TN/Northern GA/Southern KY - Hop Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a 1/2 pound of Sorachi from these guys, anyone got any good recipes for it? And yes, I bought it without having a recipe in mind. Name sounded cool.

Nice! I'm gonna be brewing up an American Wheat with Sorachi and Amarillo this weekend. I'm shooting for similar to Three Floyd's Gumbalhead but with the Sorachi kick. From what I've read most people suggest wheat/hefe styles or Saison with Sorachi. The latest BYO has a good looking sorachi Saison clone from Brooklyn Brewery. Unfortunately, I don't think they distribute that in bottles down here.

Nice! I'm gonna be brewing up an American Wheat with Sorachi and Amarillo this weekend. I'm shooting for similar to Three Floyd's Gumbalhead but with the Sorachi kick. From what I've read most people suggest wheat/hefe styles or Saison with Sorachi. The latest BYO has a good looking sorachi Saison clone from Brooklyn Brewery. Unfortunately, I don't think they distribute that in bottles down here.

What yeast are you thinking of using? I've got a belgian I recently cleaned up that I'd like to use before too much longer. I've never had a Gumballhead
but read it's very good.

Something clean. I was thinking US-05 or equivalent but I read recently that Three Floyd's uses 1968 ESB in all their beers. I think I'm gonna go with that.

I hadn't tried the Gumballhead until the last group grain buy meet-up where someone, I think Volsfan, brought some. It indeed was quite delicious!

you can get the Brooklyn sorachi at midtown thats where I got it and it was definitely interesting a lemon zest with a slight dill finish. I think frugals also has it but on the liquor side as its over 6% abv

you can get the Brooklyn sorachi at midtown thats where I got it and it was definitely interesting a lemon zest with a slight dill finish.

I agree. Drink this before committing to heavy use of Sorachi Ace, I'm glad I did as I sure as hell wouldn't be able to drink 5 gallons of an all Sorachi beer.

Most Three Floyds beers are heavy on "hop bursting". They bitter light, depending on style, then throw a butt load of aroma hops in the last few minutes of the boil and dry hop. I have made a Gumballhead using Falconer's Flight through boil and dry hop with Amarillo. Flavor was near perfect side by side. If you're interested, I can post the recipe...
I would use this recipe and add Sorachi at the last or dry hop. It sounds like a good match, I have used Galaxy in this recipe and it was good.

Most Three Floyds beers are heavy on "hop bursting". They bitter light, depending on style, then throw a butt load of aroma hops in the last few minutes of the boil and dry hop. I have made a Gumballhead using Falconer's Flight through boil and dry hop with Amarillo. Flavor was near perfect side by side. If you're interested, I can post the recipe...
I would use this recipe and add Sorachi at the last or dry hop. It sounds like a good match, I have used Galaxy in this recipe and it was good.

Def. I'd be interested to see it.

Sorry for lying guys, but I didn't want to lose out on any of the Amarillo and the Ahtanum, oh and the Sorachai Ace as well. The first order has been placed.

I will pm out payment information to Brad, Marc, and Jim.

I did buy a couple extra pounds of Amarillo pellets, let me know guys. It looks like all the hops we requested will be available, just waiting to find out when they will be available for us to take delivery of.

Our group buy hops or the ones from label peelers?

5 lbs Wheat Malt (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Carahell (10.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Honey Malt (25.0 SRM)
.5 oz Falconer's Flight @ FWH
.5 oz Falconer's Flight @ 30
1.0 oz Falconer's Flight @ 15
1.0 oz Falconer's Flight @ 5
Safale US-05
Primary as you like, I went 2 weeks then transfered to secondary with
1.5 oz Amarillo whole hops for 1 week, cold crash 2 days then add gelatin and sit a couple more then keg or bottle.
The taste was very close, the color was some what lighter.
A damn good beer!

Thanks for the recipe volsfan. I also have a pound of Falconer's Flight sitting around so maybe I'll do a combo of that, Amarillo and Sorachi.

