Terrible tasting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SledgeH

Reaction score
I made a Belgian Ale from an extract kit just over a year ago. My wife absolutely loves this stuff and this just so happened to be the fourth time I’ve made this particular kit. So on the 3rd of October 2012 I whipped it up, threw it in a carboy and plunked it into the basement. With the impending holidays, a 1 year-old, and life in general I completely neglected the beer until I had some free time. So on the 26th of December 2012, 84 days later I cracked the carboy open and bottled it. I had a sample and it tasted pretty terrible. It tasted the same way that a Band-Aid smells. After it sat for a couple of months we cracked open a bottle and found it to be completely undrinkable. The after taste was so repulsive that we couldn’t convince ourselves to take another swig. Thankfully, my wife put her foot down to me dumping it all down the drain. As it was her favorite beer and given the large brew space I’d commandeered in the basement, we decided to tuck it into a corner and try it after a long while. Fast forward to November 2013 when we found ourselves with no beer in the house. We each cracked open a bottle and found it to be just perfect. No after taste, nicely carbonated, loads of great flavor. Despite being in Primary for 84 days, despite tasting terrible at bottling, despite sitting in a bottle for a year, it tasted like great beer. While it may sound like a broken record on so many of the posts here; patience and time can heal many of beer’s ills.

I have a couple batches like that myself! I didn't change my auto-siphon, or tubing, or bottling wand for 2 years. The last 2 batches i did with it had an awful taste to it. It was harsh and was just undrinkable. I let it sit for about 4 months and I check it every so often come to find it's totally drinkable now. It should only get better from here out. Good things come to those who wait! Never dump a batch!! Glad yours worked out!

Bottled a brown ale 8 months ago. It was murky, dark brown, disgusting. It didn't ferment properly (a bit too warm I think).

Popped one open last week, coincidentally with Celebration Ale in my fridge. Drinking a Celebration, got curious, popped one of my bottles open that had been in the fridge for 2 months (not sure why I put a bottle in there, just got curious and then never drank it).

Tasted pretty close. But, the purpose of the story : the beer was better than drinkable, it was great. Didn't come out how I had planned, but all of the time sitting, and then sitting at 42 degrees or so in my fridge, did wonders for it.

Wow! Half way through your anecdote I would have said and did say to myself, "Brett infection, just dump it." Now I am wondering what would have come of my bretty apfelwein from November 2012...

Back