All NEIPA recipes taste the same

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My current NEIPA keg just kicked so I need to begin recipe planning. Can anyone recommend a solid NEIPA hop schedule that I can try, that will not taste like the typical citra/galaxy batch (as all my batches taste)? I will be using Verdant IPA yeast.
Here’s my recipe for a 2.5-gallon batch of double IPA; obviously you’d want something less alcoholic and less bitter for the NE version. But the hop character is excellent:

RO water, Ca 140, SO4 75, Cl 200

3.6 lb. Pale Ale Malt (~2.5L)
3.6 lb. Vienna (~4L)
0.8 lb. flaked barley
0.7 lb. flaked oats (I was going to use all barley, but ran out)
0.3 lb. honey malt

OG 1.090/FG 1.010

single-infusion mash @ 148 F, 60 minutes

60-minute boil:
8 g Magnum (15.4% AA) @ 60 min.
12 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) @ 20 min.
10 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) @ 20 min.
10 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) @ 20 min.
12 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) @ 5 min.
10 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) @ 5 min.
10 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) @ 5 min.
12 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
10 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
10 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
24 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) dry hop @ packaging
20 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) dry hop @ packaging
20 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) dry hop @ packaging
(I usually use a serving keg with a screened, floating dip tube. The dry hop charge is put in the keg, the keg is purged, beer is transferred in, and then the keg goes immediately into the cooler where it stays at serving temperature from that point on. I haven't had a problem with vegetal flavors developing, but I drink it quickly.)

Here’s my recipe for a 2.5-gallon batch of double IPA; obviously you’d want something less alcoholic and less bitter for the NE version. But the hop character is excellent:

RO water, Ca 140, SO4 75, Cl 200

3.6 lb. Pale Ale Malt (~2.5L)
3.6 lb. Vienna (~4L)
0.8 lb. flaked barley
0.7 lb. flaked oats (I was going to use all barley, but ran out)
0.3 lb. honey malt

OG 1.090/FG 1.010

single-infusion mash @ 148 F, 60 minutes

60-minute boil:
8 g Magnum (15.4% AA) @ 60 min.
12 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) @ 20 min.
10 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) @ 20 min.
10 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) @ 20 min.
12 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) @ 5 min.
10 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) @ 5 min.
10 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) @ 5 min.
12 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
10 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
10 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) hop stand @ 160 F for 10 min.
24 g Elani/YQH-1320 (8.8% AA) dry hop @ packaging
20 g Nelson Sauvin (12.2% AA) dry hop @ packaging
20 g Cashmere LUPOMAX (13.5% AA) dry hop @ packaging
(I usually use a serving keg with a screened, floating dip tube. The dry hop charge is put in the keg, the keg is purged, beer is transferred in, and then the keg goes immediately into the cooler where it stays at serving temperature from that point on. I haven't had a problem with vegetal flavors developing, but I drink it quickly.)
Sounds good.
I like the idea of 2.5 gallon batches. I think I’ll eventually move to that as I get older and my back gets even more finicky. Kettle and smaller kegs are no big deal to find but I haven’t seen smaller fermenters that have the ability to pressure transfer. Do they exist? What’s your transfer method?

My current NEIPA keg just kicked so I need to begin recipe planning. Can anyone recommend a solid NEIPA hop schedule that I can try, that will not taste like the typical citra/galaxy batch (as all my batches taste)? I will be using Verdant IPA yeast.
The last great one I did was:
  • 15 IBU Motueka at 30 minutes
  • 70g Motueka (4 IBU) / 50g Vic Secret Cryo (7.5 IBU) / 25g BRU-1 Cryo (4 IBU) whirlpool @ 75°C
  • 150g BRU-1 Cryo / 75g Motueka / 60g Vic Secret Cryo dry hop when a few points off FG
That was in a 6.8% beer with a 1.070 OG and 1.018 FG. MO, Golden Naked Oats, Wheat and Flaked Oats, fermented with Koln.

Sounds good.
I like the idea of 2.5 gallon batches. I think I’ll eventually move to that as I get older and my back gets even more finicky. Kettle and smaller kegs are no big deal to find but I haven’t seen smaller fermenters that have the ability to pressure transfer. Do they exist? What’s your transfer method?
I ferment in 3-gallon kegs with a FlotIt. Purge a second keg with fermentation CO2, spund, closed transfer through the posts.

My 1-gallon batches I do in 1.75-gallon kegs.

There are differences in a persons ability to taste based on the number and type of papillae in the tongue. Some people are considered super tasters (Not me) and can tell the subtle difference in hops bitterness. Others cannot discern the subtle differences. I have read articles in my medical literature describing this and studies have been done to count the papillae and confirm this idea. So, I am also one of the people that cannot tell the difference among most NEIPA's. I just like them. My wife is a supertaster and collects wine. When I go with her to wine tastings I laugh at all the flavors being described and I either like the wine or I don't. She can tell the subtle differences.

There are differences in a persons ability to taste based on the number and type of papillae in the tongue. Some people are considered super tasters (Not me) and can tell the subtle difference in hops bitterness. Others cannot discern the subtle differences. I have read articles in my medical literature describing this and studies have been done to count the papillae and confirm this idea. So, I am also one of the people that cannot tell the difference among most NEIPA's. I just like them. My wife is a supertaster and collects wine. When I go with her to wine tastings I laugh at all the flavors being described and I either like the wine or I don't. She can tell the subtle differences.
I always thought the breweries that claim notes of dragon fruit or ripe apricot were blowing smoke but maybe what you said helps justify it, partly at least.

