TN/Northern GA/Southern KY - Hop Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. Looks like there is going to be some major movment in the Aroma Hop prices this next year and wont balance out till 2014.
So whats the contract price. Does it work like a Futures contract where you actually buy it at todays price hoping to offset the cost increase in the future or is it just a verbal reservation.

I see we are pretty far from filling any of the variety's on a 11# basis. So how are you'll planning on deliberating the in's and out's? I think maybe cancel any that don't have at least 6 and everybody pitch in to finish the rest. To quote Paul, "Come on Ladies" lets get this done and ordered..:mug:

When you do contracts on hops you lock in today's price in,hopes that you save money. I am waiting to hear from the contract guy at hop union.

I see we are pretty far from filling any of the variety's on a 11# basis. So how are you'll planning on deliberating the in's and out's? I think maybe cancel any that don't have at least 6 and everybody pitch in to finish the rest. To quote Paul, "Come on Ladies" lets get this done and ordered..:mug:

If we don't have at least 8 pounds then that hop will not be purchased. A lot of movement will have to take place

Do we have a system for who gets cut when we have an order for, let's say, 16# of cascade? Who will be the 5# cut if we can't get up to 21#?

Do we have a system for who gets cut when we have an order for, let's say, 16# of cascade? Who will be the 5# cut if we can't get up to 21#?

We still have a couple of guys who haven't checked in on the sheet. The guys in Atlanta were down for a good number of hops. By mid-week we should be able to see what hops will be purchased and which ones will need to be eliminated. Just remember this, not all the varieties that we have on the sheet may be available. If we go over the amount and don't get to the next 11# Dave and I will have to talk to see who was the last couple in. Some people may be willing to take less than 1# of that hop as well.

I was reading about the new Zythos hop blend (Simcoe, Amarillo, Citra, and Palisade combo). Could we add that to the spreadsheet for the contract buy? Is anyone else interested in it?

The hops that had 0# have been taken off of the spreadsheet. I moved some German Magnum to some US Magnum and I did the same for the German Northern Brewer. Dave or I will be eliminating some more hops either later today or tomorrow.

I added Zythos as it is available. It is a blend of different hops, mostly Centennial. Not sure on the price yet.

I added Zythos as it is available. It is a blend of different hops, mostly Centennial. Not sure on the price yet.

Should be pretty decently priced. They were giving away 4oz samples to get you hooked, a couple months ago.

The reason for the giveaway, I believe, is to get the pro brewers to see that they don't have to have Citra, Amarillo, Simcoe, and several other hard to find hops to make an IPA.

I might be blind, but I couldn't find Zythos on the spreadsheet, but I'm in for a pound of it.

As long as we end up with whole numbers I could care less about splitting half pounds out. I refuse to go any smaller.

Glad to see Zythos getting some love today! I wish the Motueka would have made the cut; that one sounded interesting to me.

Who am I kidding though? I'm already not sure how I'm going to sneak 16 pounds of hops into the freezer without ole SWMBO pitching a fit! Maybe I'll package the hops in some Lean Cuisine cartons...

Glad to see Zythos getting some love today! I wish the Motueka would have made the cut; that one sounded interesting to me.

Who am I kidding though? I'm already not sure how I'm going to sneak 16 pounds of hops into the freezer without ole SWMBO pitching a fit! Maybe I'll package the hops in some Lean Cuisine cartons...

Yeah I wished Motueka made it because the few ounces I have smell absolutely amazing...quite possibly the best smelling hop I've come across.

...oh and you may want to store them in some HungryMan cartons; I doubt she'll ever check those vs some Lean Cuisine boxes :D

I am not sure that Motueka was actually available, but I will try to remember to ask. I have to fill out some paperwork before we can even see what is available. I can tell you that Summit isn't available.

If Galena and Chinook aren't counted (looks like they wont make the next cut) we are still 30lbs away from making this work.

What's up guys. New here form west tn. Dave hollered at me and told me you guys were pretty cool. I will more than likely get in on future group buys when I become more involved. if you want to know a little more about me I posted up on the newbie thread. See you around.

Paperwork has been submitted to Hop Union, once approved our request for hops can go forward. I hope that all of our Hops are available. Cascades and Gr. Northern Brewer are both closed.

Don can you reduce your Goldings order? We need to get to 11# and we are at 13. I am willing to split my pound with another brewer who order just one pound.

I am ready to move my Galena if we are going to close it. I can't update the spreadsheet from here it seems. I imagine it does work, it's just taking time to update maybe.

If there is someone who can check if there in there, I'm in for 1# Zythos, 1# Pallisades, 1# Magnum (replace the Summit which is unavailable)

I added a new hop, Centennial Type. It is 70% Columbus and 30% Cascades mixed together. Not sure on the price.

Remember that if a hop is at 11# it is closed. We are over a # on both Zythos, Goldings, & Magnum.

I just added a few to finish a couple sacks. I'll add some more if need be to get this done. Any idea when were rappin this up?

Back