Would like it more hoppier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonybrews

Reaction score
Hey Guys
It's been nany years since I last brewed beer , and boy things have changed.
Last week bottled my first, a Tynside brown , but I wanted it to be hoppy so using 750ml bottles I used 100g of hops soaked in cold water for 30 minutes then as bottling placed 50ml of the sieves liquid into each
After 1 week settling in bottles I tasted a bottle, tastes real good but not hoppy enough I used pellet hopdps any suggestions
Cheers

Drink that brew, enjoy it, and use more or stronger bittering hops next time. Did you brew a regular recipe then use a cold-brewed hop tea to add more hop flavor? Doesn't work well for that. Cold will get more Beta acids. You need to boil the hops to get the Alpha acids for bittering.

Drink that brew, enjoy it, and use more or stronger bittering hops next time. Did you brew a regular recipe then use a cold-brewed hop tea to add more hop flavor? Doesn't work well for that. Cold will get more Beta acids. You need to boil the hops to get the Alpha acids for bittering.
Is boiling OK for hop pellets

Hops add bitterness, flavor and aroma. Which of those 3 is more dominant depends on the temperature they're being boiled or steeped.

Best way to get more hop flavor and aroma in a beer without adding bitterness is by "dry hopping" for a few days after fermentation has completed, a few days to a week before bottling/kegging.

The longer time hops spend in the boil or at high temps the more bitter the wort/beer will become due to isomerization of the hop oils.
Hops added later in the boil, won't increase the bitterness as much, leaving more flavor and aroma in the wort/beer.

You can even add hops after the boil to let them steep for 10-30 minutes (hop stand, whirlpool) in the still hot to warm wort (180-140F / 82-60C). The lower the temp the less bittering takes place, the more flavor/aroma is left.

I'm more after a flavour and aroma than bitter like a hoppy craft beer , I got close with my brew will try boiling the pallets, straining the liquid and adding to the wort before fermentation meat time

For what you want, next time add hops at about 15-20 minutes left in the boil for flavor, then in the last 2 minutes or even at flame out for aroma. As islandlizard says, you can also dry hop by adding hops after fermentation and let them soak for 3-5 days before bottling or kegging. Making a hop tea as you just mentioned is mostly for bitterness.

I'm more after a flavour and aroma than bitter like a hoppy craft beer , I got close with my brew will try boiling the pallets, straining the liquid and adding to the wort before fermentation meat time
I don't think you understand the advice given. To get the proper bitterness to your beer you add the right amount of hops of the proper alpha acid to the boil pot and boil the wort with the hops for a period of time, usually specified as 60 minutes. That boiling drives off the aromatic oils so to get aroma and flavor (closely associated with aroma) you add the second charge of hops late in the boil or after the beer has fermented. The later in the boil you add them, the more flavor you get. Adding hops after the beer has completed fermentation preserves the most volotile of the aromatic oils so you get stronger aroma.

How certain are you that you might not be getting some oxidation of your beer with the process you are using and that is canceling out the aroma and flavor of the hop addition?

How certain are you that you might not be getting some oxidation of your beer with the process you are using and that is canceling out the aroma and flavor of the hop addition?
I don't, but I tried a bottle today , and it's smoooooth as Mmmmmmm

Back