Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Several years ago before I changed to a different type of fermenter, I was using plastic spigots in my FV's. The first few times I took them apart and cleaned them. Then I realized I could buy them in bulk quantities of a dozen for less than a dollar USD each. After that they became a one use item and tossed in the recycling bin after that.
I am looking for that option. Where i live there are only 2 Homebrew shops in the whole country. When i started i was suprised we even have them at all.

But even 1€ is cheap compared to hops. But then again i dont want to be wasteful

If you get one that can be reasonobly easily disassembled, you'll be fine. I also had troubles with my Speidel one, but once I manged, I knew how to do it and now it is easier.

Its like a curse. I made this super juicy Nectaron/citra/sabro neipa. It was so good!!! And like witchcraft exactly @ 2weeks it starting to quickly have same off flavours.

Lucky enough i have gone through half of the bottles but its still such a waste.

Same thing will probably happen to my westcoast wich were bottled a week ago. I put all the bottles into the fridge im hopes it slowes the process.

I have one philly sour fermenting right now. With new clean spigot and used only PBW. Will see how it turnes out.

Probably will brew a smoked baltic porter and kveik ale next. But if this infection or whatever it is keeps occurring despite cleaning spigots etc then i dont know what i will do.

I made this super juicy Nectaron/citra/sabro neipa. It was so good!!! And like witchcraft exactly @ 2weeks it starting to quickly have same off flavours.
2 weeks after you bottled the batch?
That's very sad, yes. :(
Something is still being missed...

Are you saving and repitching yeast from previous batches?
Making yeast starters?

After a good rinse out with tap water, do you clean with hot/warm PBW and a pad or brush?
Take everything apart that can be disassembled?

How do you clean your hoses/tubing?
What kind of tubing do you use?
Which during brewing, which for transfer to fermenter, and which for bottling?

What kind of wort chiller do you use?

No sanitizer?
Wanted to say i used pbw instead of vwp. Used also a starsan.

I have to note that those batches were unfortunately done with the old "nasty" spigot. So no matter how good i was at bottling it wont help if the infection were already present due to the spigot.
So We need to wait and see how next 2 batches turn out using everything from the beginning. Cleaning, new cleaned spigots etc.
Are you saving and repitching
I do No repitching. no starters. Dry east only.

I use BIAB and chill with copper IC. Pour the wort into the bucket. Ferment. Siphon to the bottling bucket, then siphon to the bottles. Lids are kept on the buckets when siphoning. Small opening is covered with starsan soaked paper towel.
Yes. After brewin/bottling i usually rinse with clean water. Then use pbw to clean everything that touched the beer. Dirtier stuff(boil kettle, FV, mesh bag) i wash multiple times with new pbw solution. For autosiphon I siphon around gallon of hot pbw solution throu it and then take it apart so the solution gets everywhere then rinse. (Before bottling same gets done but with starsan)

Only question now is the spigot thing wich will be sorted out with next brews. hopefully it solves the issue.

I had a bad batch last autumn from a not-so-clean plastic spigot. Taking a sample of the still-fermenting beer from the spigot leaves some sticky sweet residue behind inside the spigot, and if it's exposed to air, unwanted things are going to grow! I always sprayed some starsan up into the spigot, but at least once, it was not enough.

What I do now, is take a ONE TIME sample by dipping a (clean!) cup into the wort an hour or two after yeast are added -- five ounces is plenty. Then I pour that into the hydrometer test tube and secure a plastic bag over the top of it. Once the krausen on the hydro test tube subsides, you can wipe most of the sludge off with a paper towel, drop the hydrometer in, and watch for it to finish.

Also, I disassemble the spigots every time now, and soak them in oxiclean.

I have to note that those batches were unfortunately done with the old "nasty" spigot.
o_O How could you...? ;)

Everything else in your procedure looks fine, yes.

How about all the tubing (hoses)?
How do you clean your hoses/tubing?
What kind of tubing do you use?
Which during brewing, which for transfer to fermenter, and which for bottling?

I had a bad batch last autumn from a not-so-clean plastic spigot. Taking a sample of the still-fermenting beer from the spigot leaves some sticky sweet residue behind inside the spigot, and if it's exposed to air, unwanted things are going to grow! I always sprayed some starsan up into the spigot, but at least once, it was not enough.

