The Misfits Of Brewing Science

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Marc, get your tail on over here then. You can crash at my place.

And WW... Nostradrunk*ss says to all noobs... go crazy! :p

Ps... highly likely brewing with scooty this weekend if you or anyone else wants to join.

Thanks, that's about the price i was expecting to pay for an unmodified keg. I'll just be patient and keep watching CL.

Sanke's are so hard to find. You have to be patient and keep looking. i found 1 from a friend (free, as long as I give him some beer) and I bought the other 2 for $40 a piece unmodified. The other day I bought one off a guy in Clarksville for $40 and I was able to pick up 2 1/2 kegs (the 7.5gallons stubby bastards) for $5 each. He just wanted em gone. IDK what I'll use the stubby one for but I couldnt pass up the deal.

But its hard to find em. I stumble on them and usually buy them even if I know I dont need them bc its so hard to find them when you do. Never pay more then $50 for one unmodified.

paparker21 where u work in Dickson? I have lived in Dickson my whole life. We need to meet up sometime and drink a beer or brew something

Hey guys! The elusive one is back! LOL! I have been not brewing much at all lately. I did brew a pale ale a couple weeks ago that turned out fantastic. How is everyone doing? Whats happening on the brewing front? I see there is another grain buy in the works...do you guys just have a constant grain buy???? Do you guys sleep? I still have grain from the 1st buy! LOL!

Welcome back! I still have grain from the first buy as well, I guess we're just better planners.

Paul... sorry I didn't get a chance to run one of those lagers by your wife's place. Is she working any this weekend?

J-Malone said:
Sanke's are so hard to find. You have to be patient and keep looking. i found 1 from a friend (free, as long as I give him some beer) and I bought the other 2 for $40 a piece unmodified. The other day I bought one off a guy in Clarksville for $40 and I was able to pick up 2 1/2 kegs (the 7.5gallons stubby bastards) for $5 each. He just wanted em gone. IDK what I'll use the stubby one for but I couldnt pass up the deal.

But its hard to find em. I stumble on them and usually buy them even if I know I dont need them bc its so hard to find them when you do. Never pay more then $50 for one unmodified.

I tried to get those. The guy texted me back sold. I guess I need to be quicker.

No rush. I would like to see the recipe. I would HIGHLY recommend a water report, it is invaluable for certain beer styles. Water chemistry is such a boring subject, but crucial to ag brewing, imo. I'm fairly sure that your water is suitable for most styles, on the soft side with low mineral content, but it's nice to be sure.

I have a Baltic Porter that is almost ready to go (still lagering), I think technically it's my best beer to date. We need to do a brew day/tasting day shortly. I'm sure Dave has something good to offer as well.

I've been wanting to get a lager started, and actually just got the results from the water report in today. So it will be happening soon. And yeah, I've got a few things on tap that we can pass around. A brew day/tasting day needs to happen in the very near future.

I've been wanting to get a lager started, and actually just got the results from the water report in today. A brew day/tasting day needs to happen in the very near future.

Dave, you have a water report for Cookeville? I don't mind to chip in on what it cost you if you will share it with me, I've been wanting to have one done.

I'm also down for a brew/tasting day anytime, like I said before, we will be brewing this weekend (most likely on Sunday) if Paul wants to come up and you come over. And if any of the Nashville or Knoxville crew wants to come, the more the merrier.

So much beer. Not to much just so much. By the way my red ale turned out before carbonation. So can't wait for my cider to be ready.

Paul... sorry I didn't get a chance to run one of those lagers by your wife's place. Is she working any this weekend?

Don't even sweat it, she works on Sunday, but I don't expect you to be the beer delivery guy.

I've been wanting to get a lager started, and actually just got the results from the water report in today. So it will be happening soon. And yeah, I've got a few things on tap that we can pass around. A brew day/tasting day needs to happen in the very near future.

Cool, post it up if you don't mind, i'd like to check it out. That sounded creepy and nerdy...

I'm also down for a brew/tasting day anytime, like I said before, we will be brewing this weekend (most likely on Sunday) if Paul wants to come up and you come over. And if any of the Nashville or Knoxville crew wants to come, the more the merrier.

Dang you and Sunday brew days, Sunday's are near impossible with me having to work. Saturdays ftw!!!!!!!

I must have missed something, is there a plan for brewday / tasting still? I'd love to get to meet some of you guys if so! pm me details!

paparker21 said:
I must have missed something, is there a plan for brewday / tasting still? I'd love to get to meet some of you guys if so! pm me details!

There is nothing officially scheduled yet... but id love to have everyone over since we are right inbetween nashville and knoxville if anyone wants to come. We can do it on a Saturday since thats a better day for Paul.

If anybody can get ahold of some Sweetwater dank tank sticky Nug or other dank tank let me know.
And Hopslam + sweet smoked ribs = AWSOME.

The difference between Paul and John is that John only bought 2 full sacks on the first buy.

Time out...I bought 2 full sacks of base grain and 1.5 sacks of specialty grains....but I have been slacking and not brewing as much as I should....but that will change!

Its good to be back...

I tried to get those. The guy texted me back sold. I guess I need to be quicker.

You def have to be quick. there are a ton of ppl on craigslist looking for them and you have to swoop in and get them before someone else does. I have found looking in surrounding counties to be the best bet in finding them. Good luck and if I see any and pick them up I'll get in touch w u...

For sure! I work @ Nemak.

Thats great. I know a few guys that work up there. Brady Coshatt and Wayne Larkins (i think they work there...now that I think about it I am not sure....lol)

How are things up there after the fire the other day?

