To Clean sealed unopened keg with the same thing, Or Not To Clean..blah blah blah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broken Crow

Ale's what cures 'ya
Reaction score
I was gonna post a question, probably in the ‘kegging’ category, but I’ve already used my shoulders and arms just a bit today so my cognition is already suffering and I don’t know where to begin or end….I’ve just had a marvellous stout. :p
There’s a 50L sanke full of cider sitting out in my van that I picked up yesterday and it has to go into a pair of 5G and a single 2.5G kegs. My GF and I left the house for the first time in January, to pick up her cider and then go grocery shopping….by the time we got to the grocery store, my spine had already had enough of the seating position that I was unable to go into the store with her and had to sit and wait in the parking lot. My neck is still degenerating and whole spine being spastic in response and it’s gotten worse in the last year.
I’ve been on hiatus from brewing my own beer for a while and concentrating on the distribution end while I slowly build a more ‘accessible’ brew-rig….typically my brewday involves a very long list I’ve made in advance because I know my cognition will be compromised in-process and I’ll spend the next three days in absolute agony, having to take a cocktail of opiate and muscle-relaxants and unable to perform even simple functions like feeding myself and whatnot. My LHBS is there to my rescue; They have a ‘we brew it for you’ service with some excellent offerings… Heck; they make cider which I haven’t done yet and part of the appeal of having a kegerator in the house for my GF is having cider on hand. It costs about $130 for a 46 litre batch…the closest commercially available equivalent that tastes good would cost $300-$400 for that amount and since I’m on a super tight budget…..
The question I’m slowly getting to: I like to think I’ve become a bit familiar with the regular posters on here and have a fair idea of their palates, preferences and comfort levels as regards hardware. process, and sanitary requirements. A number of you are my home brewing role models and the closest I can get to mentors in the field.
I have complete confidence in my cleaning/sanitizing/purging process. I preparation for the arrival of a sanke of cider, I usually clean/sanitize/purge the required kegs, but hey; It’s really painful, so I don’t know if that’s biasing me to the point of seeking enablers. I always start with the small 2.5G keg.. When I vented and opened it, I smelled only cider and the inside was spotless and free of sediment. Should I bother to clean/sanitize/purge the remaining pair of 5G kegs that were part of the same batch and have remained sealed? The large ones hurt the most, but I’ve always done it anyway and then taken a day or three to recover afterwards because I’m the type of worker who always finishes what I’ve started no matter the cost.
Maybe I’m just being stupid and irrational as often happens when the pressure on my also damaged brain builds up.
I guess I’m asking; Would you just refill them without the whole interim process?

Disclaimer: It's taking a risk.
Actual thought: In your situation, I'd sanitize just my transfer gear (hoses, siphon, whatever you use) and go for it. I've transferred beer into a used keg, just having rinsed out the old sediment, more than once; rarely, but I've done it with no infections.

Thanks! I've heaps of respect for the both you and since you're filling the role of "knowledgable enablers", any blame for an infection is entirely on myself. Sediment is one thing I don't have to worry about with this cider.. My LHBS uses very costly high-end commercial gear for their sanke filling, and that includes one of those many-layered filters so at least with the cider, there never is any sediment left behind in the keg.
I'm just reclining now to 'decompress' after having my GF carry the filled kegs to their places. Thanks!
:bigmug:

Latest posts

Back