their mouths open
And loud and fast they chew
Oh I am surely glad that I am not a Goop
Are you?

Back