What I do now, is take a ONE TIME sample by dipping a (clean!) cup into the wort an hour or two after yeast are added -- five ounces is plenty. Then I pour that into the hydrometer test tube and secure a plastic bag over the top of it. Once the krausen on the hydro test tube subsides, you can wipe most of the sludge off with a paper towel, drop the hydrometer in, and watch for it to finish.

Also, I disassemble the spigots every time now, and soak them in oxiclean.
Thats unique and interesting. Does the small sample ferment accurately with similar rate?

How could you...?
These were already fermenting before you helped me to discovered spigot problem.
How about all the tubing (hoses)
Only tubing i have is autosiphon tube that gets cleaned like described.
For autosiphon I siphon around gallon of hot pbw solution throu it and then take it apart so the solution gets everywhere then rinse. (Before bottling same gets done but with starsan)
I think the above should be enough since it gets done immidiently after bottling. For FV i rinse and clean(brush) and soak with PBW. Dump the solution then rinse and do it again with new clean pbw solution.

For future purposes:
Yesterday i soaked all my empty and already clean bottles in hot pbw solution for about 30min. Then rinsed multiple times. Next time before bottling I will probably soak them overnight in starsan. Rn they are in closed box for storage.
I plan to use same time consuming technique (long soaking in pbw, rinsing, long soaking in starsan) on everything that touches or gets close to cooled wort/beer.(like spigots, siphon, buckets etc)
Its definetly overkill but i will do this excessive cleaning once for everything. So i can for sure start from clean slate.

Afterwards use my already good cleaning practices + new spigot opening.

I am planning on doing smoked baltic porter and simple kveik ipa. Kveik so i can quickly get to the point "2 weeks in bottles"

These were already fermenting before you helped me to discovered spigot problem.
Ah, I see.
Only tubing i have is autosiphon tube that gets cleaned like described.
Inspect and separately clean and sanitize that hose that's connected to the siphon tube.
Then let the inside dry in between uses. I therefore drape my hoses over a corner pole on a storage rack, so they can drip out from both ends, and air dry over a few days.

Or store (flexible) hoses in the bottom of a bucket containing 5-8 cm (2-3") height of Starsan working solution. Nothing can grow in there, but the vinyl tubing will get a milky/cloudy appearance, which doesn't harm performance. Rinse/brush, then resanitize immediately before using again.

For example:
I have a 2.5' (~75 cm) piece of thin (~5/32" (ID) hose in the bottom of my Starsan bucket. It's being used to take suck siphon samples from bucket fermenters, through the airlock hole. It's minimally invasive, and none of my brew buckets have spigots to keep clean or get stepped on.

A long draw brush can be helpful to clean the inside of hoses. Or make one yourself with a wad made of fabric and a piece of wire or nylon string on each end, so you can pull the fabric wad back and forth inside the tubing/hose.

Right before use, or re-connecting to other (cleaned and sanitized) equipment, always re-sanitize the various pieces again.

Although it's good to pump cleaner, rinse water, then sanitizer through the siphon, it's also crucial to take the individual pieces apart to clean/rinse/sanitize, and... let thoroughly air dry between uses. It's those tight damp spaces where bugs can hide and multiply.

Same thing will probably happen to my westcoast wich were bottled a week ago. I put all the bottles into the fridge im hopes it slowes the process.
Its almost two weeks and westcoast ipa seems to taste pretty normal. They were reasonabely carbed at 10 days so i decided to put them all in fridge. So maybe this is slowing down the off flavour production.
I did leave one bottle at room temp. Wich i will open in one month.

The other brews/beers that already had the off flavours are now a bit overcarbed. Not much but they will come slowly out of the bottle if i open them and dont pour them in 30s or so. This is also a sign of infection if im not mistaken.
So the spigot was probably the hidden problem i had. We will see. I am bottling one batch this weekend. Beer i brewed with knowledge attained here.

FYI I'm not planning on empting all the previous "bad" beer bottles i have. At least not all of them. (Too much work) I tasted one and its mellowed down a bit and taste interesting. They are in my "beer fridge". Lets see how they taste after longer lagering. Just have to call it "wild ale" and we're good.

The other brews/beers that already had the off flavours are now a bit overcarbed. Not much but they will come slowly out of the bottle if i open them and dont pour them in 30s or so. This is also a sign of infection if im not mistaken.
That often happens due to a (slow) lingering infection in the beer.

