TN/Northern GA/Southern KY - Hop Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have come across another opportunity for our hop buy. It should have a much more extensive listing of hops to choose from, but we will need to put together a list of varieties that we want and then send it off so that they can tell us if they have the hop in stock. I realize this seems counterintuitive. Why not just tell us what they have in stock and proceed from there, but this is how they have requested us to do the buy. The minimum lb for each variety will have to be in 11# increments. There is going to be a lot less flexibility than the current arrangement that we have where we can order e.g., 8# or 17# etc. There are significant price differences though between the two options. So each has pros and cons.

I have posted a link below and then will be sending an email out momentarily to everyone, that is part of the zoho hop buy, but I will be using Google Docs again. It will work better for sharing the file. Please take a look at the email and then look through the .pdf. Post in this thread requests of hops that you would like to order. I will compile them into one sheet, and then we can send it off to determine if the hops will actually be able to be ordered. We can give about a week to put this list together.

As always, there are hops NOT available to begin with: Centennial, Simcoe, Citra, Amarillo, Australiain Galaxy, Nelson Sauvian, Falconer's Flight, Sorachi Ace; yeah the good ones, I know.

Be aware that we are experiencing issues with getting preferred aroma hops this year, but it is also speculated that we will be experiencing very similar issues next year with bittering hops. So keep this in mind when putting a list together of requested varieties.

EDIT: WORKING ON FIXING LINK **Appears to be on Google's end** Email has been sent out instead.

It is not decided for certain that we are changing hop farms, but it is just another option for us. We'll post with updates, so keep an eye out for them.

^ ^ ^
This leads to something else for everyone to ponder upon...hops that we should consider for contracting out next year. Here is a potential list:
Simcoe
Cascade
Centennial
UK Fuggle
EKG
Citra
Sorachi Ace
Hallertau
Falconers Flight
Amarillo

Add to it, if you have any other ideas.

Citra is a no go too.

It's as if I couldn't read. Twice I chose ones that aren't available. :drunk:

I'm pretty new to the scene, so maybe you guys could explain some of the better hops that are now available with the new deal that might interest me. Might be able to help get a couple to the pound limit.

I'm pretty new to the scene, so maybe you guys could explain some of the better hops that are now available with the new deal that might interest me. Might be able to help get a couple to the pound limit.

There are no "better" hops, just buy on what styles you plan to brew.

_

As WildWest mentioned, what styles do you brew? That would be a good starting point, and then work your way backwards from there. We could help with suggestions from that point. :mug:

I agree Amarillo should be in that list to get contracted out ah simcoe citra too. I would say do it like the grain buys you know in say 11# bags and go from there. just going from zoho list I would say we should be good on quite a few.

Check your emails. I have sent the file out. Google is screwing up, thus the 404 error most of you are receiving.

Too many emails to go through. I'm down with either. But prefer sooner than later. I'm down to 6-7 oz. After doing my Pliny clone.

I thought Dave was going to post a spreadsheet, but I guess he hasn't gotten around to it. Damn college kids, they are all a bunch of flakes:D

We could just modify the existing spreadsheet to 11# partials to fill.

If we do that there is really no reason to go with Hop Union. The reason to switch to Hop Union is for the variety that they offer. I sent off and e-mail to Hop Union early yesterday inquiring about the availability of certain hop varieties for both spot buying and contract buying.

Why do my orders keep disappearing? I've put them up there 3 times and saved, and when I go back in, all my slots are empty again.

Thanks,

2# Cascade
1# Chinook
1# Columbus
1# CZ Saaz
1# Galena
1# CR N Brewer
1# Mt. Hood
1# Summit
1# Williamette
1# UK Fuggle

Ok, check your order now. I went to an earlier version of the doc and saw your order; check to see if it is correct.

Good thing we double-checked...originally you were down for 1# Magnum instead of 1# Mt. Hood :D Everything should be good now.

I'm in Illinois still after a Michigan beat down. Ill leave shortly if they don't run me out first. I'll enter mine when I get back. Go Blue!

Only 5 varieties filled? Cmon ladies order some hops, daddy needs to brew a crapload of beer this year.

-

Ok, check your order now. I went to an earlier version of the doc and saw your order; check to see if it is correct.

Looks good. I updated for the contract buy too, but if I'm not showing up there, could you put me down for:

2# Citra
2# Simcoe
2# Sorachi
1# Cascade
1# Centennial
1# FF IPA
1# UK Fuggles

Thanks.

I see that a couple of you want Chinook, but I think it is not available. I am waiting on an e-mail from Hop Union on the availability of several hop varieties.

Back