SSBrewTech - SVBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do it every time.

The first time they recommend doing a TSP clean since there may be residual oils from the manufacturing.

I clean with hot pbw at the end of a brew, rinse then dry.
Not sure how my system could get dirty between brews and I reckon the boiling wort is reasonably sanitary. Luckily mine not a dirt and bugs magnet.
Keep going if it works.

"The rubber piece on the malt pipe shouldn't be pushed down all the way."

I can't find it now but I remember reading that the rubber piece should be adjusted according to the level of the liquid.... something like two inches above. The first time I used it I trusted that the trub filter would do its job so I put hops in loose. I wasn't happy with the results so I'm going back to my hop spider again. I agree with the need for a port on the lid for adding a steam slayer. I had already decided that is a mod I would do in the future. The one thing I really miss that my Anvil Foundry had was a delay start feature so I could fill the unit up the night before brewday and have it turn on to reach strike temp in the morning.
Instructions say to push it onto the vertical pipe about 1/2". In fact, there is a lip inside the rubber that defines that point.

Doesn't heat convect from the pump to the knock-out? Even if those components aren't in direct contact with boiling wort, it seems like they would at least heat up to a Pasteurization temperature long enough to destroy most nasties.
The knockout port doesn't even get warm. So, before sending the wort to the fermentor, there needs to be at least a few seconds of boiling wort recirculated back to the boiler before chilling begins.

I ordered one of these. How do you transfer wort to the fermentor?
Turn on the pump. Open the "knockout" valve on the front. Woosh! I brewed 4 batches on mine this weekend.

1686014967134.png

In case anyone was wondering about replacement parts, such as halo element, here is the reply I got today from SSBT. They replied within a day, so that's good. Not crazy about the answer, but hopefully there is a plan to offer parts in the near future.

1686935491050.png

In case anyone was wondering about replacement parts, such as halo element, here is the reply I got today from SSBT. They replied within a day, so that's good. Not crazy about the answer, but hopefully there is a plan to offer parts in the near future.

View attachment 822592
Thank you for this I was wondering about that, and since he mentioned warranty, what is the warranty on the SVBS? I didn’t see it on the website.

I've been following this thread since I started researching AIO's. It's been a bit since anyone has really posted. I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen more of the svbs online. How are your brew days going? It checks a lot of boxes for me, especially when it comes to ease of use. I'll be purchasing something next month and this is high on my short list. Is everyone still happy now that the honeymoon phase is over? Appreciate all responses...

I am a very happy user of the SVBS. I'm dying to brew again, but my pipeline is more than full right now.
Yeah, I guess we can only drink so much beer. That was always a problem I had when I did bigger batches. One reason I'm looking at AIO's is the 5 gallon (and smaller) batch sizes. Did you ever get your efficiency numbers up? I remember you mentioning that they were lower than you expected. I'm not really sure what to expect in that department.

Yeah, I guess we can only drink so much beer. That was always a problem I had when I did bigger batches. One reason I'm looking at AIO's is the 5 gallon (and smaller) batch sizes. Did you ever get your efficiency numbers up? I remember you mentioning that they were lower than you expected. I'm not really sure what to expect in that department.
No, efficiency is still 55-60%. I'll figure that out eventually. Even if I don't, I'm still happy with it.

The lack of info on the internet makes it difficult to pull the trigger on it, I know. There were a quick few videos (not very flattering ones, too), and then nada. I was quite reluctant for that one reason. I'm very happy now with my decision. The negative comments in the video were mostly due to lacking features that I did not want anyway (e.g., I don't want wifi or bluetooth).

I still love mine. I’ve found to get my efficiency consistently in 65-70% range, I’ve had to crush really fine. Makes cleaning the basket kinda a pain but I have figured out a process for that.

I would definitely buy it if I had to do it all over again.

I still love mine. I’ve found to get my efficiency consistently in 65-70% range, I’ve had to crush really fine. Makes cleaning the basket kinda a pain but I have figured out a process for that.

I would definitely buy it if I had to do it all over again.
Don't know if you read through this thread, but my I've used my dishwasher twice and it cleaned the basket perfectly, even when it was used for 3 batches in a row haha.

I agree that the videos were fairly rushed and the negative aspects they picked out weren't really important to me either. One reviewer really seemed put out that the heating element was "overpowered". I have to say, you'll never hear me complain about anything having too much power. Too little maybe, lol. Plus, it seems odd that they only brewed on the unit one time, if at all. I would expect at least a couple of brews on it to determine issues?

As far as cleaning the basket goes, that doesn't bother me. I'd probably just hit it with a hose, then let it dry overnight and brush off the rest.

Coltr88, since you are crushing pretty fine, have you had any issues with a stuck mash? It seems like the design would somewhat prevent that from happening, but again, very little feed back.

I agree that the videos were fairly rushed and the negative aspects they picked out weren't really important to me either. One reviewer really seemed put out that the heating element was "overpowered". I have to say, you'll never hear me complain about anything having too much power. Too little maybe, lol. Plus, it seems odd that they only brewed on the unit one time, if at all. I would expect at least a couple of brews on it to determine issues?

As far as cleaning the basket goes, that doesn't bother me. I'd probably just hit it with a hose, then let it dry overnight and brush off the rest.

Coltr88, since you are crushing pretty fine, have you had any issues with a stuck mash? It seems like the design would somewhat prevent that from happening, but again, very little feed back.
One issue I noticed in some of the negative reviews was they talked about that hop screen getting blocked up. Obviously it would depend on amount of hops so quite style dependent but just wondering if anybody had any issue or if they were using a hop spider or something?