Just open one every week or so, and compare with previous ones you've opened.
If pressure (the pssst sound) or foaming is increasing, be careful!

Here's why you need to be very careful:
When pressure gets higher than the bottle can handle, they can become grenades, blowing up in your hands when touched, handled, or opened. Or they may spontaneously explode on your shelf, making a big mess and potentially destroying whatever is nearby, embedding shards in everything.

So keep tabs on them and make sure no-one, including yourself, can get hurt or maimed by flying glass shards.
It's usually best to package them inside a sturdy box or wooden crate, or a steel bin, with a tied down lid on it.

Hello again. Im am totally lost now. im playing russian roulette with my brews.

One Neipa that has been in bottles little over 2 weeks now is starting to get same off flavours. Even tho it was done with extra cleaning measures.😭 Only difference is it seems to be noticeable with slower rate...

That is so damn sad since those brews turned out Super amazing pale and juicy.😢 It is mind blowing beacause there is no sign of any off flavours or anything weird for the first week or so.

I have another Neipa and one more Orange peel kveik IPA that have been almost 2w in bottles and i am afraid they will also meet the same destiny 😣

There are some brews that havent developed off flavours. Interestingly one even before i learned to properly clean the spigots.
Now 6 weeks in bottles and westcoast still tasted good last time i tasted it. It was maybe 1.5w ago. Seems that even tho it used old spiggot it somehow didn't get infection. I will taste again this weekend.
I have one philly sour fermenting right now. With new clean spigot and used only PBW. Will see how it turnes out.

Probably will brew a smoked baltic porter and kveik ale next. But if this infection or whatever it is keeps occurring despite cleaning spigots etc then i dont know what i will do.
they had same good cleaning and sanitizing practices.
Philly sour has been in bottles for 4 weeks and tastes fine
Smoked porter has been in bottles for 2 weeks and also is fine...for now.

I don't know what will i do with my life.

Im sure it can't be oxidation because there is zero changes in color. I use all the good practices to avoid oxidation that i got from the long thread about bottling neipas.
Before i learn about it my dryhopped beer used to change in color on and develop kinda old sweet strawberry jam flavour (its exactly how Dr.Hans from youtube describe it and it helped me to understand oxidation better.)

I use magnets to attach hops to the lid. So i never have to open before bottling. Dont cold crahs neipas. and fill bottles all the way up.

Can it be my LHBS has infected hops?

That is so damn sad since those brews turned out Super amazing pale and juicy.😢 It is mind blowing beacause there is no sign of any off flavours or anything weird for the first week or so.
As @Miraculix said, that could be oxidation.

Especially very hoppy beers, such as NEIPAs, are very susceptible to the effects of oxidation. Even more than a few ppb (parts per billion) of O2 can have negative effects.
O2 exposure is almost unavoidable during bottling. Even the air in the bottle's headspace will add a significant amount of O2, which may start oxidizing hops flavor and aroma compounds before the yeast gets to metabolize the O2 while carbonating.

Those of us who keg their beer, especially IPAs and NEIPAs, take utter precautions to avoid oxygen exposure at all stages of the process after the boil, except for a "measured dosage" of O2 when pitching (active) yeast. The more successful we are in avoiding O2 exposure, the longer the beer will remain fresh.

Philly sour has been in bottles for 4 weeks and tastes fine
Have you previously had any of the same flavor issues with Philly Sour fermented beers?

Smoked porter has been in bottles for 2 weeks and also is fine...for now.
Darker beers can hide many imperfections, even flaws. Did you have the same flavor issues with darker beers too? Did it take longer to present themselves?

One thing I've noticed about "smoked beers" that also stands out is that when they oxidize or spoil they become extra putrid (foul tasting). Very special yuck!!!

O2 exposure is almost unavoidable during bottling. Even the air in the bottle's headspace will add a significant amount of O2, which may start oxidizing hops flavor and aroma compounds before the yeast gets to metabolize the O2 while carbonating.

FWIW, those who bottle NEIPAs and enjoy the fresh for a number of months have posted a number of topics here on how to do it.

Last edited:
Thank you. But I belive that i can rule out oxidation. I had oxidation problems on my heavily hopped beers before i knew how sensitive those hoppy beers are. After learning this it finally explained why all of my hoppy beers before had similar taste and never anything tropical... so i learned from others how you can avoid oxidation with neipas even when bottling. And those oxidation flavours havent occured anymore... now i get something totally new and distinct. It feels "wild" or "strange". It slightly overcarbs the beers that have this off flavour. And its so easy to detect. No matter the beer you feel it is there and its annoyng flavour. Over the course of week or so it gets stronger and stronger until it overpowers all other flavours in beer.

