The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yikes. Probably stalled, I would GENTLY stir it, to rouse the yeast and let it be for a few days. Get right down to the yeast cake on the bottom if possible. What temp is it fermenting at? Aren't you the guy who keeps his house at 90f in the winter?;)

Haha, yes, I am the guy who let's his wife stay warm and happy.

It's sitting at 72 degrees right now. I "won" a drop in 1 degree temp argument in favor of the yeast.

So... stir it, don't add another yeast packet?

IrishJosh said:
Haha, yes, I am the guy who let's his wife stay warm and happy.

It's sitting at 72 degrees right now. I "won" a drop in 1 degree temp argument in favor of the yeast.

So... stir it, don't add another yeast packet?

Do what West says and wait a day or two. Then check your gravity if no change then pitch some more yeast.

Hey guys, newer brewer here (about 9 months now).
Currently brewing with a 7.5 gallon turkey fryer but I'm looking to go to 10 gallon batches.
Anyone know where I can purchase an old keg to make a keggle in the Nashville area?

None yet. Need to run to Sams and look at the juice prices. I'm really thinking about trying to brew some mead. Just need to get bulk honey from somewhere. Looked on LSN to see if anybody was selling local honey.

Maybe when we make the next Gatlinburg trip here in a few weeks you can pick some up. I've seen places along the road where they sell tons of it.

Hey Billy Bob, what do you think on cleaning that barrel? I've read a bunch of different stuff, and don't know which way is best. I've read if they're left empty, they can get mold in them, I guess that's why a bunch of barrel beers turn sour. I went to a wine barrel site and they recommend a sodium percarbonate soak.

Oxi is sodium percarbonate and sodium carbonate, I guess that would work? I was thinking of just soaking it for a few hours with oxi, then thoroughly rinsing. It will clean and seal the barrel if it has any leaks. I was also told to put a fifth of cheap whiskey in there for a few hours to sanitize it. Do you have any input? Anyone for that matter.

I would guess an oxy soak, rinse, and some cheap whisky would do the trick... but I have not done any research on the issue.

You have probably read this already, but I had saved it awhile back for future reference:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Wood Chips & Adjusting Gravity: Mr. Wizard

"Sterilize the bag, chips and weight with either steam or hot water. I chose to fill my barrels with 195° F water and let the barrels sit for several hours prior to use. Either method will work for sterilization. Some sanitizing solutions will damage the wood and perhaps flavor the beer. Burning sulfur is one method of sanitizing barrels used by winemakers, while using a dilute solution of KMS or Campden tablets is another. I like hot water because there is nothing added to the barrel other than water."

You have probably read this already, but I had saved it awhile back for future reference:

Brew Your Own: The How-To Homebrew Beer Magazine - Techniques - Wood Chips & Adjusting Gravity: Mr. Wizard

"Sterilize the bag, chips and weight with either steam or hot water. I chose to fill my barrels with 195° F water and let the barrels sit for several hours prior to use. Either method will work for sterilization. Some sanitizing solutions will damage the wood and perhaps flavor the beer. Burning sulfur is one method of sanitizing barrels used by winemakers, while using a dilute solution of KMS or Campden tablets is another. I like hot water because there is nothing added to the barrel other than water."

Good stuff, but it doesn't cover cleaning the barrel first. I would hate to turn my IIPA into a sour. I'm scared

wildwest450 said:
Good stuff, but it doesn't cover cleaning the barrel first. I would hate to turn my IIPA into a sour. I'm scared

I'd go with a long soak in starsan then cheap whisky, maybe even torch that MF too. Got an oven big enough? Bake that Sob. Got a pot big enough? Boil it. Anything and everything I could do to, I'd do it. I still got infection even soaking thin wood in whiskey for 3 weeks. But bakin it seemed to KillEmAll.
Or maybe instead of whiskey you might could get some heads from one of these distilleries. Idk if that's a good idea. But I know I could get you some.

I just filled it with a small scoop of oxi, it was leaking pretty good, got a little nervous. 20 minutes later and one end was sealed and the other was leaking just a little bit, I think it will be good to go.

I read somewhere that star san was a no no in a barrel, can't remember where though. Just planning on letting it soak for a few hours, then thoroughly rinsing and let it sit tonight.

Planning on dumping a bottle of Canadian Mist in there in the morning, swishing around, and let sit for an hour or so. Then drain and rack, and hope for the best.

Just rinsed, lots of little charred bits came out, don't know if that's good or bad? It looked nice on the inside, no noticeable signs of mold or other nasties, unless they're black like the inside of the barrel.:cross:

Maybe when we make the next Gatlinburg trip here in a few weeks you can pick some up. I've seen places along the road where they sell tons of it.

Last time I was in GB there was a honey shop (I think it was called The Honey Pot) in the little mall at the jct. of 441 and 321. Same side as Hard Rock, just down a bit towards Pigeon Forge. It was on the 2nd floor overlooking the Pkwy.

They had about 50 different types including local clover honey and orange blossom honey.

The Tennessee brewing contingent grows strong, we shall take over the world soon......

Now to find some sharks with frickin' laser beams!

dinosaur_riding_shark_shooting_gun.jpg

I think the Shakrbearotcopus thing would just leave the water, wait for the raptor, kill it, then go back to the water and take out the regular shark.

Tactics. :D

I think the Shakrbearotcopus thing would just leave the water, wait for the raptor, kill it, then go back to the water and take out the regular shark.

Tactics. :D

It's a Bearsharktopus, what rock have you been hiding under? ;)

And I agree with your strategy. Bears pwn raptors.

I don't think a regular bear would weight 8-10 tons! maybe 1-2 tons. But that is still stretching it a bit.
But a bearsharktopus could very easily be a grizzle with a giant ocotopus and great white and could probably be double or triple the size of a normal one and probably retain it's natrual speed. And bears are REALLY fast. They can take several high powered rounds before death. Upgrade that with shark like teeth, suckers that hold anything and double the mass. He has Raptor shark duo beat any day.

Unless the raptor has lightsaber arms. Then we're all doomed.

Haven't you guys watched enough syfy movies to know that these animal mutation war machines never work out.

I say we parachute in ten thousand Labrador puppies. While everyone is going,"Oooh, how cute!" BOOM! The country side has been chewed to bits.

Back