Too late to transfer??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcr80

Reaction score
I brewed a stout with a OG of 1.075 6 days ago. Fermentation ceased two days ago, but I am wanting to transfer to secondary...is it too late since fermentation has ceased? should I make a re-pitch attempt after transfer...?

In 6 days,it's likely that only initial fermentation is over. Thus little or no bubbling. Did you test for a stable FG?

I would consider it too early to transfer to secondary. You shouldn't have any issues if you do transfer it to the secondary though but most people like to let the beer sit on the original yeast cake for at least two weeks (most of the time three) to give the yeast time to clean things up a bit. Then move it over to the secondary for come additional conditioning for a two or three more weeks and then bottle or keg. No need to add additional yeast either, there will be more than enough active yeast to carb up your bottles I promise.

Really the only time you should think of adding additional yeast is with Lagers due to the long and cold fermentation times and if you've conditioned your beer for more than 3 or 4 months; but even then I've heard that people have still been able to carb their bottles just fine.

The thing is,if you transfer too early,you'd leave most of the yeast behind. And if it's not done fermenting down to FG yet,it could stall.
I'd leave it in primary,at least till a stable FG is had. I only secondary if I'm adding fruit,oaking,etc. No benefit to secondary beyond that.

It is not too late...perhaps it is too early...but for me, the question is why do you want to transfer?

I don't see a need to transfer at all from the primary!

3-4 weeks in the primary and a stable final gravity is really all you need! The beer will condition just fine in the bottle at room temperature so just leave in the bottle for another 3 weeks or so and you may be pleasantly surprised!

(for a stout more than 3 weeks conditioning time could not hurt but sometimes it is hard to be patient)

Back