The Nice People Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HawksBrewer said:
I don't know if it's brand new, but it was new to us. Gio's on Damen/Ainslie in Ravenswood. Actually pretty decent BBQ and an excellent draft list, including Alpha King, Anti-Hero, Lil Sumpin Sumpin, Lagunitas IPA and others.

That's my hood. I live between Western & Damen on Foster. I haven't been there though.

When I was driving I used to do a "nice thing" that was actually a little cruel now that I think about it. I'd pay for the guy behind me when the toll was cheap and I was bored. People will follow you closely for miles trying to figure out if you are an old friend of theirs. When they do finally pull up along side you and get a good look at you, smile and wave... now they are even more confused.

For a mere $1.25 you can befuddle another human being for a whole day.

When I was driving I used to do a "nice thing" that was actually a little cruel now that I think about it. I'd pay for the guy behind me when the toll was cheap and I was bored. People will follow you closely for miles trying to figure out if you are an old friend of theirs. When they do finally pull up along side you and get a good look at you, smile and wave... now they are even more confused.

That's actually pretty funny, and still nice if you ask me.

Recently I helped a woman carry a HUGE frakkin folding table that weighed about 100 lbs from her car to her office inside a community center. She was extremely thankful that a stranger who was just walking by and saw her struggling would stop and offer help. I have no idea how she thought she was going to move that thing alone. It was like 8' long and heavy as hell.

I was at the grocery store after work today. While I stood at the meat counter, a little old lady behind me spilled all of her coins from her coin purse on the floor. I helped her pick them up, put them in her coin purse for her...then showed her my hands to let her know I didn't take any from her.
That little old lady never did say "thank you".

Last year, around Christmas time, someone in front of me in the drive thru, paid for my morning coffee. I am not a morning person so it took a while for me to understand what was going on. "wait... what? Who did? Why?" I gotta admit, it put me in a great mood all day.

I also love weddings, puppies, and how women dress in the summer. Just pure happiness.

Krovitz said:
I also love weddings, puppies, and how women dress in the summer. Just pure happiness.

I am in downtown Chicago tonight at Millenium Park. It's all gorgeous women in little clothing. It's very nice.

Last year, around Christmas time, someone in front of me in the drive thru, paid for my morning coffee. I am not a morning person so it took a while for me to understand what was going on. "wait... what? Who did? Why?" I gotta admit, it put me in a great mood all day.

I saw a story in the paper about a coffee shop promoting this "pay for the next persons coffee". And they were trying to see how far it would go before someone just took the free coffee and ran :D

Last month we were baking a cake for my daughter's 6th birthday, it was about midnight when we realised there was not enough butter to make iceing. So I rush out the the 24hr gas station to grab some... but when I got there and went to pay I realised I had forgotten my card, luckly the lady behind me was nice enugh to spring for the block of butter! this reminds me to get out to her hotel for a beer and show her a picture of the awesome cake she help make :D

I'm gonna have to tell my fun story, even though I was the nice guy. I hate to brag, but sometimes I'm an actual decent human being!

In line at the grocery store today, I was checking out a cartful and a lady with a single pack of tortillas walks up behind me. There weren't any other lanes open, so I asked the cashier if she could just ring her tortillas in my order, sack them, and let send this lady on her way. You'd of think I gave her a winning lottery ticket, she praised my kindness a bunch, as well as the cashier, and I just smiled and said "have a great day!" She said she would, and that she'd pay it forward when she could. I didn't realize the impact of buying someone tortillas could have. Maybe she was almost flat broke and having a **** day. Either way, /CSB.

The other day I was at the grocery store with my two boys. After loading the groceries into the van, my five year old pushed the cart back into the cart corral by himself, as I walked beside him carrying his younger brother. An older gentleman walked over to us and congratulated my son on being responsible, and gave him a quarter. Totally made his day! (And mine too, honestly)

I saw a story in the paper about a coffee shop promoting this "pay for the next persons coffee". And they were trying to see how far it would go before someone just took the free coffee and ran :D

Don't ruin this for me! ;)

Don't ruin this for me! ;)

Not implying anything about you man:D I think the coffee shop in the article was specifically telling people "the last guy paid for your coffee, would you like to pass it on and pay for the next persons?"

My neighbor offered to buy the apple juice if I'd ferment for her. Then we'll split it. :) She really liked my hard cider.

I got to have dinner with my daughter tonight at Red Lobster. It was really good, and I paid with 5 gift cards. Winning!

still have a job where i can pay all the bills, buy more stuff, and brew when i want. still above ground. on a business trip to louisiana, and no alligators have taken my legs off at the knees. no sounds of pigs squealing or banjoes. must be doing something right :D

This thread is great! Love reading everyone's posts.

I don't get to say it enough, but my life rocks. Happily married, love what I do (I'm a PhD student), great group of friends, and mostly happy and healthy family. I wake up thankful every single day. My wife is pregnant with our first baby, due in November.

As for a recent anecdote that made me happy? My wife usually has a sip of whatever beer I'm drinking, then maybe one more sip halfway through. She's been a Miller Lite drinker since she was old enough, and her whole family is too. I've got plenty of homebrew on tap, so that's what she's been sipping recently. Yesterday, we were doing a tour of Lambeau Field and ate at Curly's Pub for lunch. I decided to order a Miller Lite with lunch, first one in a long time....I guess it was the football/Green Bay/blue collar atmosphere. My wife has a sip, makes a face, and says "Ew. I definitely don't want another sip of that." I was SO PROUD!

My friend Laura is coming over to help me pick berries because she loves me. Also, I let someone live despite what they did to me. And a guy named Philip gave me a ride home when it was to hot to keep walking. Then he came over a couple days later to check on me and hubby. And he bought a lawn mower motor from us while he was here. Told hubby don't let me walk down the road like that and hubby said he tries to stop me from doing stuff like that but usually it's a waste of time. And I made it home without being murdered or harmed in any way.

Last week I changed a tire for a mother and daughter that were stuck on the shoulder of a busy road. I was out running and they looked like they really needed help. They seemed surprised and nervous to accept but were extremely grateful. I felt really good about myself, even though the first mile of my run took 22min and the next 3 miles included being covered in grease and dirt.

You tryin to reverse psychology me? You can't reverse psychology me.

See below

Or can he? Can't he?

This.

Last night my wife took me out to a nice French restaurant for father's day/birthday. I was waiting in line at the parking machine (Chicago) and the older lady in front of me had trouble with it. Her husband tried to help but they had trouble seeing and following the directions. I offered to step in and helped them pick out their time/swipe CC correctly/print the ticket. They were very appreciative. The dinner was amazing. All in all a great night.

Hubby's been trying to woo me back and today he brought me a gift. Said he checked every store in town to find the best one. Something I've always wanted. An extra heavy duty spray nozzle for my water hose with a huge variety of settings. He's not sure what all I go in my garden, but he knows I go through a lot of spray nozzles and I'm always complaining about the one I have. Yeah! I love it! :cross:

No problem with this thread because of its point.
I like the nice people who post things about beer on a homebrew forum.

Originally Posted by CBMbrewer
No problem with this thread because of its point.
I like the nice people who post things about beer on a homebrew forum.
I don't like that post. It was barely even beer related.

Damn. Fell right into my own trap there.

Back