The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I had a choice and could only drink one beer HopSlam or GumballHead...
I would choose GUMBALLHEAD!
It is everything I want in a beer and more (wasn't that a commercial?-jk).

As he pauses and turns his head sideways to take a drink of Gumballhead... so NASCAR of you... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A while back we were looking for a MOBS mascot.

For your consideration...
giorgio-beer.JPG

I'm now a rebel convert i think. I went up and hung out for a couple hours today and got to talk brewing with Tyler and some of the other patrons. Had a great time and the couple beers they've got for sampling are fantastic! I also managed to get some feedback on my winter warmer!

edit: and another brew day in the books! things that got done today:

I coiled and used my 50' 3/8" immersion cooler - 13 minutes to cool ~2.5 gallons from boil to 70*F
Repitched my first harvested years - WL0002 English Ale, pulled from my winter warmer secondary- so we'll see how that goes, hopefully i'm not scrambling to repitch in the next few days.
Brewed my first beer where i didn't just copy a known recipe. It's nothing special (reprinted below) but I think it's going to be exactly what I wanted from it.
My pending brew date provoked me to clean the stove and counters in the kitchen really well. Also the disgusting mini fridge which i intend to use as a ferment chamber.
Realized that I still don't know how to properly whirlpool the wort before siphoning to the primary. The good news, is that the paint strainer bags + a coarse mesh filter was enough to keep all the leaf hops and the cold break material out. (Btw- how much cold break material should there be? I had maybe 3-5 tbsp worth of cold break material in the strainer bag after transferring)

Session Pale Ale - Extract - 3 gallon wort boil, dilute to 5 gallon primary
5.25# Briess Golden Light DME
2# Crystal 40, 30 minutes @ 150 (although somehow i had trouble getting mine to 150 and it kept hovering around 145 or jumping to 155 so i left it down @ 145)
t=60 .5oz Magnum pellet 13.6%
t=30 .25oz Centennial whole 11.6%
t=10 .5oz Centennial whole 11.6%
6.4oz (~.4 pint) Yeast Slurry

(Btw- how much cold break material should there be? I had maybe 3-5 tbsp worth of cold break material in the strainer bag after transferring)

I don't think there is a right answer for that question. It depends on how fast you chill the wort from my experience. When I started using a counterflow chiller my cold break was ENORMOUS.

DSCN3164.jpg

That's from a boil to 64f in seconds (the time it takes to flow through the copper coil), it takes about 5-8 minutes to fill the carboy depending on the pump flow speed.

dang, so you don't even have to recirculate the wort back through the chiller? just one way through and it's to temp? that's pretty incredible! I always assumed one had to run the wort through the chiller at least a couple times.

dang, so you don't even have to recirculate the wort back through the chiller? just one way through and it's to temp? that's pretty incredible! I always assumed one had to run the wort through the chiller at least a couple times.

Nope, one pass and it's good to go. It's better with the colder tap water this time of year, I can almost get down to lager pitching temps.

I'm listening to a Brew Strong Q&A from September. They talk a lot about bacon doughnuts, but also discuss whirlpooling/chilling wort rapidly (around the 32min mark).

Here's the link: http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/membersarchive/bs_090511QA.mp3

A buddy and I were discussing this not too long ago. With the low-flow needed to chill through an IC, we're planning on using something small like an aquarium or a fountain pump to run ice water thru the IC.

Here's one that does 130 gph for <$20.

Or this one that does 75 gph for <$15.

I bought one of those cheap pumps (looked just like the one Dave linked, though I'm not positive it was the same GPH) and it was junk. It barely had the power to lift the water from the bottom of the keggle, up to the top of the immersion chiller. Maybe I was doing something wrong; in my anger at the situation I snapped the plastic output right off the thing by accident. So that was the end of that.

I got a plate chiller from duda diesel over XMas and it's the real deal. One pass to mid 60s in 5 minutes at most. I just circulate PBW and StarSan before and after each use so cleaning hasn't been an issue. I use a March pump from the boiler to the chiller. For $100, I'd highly recommend the chiller.

No, I got a 20 plate, this guy here - http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX2320BWGH

I opted for less plates and the longer length (12" vs 7.5"). Just comparing surface area, the 20 plate 12" chiller is equivalent to about a 32 plate 7.5" chiller. However, I'm no expert but here's my understanding, the velocity and pressure of the wort flow also effect the heat exchange (faster and lower being better respectively) which even given the same surface area, makes the longer chiller more efficient.

Maffewl- i'm a mechanical engineer.

I think i just found someone with some kegs in the area that are for sale, might be well on my way to a keggle! (or 3!)

Also, the gods of fermentation must hate me. My most recent batch has gone something like this:
Pitch @ 68, put into fermentation chamber (AKA: unhooked fridge with nothing in it) and wrap in a blanket ((I keep my house around 68 and it tends to run cold at night))
Next morning, no activity.
Next afternoon, starting activity, still raised to 70
next morning, good activity, dropped to 66- so i popped my little ceramic heater in the fridge and ran it while i brushed my teeth. the thermometer on the bucket showed 68 afterwards so i closed it back up.
got home and it showed 78 (healthy yeast much?) so i've opened the door up and removed the blanket in an attempt to drop it back down to 68-70.

.... i've got to invest in a fermentation temperature control solution of some sort. Seems like the fastest solution would be a water bath with aquarium heaters in it, inside the fridge, which is then plugged in through one of the temp controllers. Super energy inefficient and still probably will only maintain ferm temps +-3 degrees.

If i didn't live in an apartment have and have none of the tools i used to have access to, i could build myself a fermentation cabinet.... i really could use some additional draw-space in my apartment anyway... or better yet- some extra counter space.

Hopefully i can get out and meet lots of you guys soon and schmooz one of you into giving me access to some basic wood-working tools. LoL.

