This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The emissions are only less if the gas engine is functioning properly though. That's why you have emissions test it still.

All that battery does for you is allow the engine to run at more efficient speeds when its running (so uses less fuel and ideally less emissions), and recover some energy when braking. Other than that's still fundamentally the same as a normal car. Even then the fuel savings aren't that significant.

Ok. That's true.

...but I still find it annoying.

The Lexus needs tested but not the Camry. All has to do where it's registered.

Where I live when a car hits 25 years old they stop testing it. Seems to me the older a car gets the more likely it is to be a polluter.

Where I live when a car hits 25 years old they stop testing it. Seems to me the older a car gets the more likely it is to be a polluter.

Right. The older the car is the more it pollutes if maintenance is not kept up.

That's how they should apply registration fees too. The older they are the higher the registration fee. It would give incentive replace old cars. It would probably generate state revenue from fines too, failing to renew you pay a fine. The downside is it would make it harder for the poor to own cars.

'Twas a wee bit of a poke at the State that appears to send most of its Governors and many of its Mayors and others off to a retirement home called prison. Illinois may not have invented corruption, but they must study it and teach it since they are so damn good at it.

'Twas a wee bit of a poke at the State that appears to send most of its Governors and many of its Mayors and others off to a retirement home called prison. Illinois may not have invented corruption, but they must study it and teach it since they are so damn good at it.

Yeah, Blago wanted to be pardoned last month. My guess when Obama found out, he jokingly said, "It's gonna cost yah!"

Or, "I have this thing and it's golden..." with a $hit eating grin.

I wonder if I had a Volt and had a Chicago address if I'd get the notice for testing. I can imagine the knucklehead trying to find the exhaust pipe....
I'm guessing he'd have a rather easy time finding it. It's on the drivers side, hidden behind the rear apron.

Chevy Volt, or more precisely Opel Ampera, is an EREV, or extended range electric vehicle. It does have a petrol engine which however is not connected to the powertrain, it only spins a generator providing electricity when the batteries deplete. Whereas the new Chevy Bolt that was released just now is a fully electric vehicle.

Right. The older the car is the more it pollutes if maintenance is not kept up.

That's how they should apply registration fees too. The older they are the higher the registration fee. It would give incentive replace old cars. It would probably generate state revenue from fines too, failing to renew you pay a fine. The downside is it would make it harder for the poor to own cars.
Replacing cars isn't that energy efficient. It takes a lot of resources to build a car. That's my story and I'm sticking to it (says the guy driving a 1975 Land Cruiser). :D

don't ask me to put a bread in the oven for you unless you will back in the next 30 seconds to
serve it to your costumers.... though dost not wanteth these hands

You should come to Oregon. Right now the rivers are in the parks.

When the river is inaccessible from the park built right along its banks.

Yeah!! .... and when the bank is inaccessable from the park but not from the river. :D

wc-chase-bank-flooded.jpg

I've got 2 Marshall 100-watt amps into a 3/4-stack cabinet in the basement and have had bands playing in the brew/band room since we moved in 7 years ago

in the 80s the BigHair used to tour with her 1st husband's hair metal band (where she got her nickname, BigHairRockerChick)

and this morning I'm listening to some tunes on my HEADPHONES (if you must know: Elton John's live version of Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding from his '74 Thanksgiving Day concert at Madison Square Gardens. probably some of the best live music ever made in my lifetime. later in the show he brings John Lennon on stage to play 3 songs. it would be Lennon's last major performance before his death)

anyway, back to the annoying part: she tells me it's too loud :mad::confused::(

People who park their cars so close to the dog boom at our local convenience store I gotta practically half hang the dog to the boom so the stupid mutt won't go sniffing behind the wheels and get squished when the A-hole takes off. And this happens even though the parking lot would be completely empty, and it isn't even the closest spot to the door!

People who don't mind their children while eating out at a buffet.

Today I saw a kid serving himself fruit salad with his hands in the fruit salad. Another kid who took about a pound of bacon.

The guilty party happens to be a relative. Who claims the rule about accompanying children to the buffet line is stupid. Their child knows how to behave themselves. They miss the point about wasted food and the fact the stuff they're serving the food in is hot.

Just dumb and inconsiderate.

Yeah!! .... and when the bank is inaccessable from the park but not from the river. :D

wc-chase-bank-flooded.jpg

Nice that they had a fishing dock already ready.

People who park their cars so close to the dog boom at our local convenience store I gotta practically half hang the dog to the boom so the stupid mutt won't go sniffing behind the wheels and get squished when the A-hole takes off. And this happens even though the parking lot would be completely empty, and it isn't even the closest spot to the door!

Dog boom? I get it from the context, but dog boom?

What really grinds my gears, people regularly quoting a person's entire post when they could parse out just the relevant fraction of it, or break it up into several smaller quotes when you're looking at answering questions one at a time (I think I've seen that done around here).

