Over carbonation - Carbonic Acid/Salty Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerdic

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently bottled about 26 Oktoberfest beers. I am still new to carbonation techniques, and usually use some form of tablets to carbonate per bottle.

When bottling, I was a bit short on tablets, and used 1/2 tsp table sugar per bottle for about 6 of those bottles.

I have opened a few of each type now, and the table sugar is much more carbonated compared to the tablets. And other than that, I haven’t tasted a difference.

However, I brought a sugar primed one over to a friends, poured it into two glasses to split it, and it had a strong salty taste.

I recently read something about overcarbonation could have excess carbonic acid that could give off a salty taste. I can’t find anything definite about this, but was wondering if that is a thing that could happen?

Just trying to track down where that salty taste could be coming from. 3 different people tried it, and we all agreed to the salt taste.

Cheers!

Maybe someone else in your household is playing a joke on you by putting salt in your sugar.
Haha, that’s what I said at first. It’s just strange that only that one bottle was effected (so far). I’ve just been scratching my head as to what happened, so I can make sure it doesn’t happen again.

@xuledywo, your tale of quality going down, then up, then quickly down again is quirky. Makes me wonder whether your evaluation would be confirmed by a second person, as I notice of myself that the same beverage can taste different to me at different times. It sounds like you're well informed, and using good procedures. I'm sorry I have no suggestions for improvement. I've felt discouraged at times when a brew doesn't meet my hopes/expectations, but persistence has generally paid off -- stick with it!

What's your water profile and recipe? I'm finding a similar issue when I've used a specific target water profile. To my taste buds it has a bite. I found a modification, but I don't want to assume my issue/solution will work for you. But if could indulge with the recipe and water profile, I'll see if you have the same thing.

Maybe 23 & Me will show we're genetic relatives and have the same taste buds!

wash your glass under the hot tap, cool it under the cold tap, shake to remove excess water, do not use a tea towel or similar. This will tell you if the problem is with your beer, or the bottles you bottle it in. After cleaning your bottles normally, rinse them under the hot tap. This will tell you if the problem was "dirty" bottles.

Back