Should i bleach all my stuff? How is bleach used?

now i get something totally new and distinct. It feels "wild" or "strange". It slightly overcarbs the beers that have this off flavour. And its so easy to detect. No matter the beer you feel it is there and its annoyng flavour. Over the course of week or so it gets stronger and stronger until it overpowers all other flavours in beer.
The over-carbonation and annoying flavors becoming increasingly stronger point to an infection due to bacteria or wild yeasts, from either new or lingering ones. Many/most will add sourness and unwanted flavors, very rarely anything positive.

Again, I have an inkling there could be something lurking inside your hoses. They can be among the most difficult to clean. They make long brushes, especially for that. Or put a short brush on a string or an electrician's fishing wire.

The big problem is, once beer gets infected it will infect everything it touches.

Bleach, yup!

The over-carbonation and annoying flavors becoming increasingly stronger point to an infection due to bacteria or wild yeasts, from either new or lingering ones. Many/most will add sourness and unwanted flavors, very rarely anything positive.

Again, I have an inkling there could be something lurking inside your hoses. They can be among the most difficult to clean. They make long brushes, especially for that. Or put a short brush on a string or an electrician's fishing wire.

The big problem is, once beer gets infected it will infect everything it touches.

Bleach, yup!
Yes. This has to be the case. Infection. There is no other explenation.

Its either a bucket or siphon(especially the damn hose).
Glass bottles should be sanitary after hot pbw cleaning with brush, rinsing and soaking in starsan.
Buckets are easy to clean but bacteria may have some hiding places in plastic. But i belive it would have had noticeable off flavours before bottling if that was the case.. but 2 weeks after bottling.. it must be the damn siphon wich is the hardest one to clean.
Its probably strong bacteria that can stay alive with standard cleaners.

No one else to blame but me.

How one uses the bleach to clean equipment?

Last edited:
Yes. This has to be the case. Infection. There is no other explenation.

Its either a bucket or siphon(especially the damn hose).
Glass bottles should be sanitary after hot pbw cleaning with brush, rinsing and soaking in starsan.
Buckets are easy to clean but bacteria may have some hiding places in plastic. But i belive it would have had noticeable off flavours before bottling if that was the case.. but 2 weeks after bottling.. it must be the damn siphon wich is the hardest one to clean.
Its probably strong bacteria that can stay alive with standard cleaners.

No one else to blame but me.

Dissolve enough bleach in water, throw in a bit of vinegar, stir, in the equipment goes!

At this point, I think you need to go with a high concentration. Dilute 1:10 in water. Soak for ten minutes. Rinse thoroughly. The working dilution has to be made fresh daily.

But it will come back unless you treat or discard get everything that might be contaminated, including previous batches of beer.

At this point, I think you need to go with a high concentration. Dilute 1:10 in water. Soak for ten minutes. Rinse thoroughly. The working dilution has to be made fresh daily.

But it will come back unless you treat or discard get everything that might be contaminated, including previous batches of beer.
Yes..for now i will take break from brewing for few weeks. Drink what i can and what stays fine i can drink slower.
Clean with bleach... start storing separetly from other things that is yet not cleaned.

And start from something basic. No dryhopping no whirpool hops or anything that adds more risk of infections. And when i get clean beautiful product then i can start adding back more variables into the game.

I will report back! And if you have more tips let me know.

(At least im happy i had made some damn good recepies and some of my friends had change to taste them before the off flavoures developed. Juat have to sort this damn resilient "bug" out)

it must be the damn siphon wich is the hardest one to clean.
Can you post a picture of your siphon and tubing? BTW, "tubing" = "hoses."
Ordinary vinyl tubing should be fairly cheap, perhaps replace?

IIRC, someone mentioned to use a piece of cloth on a string and draw that through your siphon instead of using a draw brush. Of course, to prevent scratching, always use a brush/cloth on wet surfaces, such as soaked in a PBW solution.

Buckets and such generally have smooth surfaces, they should clean, rinse and sanitize easily. I use a small washcloth and mop the Starsan onto larger surfaces (such as bucket sides) that can't be soaked or dunked.

Back