The Batch kicked a 2nd time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made up one of my everyday ales and did not get to bottleing it right away (3 weeks went by). Then it seemed to kick a second time. The sediment lifted and remixed and it frothed pretty hard. I have not had this happen before. What happened???? Should I wait for it to settle down and then bottle?

Sounds like it's still fermenting but Hydrometer reading will tell the story. It may be that you just kicked up some CO2. I would take a reading to find out if you're done but let it settle back before bottling. No reason to put a bunch of sediment in your bottles if you can help it.

Yeah, let it settle more if it got disturbed. I usually let my beer sit in the primary for 2 weeks, then rack to secondary and let sit at least another 2 weeks before packaging. When it does come time to package, the beer is plenty clear.

without hydrometer readings you are just guessing that the beer is done.

it'll work sometimes...other times you'll guess wrong.

Did the brew get stored in a location that got colder then warmed up? Sounds like your yeast hadn't finished the job and then get inspired to get back at it.

Back