And at times it really frustrates me when it is the SECOND freakin' post, the post immediately following the original post in a thread, that you have the original post quoted in its entirety. Who/what the heck else might you be responding to? I don't think I've ever seen someone accidentally respond to thread/post in a different thread. I have never been on a thread in the Fermentation & Yeast sub-forum with the original poster asking how to make a yeast starter where the second post had instructions to cough when the person feels something rumbling in their stomachs in response to a question from a thread on the DR&MM sub-forum where someone asks how to hide their loud flatulence.

We may be a forum of people who enjoy fermented and distilled beverages, but I hardly see instances of people being so inebriated that they go completely off-topic and answer a question from another thread already on the second dang post. And if you are that bad off, is quoting even going to help with that?

What really grinds my gears, people regularly quoting a person's entire post when they could parse out just the relevant fraction of it, or break it up into several smaller quotes when you're looking at answering questions one at a time (I think I've seen that done around here).

And at times it really frustrates me when it is the SECOND freakin' post, the post immediately following the original post in a thread, that you have the original post quoted in its entirety. Who/what the heck else might you be responding to? I don't think I've ever seen someone accidentally respond to thread/post in a different thread. I have never been on a thread in the Fermentation & Yeast sub-forum with the original poster asking how to make a yeast starter where the second post had instructions to cough when the person feels something rumbling in their stomachs in response to a question from a thread on the DR&MM sub-forum where someone asks how to hide their loud flatulence.

We may be a forum of people who enjoy fermented and distilled beverages, but I hardly see instances of people being so inebriated that they go completely off-topic and answer a question from another thread already on the second dang post. And if you are that bad off, is quoting even going to help with that?

You know people are just going to quote you out of principle. Right?

Often wonder if a full quote is spam like, but often feel too lazy to edit the quote in a drunken rambling and mindless mumbling section.

Dog boom? I get it from the context, but dog boom?

Well don't know a better name for it either :D A wooden crossbeam bolted atop two uprights with pigtail hooks screwed into it. Never seen one anywhere else either. It's kinda funny to tie your dog into it when going to the store, kinda like you'd do in the wild west with your horse :D

One of my biggest pet peaves: false promises kids cartoon channels make. "By letting your kids watch this cartoon, they'll be learning problem solving, social skills, kitesurfing and calculus" NO THEY WILL NOT! At best they will be mildly entertained for a while!

that's what they called them back in the day, hitch your horse to the post and head into the saloon

not really a thing in the states, but they probably some hipsterish *****y name for them now

people either bring their dogs into the store - "he's a SERVICE critter!" - or leave them in their car - which are two more ON-TOPIC entries for this thread.

Most of the grocery stores around here have these circular grocery bag carousels now where the cashiers put the groceries in the bag and then spin it so the customer can put them in their cart. Like this:

RalphsPL-chkotlns-jc01.jpg

If the cashier spins counterclockwise, the filled bag goes directly to the customer who can then put it in their cart. If the cashier spins it clockwise, it must make a full revolution before the customer gets their filled grocery bag. When it is spun clockwise, at the end after the customer pays, they have to grab a bag, spin it a bit more, grab another bag, etc. until they have all of their bags. If the idiot cashier would just spin it counterclockwise, the customer can get their bags as they go, and then after they finish paying, they can simply leave, rather than hold up the line to get the rest of their groceries.

What I find most amazing is that a manager has not mandated that the cashiers all spin the correct way. Over the course of a day (week, month, etc.) throughout all the cashiers, there is a lot of lost productivity due to having to wait for the customer who just paid to get their bags before they can start checking out the next customer.

I know. First world problems...

that's what they called them back in the day, hitch your horse to the post and head into the saloon

not really a thing in the states, but they probably some hipsterish *****y name for them now

You mean something like Gender Neutral Horse Respite and the the horses mane and tail are tied up in man buns. Yeah that would annoy me.

people either bring their dogs into the store - "he's a SERVICE critter!" - or leave them in their car.

In most places the store people are not allowed to question a SERVICE critter's legitimacy.
I'm waiting to see the world's first SERVICE yak.

This is totally a first-world annoyance, but here goes: Some friends have gone back to school (and seriously, good for them - I'm really happy for them) but they "like" college memes that their young classmates post on facebook. It's all variations on "OMG college is SOOOOO HARD! I can't possibly get all the work associated with my 15 credit semester done!!"

Good God, shut the f*** up, kids. Wait until you get to the real world. I roll my eyes whenever I see someone moaning about how impossibly difficult undergrad is.

Hah. 15 credits. ^^ A few years back I topped off about 22 credits while working 4 days a week. Let them get to grad school and then they can talk

I'm teaching a lab course and people complain about being in three science courses. Psssh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back