Tasting my near finished fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDachshunds

Reaction score
I have been fermenting my beer for roughly two weeks now, and I've taking my SG reading and am pretty much on my FG. However when I tried tasting the beer, it smelled and tasted pretty sour with no hop aroma even though I added a lot of flame out hops.

Is this normal or do you think my beer got infected? Can I expect these off flavors to go away in the yeast cleanup stage of fermentation?

Thanks

I think it's normal. A lot of people who are new to the hobby think fermentation smells sour. I wouldn't worry to much. It will mellow out. You'll get better hop aroma if you dry hop. You might be tasting hops that haven't had a chance to mellow out yet. Especially since you added a lot of hops at flame out.

You tasted green beer. Sounds pretty normal.

Give it some time and it will turn out delicious. Tell us a little bit about your brew though, maybe a recipe and we can better help.

An infection is highly unlikely.

If beer smelled or tasting fine before the process were done, we'd be drinking it...We're not making kooliad. It's an organic process that takes tim for beers to condition. The sournes you perceive is more than likely co2, and that is covering any hops..all that stuff will come together when the beer's journey is finished...

Back