Still alive - just tackling a HUGE DIY

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the last heat pipe I had to deal with - other than terminating the piping at the manifolds. This is where I had forgotten that the range vent needed to pass through, so I had to reroute:

VentHole.JPG

Now that all that nonsense is done, and the framing is pretty much done up to the 8 foot mark, I have started finishing the upper framing. This is the wall above the master bedroom door:

FirstUpper.JPG

There will be a ceiling mount projector that shines on the area above the door, serving as the TV for the room. Speakers will be installed in the wall.

Of course, I picked one of the easiest upper walls to start with - I suspect there will be copious swearing tomorrow as I start some of the others...

Got about 75% of the upper framing done on the master bedroom

MBedPanorama.JPG

Tomorrow hopefully will see it done, and a good start on the ceiling in the laundry room and bathroom.

Ok just a couple more - Here is a panoramic of the upper walls in the master bedroom:

UpperPan.JPG

And half of the strapping is now up for the ceiling drywall:

CeilingStrap.JPG

What's a word for jealousy that's way stronger than jealousy? Envy? No. Not strong enough.

That's what I have.

But keep on going, man! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

What's a word for jealousy that's way stronger than jealousy? Envy? No. Not strong enough.

That's what I have.

But keep on going, man! Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

How about:

cov·et·ous

/ˈkəvitəs/
Adjective
Having or showing a great desire to possess something, typically something belonging to someone else.
Synonyms
greedy - avid - grasping - rapacious - avaricious

:D

Finished the master bedroom ceiling strapping, with a little help from the wee beastie:

PupStrap.JPG

Then spent the rest of the day with the fiddly task of getting the projector alcove sorted out just right:

ProjBox1.JPG

ProjBox2.JPG

Projector1.JPG

Projector2.JPG

HOLY SMOKES!
That right there just puts this project over the top man! Nice work! Hey, on slow weekends, you can enjoy a movie in an un-finished house. Oh yeah, you don't have any slow weekends. You are BUILDING this place!

Wow. amazing thread. Any basement brew sessions done in the house just to break it in properly? :p

Haven't brewed in a couple years - first all my gear went in to storage while trying to declutter the house I was trying to sell, and now I have no time while building (and all the gear is still in storage somewhere)

Finished the master closet ceiling today -

First half done:

MClos1.JPG

Second half done:

MClos2.JPG

Also, finally got all the hurricane straps installed on the roof trusses - been avoiding that task for a while!

Very interesting build! What's the purpose of the 1 by furring strips on the ceilings? Why not just attach the ceiling drywall directly to the roof rafters and ceiling joists?

sheetrocking this house is going to be awesomely tedious and time-consuming, but I know the end result is going to be amazing.

The rafters are 24" OC. 1/2" drywall can sag over spans like that, so I added the 16" OC furring.

Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. How are you going to hang up the drywall, screws or nails? I purchased a Senco screwgun and amazed myself at how quickly one can hang a room of drywall. Looking like things are moving along nicely.

:mug:

craigmw said:
Ah, makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. How are you going to hang up the drywall, screws or nails? I purchased a Senco screwgun and amazed myself at how quickly one can hang a room of drywall. Looking like things are moving along nicely.

:mug:

Yup - self feeding Senco. Looking forward to getting started on the drywall, but have another solid week of framing, then electrical and plumbing before the wallboard can go up.

Got the ceiling done in both kids rooms:

BoysCeiling.JPG

And the ceiling done for the kids bathroom:

BBathCeiling.JPG

With a ceiling hatch to access the HRV and whole house filter that will be above:

BBathHatch.JPG

Aaaaaand the master bath ceiling. Lots of funky angles in that drop soffit - thank goodness for online calculators!

MBathCeiling1.JPG

MBathCeiling2.JPG

Next up... The over staircase DOME. What was I thinking?

That bathroom ceiling gives me a headache just looking at it... Very ambitious. Can't wait to see what you do with the dome over the staircase!

Hey Jester here is one more suggestion (I'm sure you get a lot, both here and from family/friends), put a central vacuum in. The electric motor can be mounted in the garage and the exhaust vented outside. So dust blows outside. You can put a toekick port in under cabinets etc. so you can just sweep floor dirt right to the toekick. We have one and I think it is great.

Spectacular job on the house.

Doed said:
Hey Jester here is one more suggestion (I'm sure you get a lot, both here and from family/friends), put a central vacuum in. The electric motor can be mounted in the garage and the exhaust vented outside. So dust blows outside. You can put a toekick port in under cabinets etc. so you can just sweep floor dirt right to the toekick. We have one and I think it is great.

Spectacular job on the house.

Central vac guy is coming on Monday, actually. I'm buying all the gear from him, and installing it myself. The hose actually stores in the walls, and I am considering the toe kick option too!

So after a few hours yesterday making a template, today was a long, tedious exercise in repetitious **** work. I cut 28 large and 8 small ribs out of 3/8 ply:

RackORibs.JPG

Then cut, ripped, and dado'd all the material I need to make these:

AStart.JPG

Weary and dusty. I got 5 done, and figure it's going to take me most of tomorrow to get the rest completed. Why did I decide to do a dome?? Oh yeah, cuz Red thought it would look cool. And she's right, as usual.

Well, she's right, as I suspect she usually is; that's going to be epic when it's completed. I'm just watching a video now about how to dryway a domed ceiling; aigh, that looks like a PITA!

Ugh - after two solid days of labor and almost $600 in materials, I think I'm going to have to scrap plan a. Just not enough structural integrity. Wouldn't do to get it all built and have it come down again, yes? Looks nice, though.

A reciprocal "dome" would look awesome with exposed beams. It is much easier if you first model the design, but they are VERY strong.

I built a dome for a project once...after two days of drafting and eight days of fabrication, it was done.

I don't envy you...

Yeah, that's where I got the structural idea for the dome originally. Unfortunately for a 15' dome they wanted almost $6,000!

:eek: Really?! Wow! I guess if you actually get a specific quote its a little higher. The little estimator calculator is telling me a little over $1,600 for a soft 15' dome.

Well, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm sure it will turn out looking fantastic whatever you decide!

Back