help with kick carrageenan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
i used a clarifying agent for the first time in years. a kick tablet. it said to add it at 5 mins left in the boil. i added it at 8 mins . i also crushed it first cause i read somewhere someone found a half dissolved one at the bottom of the kettle. the trub at the bottom of the boil kettle was definately more caogulated then usual not creamy more curdy. i may have transfered a little trub into the fermemnter. the wort looked pretty clear. about 2 hours later in the fermenter the beer had a definate stratified layer with very clear wort on top thirrd and bottom 2/3 was very hazy almost opaque wort. after a day of lava lamp action from the yeast my fermenter looked like a banana milkshake. i was panicky but i rdwhahb. realizing i violated my own rule of looking at the fermenter before its done. today i came back for sample hydrometer reading and the wort is layered again with a very thin layer of crystal clear beer on top and milkshake underneath. the cloudy sample is fermenting well and tastes delicious but i am still a little worried.

2 questions

1 should i have waited extra long for the wort to settle before transferring and may be the clarifier brought too much suspended gunk into the fermenter
2 will the beer settle out and this is just what usually happens with kick?

thanks

recipe 6.5 gallons
9 lbs of briess pilsen malt
1 lb of flaked corn
.5 lbs carapils.
.5 lb of dextrose
2 oz of rice hulls
1 oz nz pacifica at 60
1 oz nz pacifica at 10
1 oz huell melon whirpool

60 min mash at 156
20 min mashout at 170

You're fine, you used what many know as Whirlfloc tablets, and I use them from 5 to 15 minutes left in the boil without any issues (definitely never saw a partially dissolved tablet). And leave the fermentor alone, it's doing fine, too. As the churning stops the beer will clear from the top down...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back