Thanks for the tip on finding the Brooklyn Sorachi, Suho! I swung by and got me a bomber today. It's chilling in the fridge and I'll have to sample tomorrow. I got a bomber of the Meantime IPA while I was there too. That damn store is a money trap for me. I gotta quit running out of homebrew!

here was my take on gumballhead

2.27 kg of pils
2.27 kg of wheat malt

.5oz 30min amarillo
.5oz 15min amarillo
1oz 10min amarillo
1oz 5min amarillo
1oz 1min amarillo

dry hop with 2oz amarillo 7 days
used us-05

here was my take on gumballhead

2.27 kg of pils
2.27 kg of wheat malt

.5oz 30min amarillo
.5oz 15min amarillo
1oz 10min amarillo
1oz 5min amarillo
1oz 1min amarillo

dry hop with 2oz amarillo 7 days
used us-05

Why the kg usage? We generally deal in pounds not kilograms.

shush Bobby its so much easier to take a recipe from percentages in kg than lb.

ya ya ya I know carter but i figured that the oz on the hops was easier in this case.

Happy with label peelers, good prices and fast shipping. Hopefully we will have our group hops soon though and I won't have to buy from them for a while. :tank:

Just wanted to update - I drank the Sorachi Saison over the weekend and thought it was terrific. I think my next brew will be a play off of the BYO recipe but add in a little Motueka and Citra hops flavor.

For my Gumballhead-ish brew I went with Falconer's Flight at 60 & 5, Sorachi @ 20,10,0 and Amarillo @ 15 (3.75 oz total, mostly stacked at the end). Will dry hop with mostly Amarillo and a little Sorachi. We'll see how it turns out in another month!

Just wanted to update - I drank the Sorachi Saison over the weekend and thought it was terrific. I think my next brew will be a play off of the BYO recipe but add in a little Motueka and Citra hops flavor.

For my Gumballhead-ish brew I went with Falconer's Flight at 60 & 5, Sorachi @ 20,10,0 and Amarillo @ 15 (3.75 oz total, mostly stacked at the end). Will dry hop with mostly Amarillo and a little Sorachi. We'll see how it turns out in another month!

The Gumballhead sounds awesome! We need to trade bottles. I did almost the same thing with Galaxy where you added Sorachi. I am going to use all Amarillo for dry-hop.:mug:
I will have to throw in an original for comparison...

Hey Party People, been talking with Bobby about the hop order. We are over/under on a number of the varieties, and we need to get the numbers to 11# increments (11, 22, 33, 44) so that when the order can actually be placed, all these issues will already have been resolved and we can start collecting money. This is a list of hops that we will need some cooperation in meeting the totals:

Palisade - 4
Cascade - 38
Chinook - 9
Columbus - 23.5
Centennial Type - 3
CZ Saaz - 11.5
Galena - 7
GR Hallertau MF - 12.5
GR N Brewer - 12
GR Tettang - 17
Magnum - 13.5
Mt. Hood - 9
Nugget - 11.5
Willamette - 23
UK K Golding - 14

Hey Party People, been talking with Bobby about the hop order. We are over/under on a number of the varieties, and we need to get the numbers to 11# increments (11, 22, 33, 44) so that when the order can actually be placed, all these issues will already have been resolved and we can start collecting money. This is a list of hops that we will need some cooperation in meeting the totals:

Palisade - 4
Cascade - 38
Chinook - 9
Columbus - 23.5
Centennial Type - 3
CZ Saaz - 11.5
Galena - 7
GR Hallertau MF - 12.5
GR N Brewer - 12
GR Tettang - 17
Magnum - 13.5
Mt. Hood - 9
Nugget - 11.5
Willamette - 23
UK K Golding - 14

Should we try to coordinate this here in the thread rather than have everyone go in and start editing the spreadsheet again?

volsfan, that sounds like a plan! I intend to start a 10 day dry hop the week after xmas so mine should be ready after a force carb early January.

I'm thinking the hop buy could turn into a mexican standoff! I'll go first and drop a couple of mine to 0.5 pound that are just over the mark. Edited the sheet and here's where we are now on those varieties:

CZ Saaz - closed
GR Hallertau MF - closed
GR N Brewer - 11.5
Willamette - 22.5

I don't see Pallisade or Cent. Type making it, so could probably go ahead and remove those. Now someone jump on that Chinook, Mt Hood, and Galena and get us to the mark!

I am thinking of adding Cluster to the sheet, is anybody interested? I was thinking that some folks who wanted the Cascade could jump on the Cluster and we could bring down the Cascades to the multiple of 11.

I dropped 3lbs or 20% of my order so I'm down to singles. Guess if it become a standoff you could always start with column z and start cutting.

Back