Maffewl- i'm a mechanical engineer.

My brother is a ME. I'm an Architect, that's why I was wondering. With the Autocad comment, figured you had to be something close.

Also for a ferm. chamber, you could just move your non-working refrigerator outside and place a light bulb or two (or your heater) in it, and connect them to a temperature controller. Since it is staying around 60 or below, you only need heat.

My brother is a ME. I'm an Architect, that's why I was wondering. With the Autocad comment, figured you had to be something close.

Also for a ferm. chamber, you could just move your non-working refrigerator outside and place a light bulb or two (or your heater) in it, and connect them to a temperature controller. Since it is staying around 60 or below, you only need heat.

That might work... if i didn't live in apartments ;p

And yea, i actually posted a WTB on CL and got a hit from a guy in murfreesboro which works out well since thats where my GF lives. I'm not real sure how i think i'm going to implement a full size A/G setup while living in this apartment but i'll figure something out... Lease is up in May anyway so maybe i'll try and find a home to rent between here and Dickson...Wish 840 was done, Fairview would be an ideal place to live in terms of being between the boro and dickson, where i work.

I've wanted to start a thread that really has no outline...whatever happens, happens. Here's to the randomness spewed from our (possibly) sober or (more than likely) half-drunken selves, here in TN :mug:

...until next time.... :rockin:

Man, I thought this was going to be a review of a new TV series. I was pumped.

Should we do a script?

I wonder, has this been updated? Or are we all felons everytime we have a brew competition / pub crawl? lol

Code:
Updated: 9/2009
Statute

Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 7

(a)  Notwithstanding the provisions of this part, a private individual in the 
person's own home may manufacture and possess wine or beer in an 
amount not in excess of that amount annually permitted as of January 1,
 1997, by federal statutes and regulations relative to household manufacture
 and consumption; provided, that the wine or beer is for personal
 consumption by members and guests of the household. Such wine or beer
 may also be transported by the person, member or guest without being in
 violation of this part; provided, that the amount being transported at any
 one (1) time shall not exceed five (5) gallons.

(b)  It shall be inferred that transportation of more than five (5) gallons is 
for the purpose of resale or redistribution.

(c)  For purposes of this section, “beer” means the undistilled and unfortified
 product, of any name or description, of the normal alcoholic fermentation of
 malt or other ingredients except grapes.
Discussion

Allows for the home manufacturer of beer as well as wine, and allows such
 beer and wine to be served to and transported of up to 5 gallons at a time
 by members of the household, as well as guests.

I wonder, has this been updated? Or are we all felons everytime we have a brew competition / pub crawl? lol

Such wine or beer
may also be transported by the person, member or guest without being in
violation of this part; provided, that the amount being transported at any
one (1) time shall not exceed five (5) gallons.

(b) It shall be inferred that transportation of more than five (5) gallons is
for the purpose of resale or redistribution.

Allows for the home manufacturer of beer as well as wine, and allows such
beer and wine to be served to and transported of up to 5 gallons at a time
by members of the household, as well as guests.[/code]

I've transferred more than (5) gallons of wort but I've never transported more than (5) gallons of beer. Have you?

Hellz yes, how'd it turn out? You have to have good (proper) water to make one.

I think it turned out well. I made the recipe up myself without really any base other than BJCP style guidelines. Prrriiide and Amcclai7 tried it at that Knoxville brew-out we went to, maybe they can share their input. I also posted it for a guy looking to do a Bud Light clone for his die-hard BMC buddy... I told him it didn't taste anything like Bud Light, but if his buddy likes that style, he should like this. I asked him if he brewed it yet, and his response was

"As a matter of fact I did. Only I used simcoe hops @30min instead of only cascade(I like cascade but I love simcoe) it was fantastic but I bottle as well as keg and the bottled just keep getting better. Cascade&Simcoe age very well in bottles. My friend really enjoyed it his words: ("this is way better than bud light! You made this? Really!? You gotta teach me!") so to answer you question yeah it was a hit. Of corse, I gave most of the credit to HBT."

I'll try to run one over to your wife tomorrow after work if she's there. I'd like your input on it. Also, I'm not sure about the water profile, that's something I've been debating here recently is to get a sample of my water analyzed to really dial my process down.

No rush. I would like to see the recipe. I would HIGHLY recommend a water report, it is invaluable for certain beer styles. Water chemistry is such a boring subject, but crucial to ag brewing, imo. I'm fairly sure that your water is suitable for most styles, on the soft side with low mineral content, but it's nice to be sure.

I have a Baltic Porter that is almost ready to go (still lagering), I think technically it's my best beer to date. We need to do a brew day/tasting day shortly. I'm sure Dave has something good to offer as well.

It's nice to see you are over your hops only kick. It took me two years to burn out.

wildwest450 said:
No rush. I would like to see the recipe. I would HIGHLY recommend a water report, it is invaluable for certain beer styles. Water chemistry is such a boring subject, but crucial to ag brewing, imo. I'm fairly sure that your water is suitable for most styles, on the soft side with low mineral content, but it's nice to be sure.

I have a Baltic Porter that is almost ready to go (still lagering), I think technically it's my best beer to date. We need to do a brew day/tasting day shortly. I'm sure Dave has something good to offer as well.

It's nice to see you are over your hops only kick. It took me two years to burn out.

Damn! I want in on a brewday/tasting. I just really got into hop kick, so I' ve got another 1.5 years to go?

Damn! I want in on a brewday/tasting. I just really got into hop kick, so I' ve got another 1.5 years to go?

You're in! I'm actually craving some hops, time to ramp it back up. I went through the summer without brewing or drinking much homebrew, it was depressing, i'm coming out of it now.

Pace yourselves, n00bs!

Back