I haven't had much of a chance to get to brewing. I'm hoping to sneak something end by the end of the month, which hopefully, I'll have my sink plumbed in.

One issue I noticed in some of the negative reviews was they talked about that hop screen getting blocked up. Obviously it would depend on amount of hops so quite style dependent but just wondering if anybody had any issue or if they were using a hop spider or something?
That DID happen to me the first brew. Since then, I switched to a hop spider and it hasn't happened again. It was a smokebeer, with only 2.5 oz of hops, so I don't think loose hops in the boil is ever going to work.

Too bad, BUT the cleanup is far easier if the hops are contained in the hop spider. With loose hops in the boil, there was so much hop residue down there that I had to suck it out with a mini wetvac. Now that I'm using the spider, I don't bother with the wetvac and just hose it down and use the pump to push it all out to the sink. So the spider is really a better way to go.

1689081727670.png

The hops issue does seem to be a problem with almost all of the AIO's. I usually use a hop spider. Not a big deal, but it would be nice not to have to bother with one.

Another question I have is about the pump. I was leaning towards one of the units that have more modular parts, but I do like the way the svbs tucks it away. Assuming, of course, it is replaceable should a problem occur. It seems to be more than strong enough for the unit?

The hops issue does seem to be a problem with almost all of the AIO's. I usually use a hop spider. Not a big deal, but it would be nice not to have to bother with one.

Another question I have is about the pump. I was leaning towards one of the units that have more modular parts, but I do like the way the svbs tucks it away. Assuming, of course, it is replaceable should a problem occur. It seems to be more than strong enough for the unit?
Pump is fine. It’s no march pump though.

When I got an AIO, I avoided the units that had external pumps. I really wanted the compact design. They say the pump is replaceable. One day I'll be bored and I'll flip this thing over and go in and see for myself. There are a zillion screws on the bottom. I'm guessing a few of them release the bottom plate, and pump etc are mounted on the plate.

Hi all, just took delivery of the system today. Hope to brew this weekend. I just wanted to ask about grain crush. Anybody have advice on the size of the crush? I know it’s not a bag, but this malt pipe seems to have a much finer punch than others from what I’ve been reading so maybe finer than some other systems? This will actually be my very first all grain batch. So just wondering if anybody has any advice when I talk to me LHBS about crushing my grains. Thanks!

I'm using about 0.035" crush with my three roll mill. I would probably ask your LHBS for a double crush and go from there.

I exported the temperature data and annotated. I was in no hurry. Next brew I'll probably shorten the mash period. I'll also be attempting some sort of sparge.

View attachment 818481
I am noticing that you added your grist @ the mash temperature. Do you or any of the other users have an initial strike temp that is higher than mash temperature? If so, what is a good ballpark differential between strike and mash? I know Palmer recommends 10 degrees but that seems high given the degree of mash control available w/ the svbs. I am planning 153 for my next brew with an expectation of 80% attenuation. Last brew I didn't fully understand how to control the mash so my temperature fell and my beer dropped like a rock with 90% attenuation (S-04).

Thanks for the help.

I am noticing that you added your grist @ the mash temperature. Do you or any of the other users have an initial strike temp that is higher than mash temperature? If so, what is a good ballpark differential between strike and mash? I know Palmer recommends 10 degrees but that seems high given the degree of mash control available w/ the svbs. I am planning 153 for my next brew with an expectation of 80% attenuation. Last brew I didn't fully understand how to control the mash so my temperature fell and my beer dropped like a rock with 90% attenuation (S-04).

Thanks for the help.
I would not do any differential temperature, for the reason you mentioned. I posted a graph above somewhere, but you can see that the temperature rebounds to the desired mash temperature very quickly.
I like high attenuation on most of my beers. But 90% is beyond what S-04 can do.

[edit] Look on this graph for "grist added" SSBrewTech - SVBS

Thanks for the prompt reply. I saw the graph last night and that prompted my question. Overall my brew went well procedurally but I have other stuff to learn going to AG from extract. Attenuation is currently sitting @ 94% so perhaps an infection? Want to pull the plug on that batch but thinking I need to stay the course for the full learning experience.

I bought the casters for the SVBS (they sell them). GREAT improvement for me. I was worried it would all become unstable during a brewing session, but it was completely solid. Having wheels makes it much easier for me to move it around, obviously. You can see the wheel locks on all four. Very solid wheels and locks. Quite happy with this.

1699803052515.png

I received the email today and am considering the purchase. Are folks here still happy with the SVBS experience?
You know how I feel :)

I would also use their hop spider, but I don't think it will fit into the kettle at the same time as the chiller, which is a problem with my process. However, if you're considering using an external chiller (e.g. plate chiller) then it looks like a good design.

You know how I feel :)

I would also use their hop spider, but I don't think it will fit into the kettle at the same time as the chiller, which is a problem with my process. However, if you're considering using an external chiller (e.g. plate chiller) then it looks like a good design.
I’d likely use an external chiller and a spike steam condenser, which I hear doesn’t fit great. I had been leaning towards the spike solo, but the SS BF deal is hard to pass on.

Thumbs up on SVBS. Yes to the brew cube, casters on the legs, etc. Hop spider and chiller work great to. Just purchased another 7gal brew bucket to facilitate back to back 5 gal batches.
20231111_134355.jpg

Back