A brewery near me does a really good beer called mosaic punch, they condition it on peaches I believe and add lactose. Peach is the flavor I’m after and maybe the flavor is not going to be derived from the hops and I need to condition on fruit.

Peach is the flavor I’m after and maybe the flavor is not going to be derived from the hops and I need to condition on fruit.

You could try using a "Conan" yeast strain and run it chill - like, around 60°F. I did that once and all by itself it pounded major peach character into the "Vermont Hazy" I was brewing (think Alchemist and all that ;))...

Cheers!

I've never used Nectaron but I use lots of Mosaic and Amarillo every year, and that combination looks favorable to me.
One of these days I'm going to give Nectaron a try...

https://beermaverick.com/hops/hop-comparison-tool/

1712960036209.png

Cheers!

Attachments

• 1712959972905.png
    1712959972905.png
    122.6 KB · Views: 0
fwiw, in 2024 I consolidated my hazy IPA hop schedule to this:

- I typically use Chinook or CTZ for a T60 bittering addition
- 1 ounce of each character hop at T5
- 2 ounces of each character hop for a 20 minute 170°F post-boil whirlpool
- post fermentation two day "soft crash" to 50°F
- 2 ounces of each character hop for a two day dry hop
- hard crash for two days then keg

This has been providing robust and persistent hop character all the way to the end of each keg...

Cheers!

[edit] ^for ten gallon batches^

Last edited:
Just poured my first glass of a triple IPA (or whatever you want to call a very bitter, over-the-top fruity, 12.5% ABV ale). Nectaron/Grove/Sultana. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

fwiw, in 2024 I consolidated my hazy IPA hop schedule to this:

- I typically use Chinook or CTZ for a T60 bittering addition
- 1 ounce of each character hop at T5
- 2 ounces of each character hop for a 20 minute 170°F post-boil whirlpool
- post fermentation two day "soft crash" to 50°F
- 2 ounces of each character hop for a two day dry hop
- hard crash for two days then keg

This has been providing robust and persistent hop character all the way to the end of each keg...

Cheers!

[edit] ^for ten gallon batches^
Just saw your note on 10g batch. I wonder how much, if any, I can dial it back for a 6g batch. A lot of guys will say that is way too little hops for a NEIPA, even for a 5 gallon batch.

Just saw your note on 10g batch. I wonder how much, if any, I can dial it back for a 6g batch. A lot of guys will say that is way too little hops for a NEIPA, even for a 5 gallon batch.
For a 6g batch, assuming that you're doing 3 flavour hops, you're looking at about 7g/L. I'd consider that to be on the lower side even if 100% Cryo. I generally target 10-12g/L but have gone as high as 16g in DIPAs. The best Hazy breweries often hit 20g/L plus...

I've mentioned before but IME the whirlpool is more important than the dry hop in a NEIPA. 3.5g/L at 5m and 7g/L at whirlpool is going to be pretty flavoursome. Probably decent levels of bitterness too which should help with the structure. I seldom do a 30m/60m addition in hazies (in fact I seldom do.a 60m boil full stop) but will often do 10-15m bittering additions.

Last edited:
So that brings another question, is lack of hops the missing piece to my flavor (all tasting the same) issue?

Just poured my first glass of a triple IPA (or whatever you want to call a very bitter, over-the-top fruity, 12.5% ABV ale). Nectaron/Grove/Sultana. It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

Ferris-Buellers-Day-Off-e1671708191605.jpg

So that brings another question, is lack of hops the missing piece to my flavor (all tasting the same) issue?
I think it's probably a contributor.

The last hazy I brewed had the following hopping schedule (this is a single hop hazy as part of a range of SH ones I'm experimenting with, same grist and yeast).

10g BRU-1 LupoMAX at 15m
160g BRU-1 LupoMAX 20m whirlpool at 75°C
100g BRU-1 LupoMAX day 2 high krausen DH
180g BRU-1 LupoMAX at day 7 for 2 days after soft crash to 12°C.

That's very nearly a full pound of hops in a 6.5g batch. And it smelled absolutely incredible at kegging.

fwiw, I've been brewing hazies since 2016 (Heady Topper clone was my first) and started with dry hopping twice as much (two rounds) but found if I switched from using flaked to malted adjuncts (oats and wheat) the haze persistence and hop character intensity both matched up with commercial products and lasted until the kegs kick. Ie: flaked adjuncts will fall out faster and take hop character with it.

I still do one recipe with twice the dry hops as above - an all-Citra bomb where the insane intensity is appreciated - but the rest follow the outline provided...

Cheers!

Thanks @day_trippr. Think I'm going to try this. If anyone has any suggestions please weigh in!

Amarillo, Mosaic, and Nectaron

2 ounce of each for a 30 minute 170°F whirlpool
2 ounces of each for dry-hop (I ferment/serve in the same keg so they will be in the keg for life)

Totals:
6 oz total for WP
6 oz total for DH

Last edited:
Back