U brewing much? U live in Dickson? I am cool with the brewing/tasting days and all but living in Dickson it makes driving to some of these places a PITA....just saying...lol

Does anyone here go to Memphis in May? I'm supposed to go with my bro-in-law for the bbq competition on the 17th-19th. All the downtown rooms are booked, can anyone recommend a place close to the downtown area where we won't be raped or shot?

Thats great. I know a few guys that work up there. Brady Coshatt and Wayne Larkins (i think they work there...now that I think about it I am not sure....lol)

How are things up there after the fire the other day?

U brewing much? U live in Dickson? I am cool with the brewing/tasting days and all but living in Dickson it makes driving to some of these places a PITA....just saying...lol

Haha yea, i know them both. Fire wasn't as big a deal as the news made it out to be honestly. I don't brew a ton since i live alone and lack friends -- 5 gallons on one head takes awhile. I actually commute from Bellevue.

wildwest450 said:
Does anyone here go to Memphis in May? I'm supposed to go with my bro-in-law for the bbq competition on the 17th-19th. All the downtown rooms are booked, can anyone recommend a place close to the downtown area where we won't be raped or shot?

Unless you are a contestant, the bbq competition sucks. To be in a safe neighborhood you will need to drive 30 minutes to Germantown or Bartlet to stay.

wildwest450 said:

What kind of BBQ are y'all competing? I do some ribs that'll make you "Slap Yo Daddy"! Maybe you should bring some of this talent to lunch on Sat.

We going to see any sort of details on this potential get together? If it's actually gunna happen i definitely want to try and get out to meet some people but i need to make sure work doesn't need me and that the girlfriend is occupied.

We going to see any sort of details on this potential get together? If it's actually gunna happen i definitely want to try and get out to meet some people but i need to make sure work doesn't need me and that the girlfriend is occupied.

Not sure if you are in the loop for our grain buy, but several of us are planning to pick it up this coming Saturday near Nashville. Should be a good time, I think our host will be brewing (if you are interested in taking some wort home, I think he is doing enough for a couple people provided you purchase the ingredients) and the rest of us will probably be bringing beer to sample. See the link below for information. I think you'll need to message bertsbeer for his address.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f174/t...ound-1-2012-a-293988/index15.html#post3757097

Unless you are a contestant, the bbq competition sucks. To be in a safe neighborhood you will need to drive 30 minutes to Germantown or Bartlet to stay.

That's what I was afraid of, I may have to just skip it.

What kind of BBQ are y'all competing? I do some ribs that'll make you "Slap Yo Daddy"! Maybe you should bring some of this talent to lunch on Sat.

My bro-in-law is a "pro" bbqer, that's how he makes his living, he is coming down just to scope it out, he may compete next year. He just came out with his own line of sauces, and is a certified judge. I have no such cooking skill, was just going to hang out with him and my other BIL.

Haha yea, i know them both. Fire wasn't as big a deal as the news made it out to be honestly. I don't brew a ton since i live alone and lack friends -- 5 gallons on one head takes awhile. I actually commute from Bellevue.

thats cool. I know the feeling, my wife doesnt drink much of my beer (she likes her Bud...lol go figure) and I am not a huge drinker so I dont brew as often as I like. My friends love it bc that means they get free beer...lol We need to hook up and brew sometime!

I actually live just off exit 182.

Dave, you have a water report for Cookeville? I don't mind to chip in on what it cost you if you will share it with me, I've been wanting to have one done.

Cool, post it up if you don't mind, i'd like to check it out. That sounded creepy and nerdy...

Yeah we can make that happen. Here's the report from Ward Labs:

pH 7.8
Total Dissolved Solids (TSD) Est 160
Electrical Conductivity (EC) mmho/cm 0.27
Cations me/L 2.5
Anions me/L 2.1

in ppm:
Sodium 23
Calcium 21
Magnesium 4
Potassium 2
Total Hardness 69
Nitrate 0.6 (SAFE)
Sulfur 3
CO3 < 1
HCO3 59
Chloride 33
Total Alkalinity 49

Billy, I'll email you a copy of it as well.

Howdy group. Maffewl sent me over here. I'll be in Manchester TN for a couple months for a new job startup and was looking for recommendations. It seems likebill be driving a fair bit if I want to do anything. Any locals to that area around here?

Howdy group. Maffewl sent me over here. I'll be in Manchester TN for a couple months for a new job startup and was looking for recommendations. It seems likebill be driving a fair bit if I want to do anything. Any locals to that area around here?

Some of us are getting together on Saturday to split 2 pallets of grain up. You are more than welcome to come join in the sampling/drinking part of the day. Jim is hosting the split and he is brewing as well. You can e-mail him for his address if you are interested in attending. He is going to be brewing as well.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything while you are here.

Jim Holloway <[email protected]>

Bobby

Manchester huh? Any chance you will be there in the beginning of June? If so, watch out for dirty hippies, that place is overrun by the Bonnaroo crowd that week.

And the whole state has just jumped the shark. Howdy, stranger.

Some of us are getting together on Saturday to split 2 pallets of grain up. You are more than welcome to come join in the sampling/drinking part of the day. Jim is hosting the split and he is brewing as well. You can e-mail him for his address if you are interested in attending. He is going to be brewing as well.

Feel free to PM me if you need anything while you are here.

Jim Holloway <[email protected]>

Bobby

If you do email him, maybe you'll have better luck than me- i emailed tuesday the 31 and still haven't heard anything. ::shrug::

Back