NEW Product Announcement - Spike Solo Panel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that I've had some time with the panel, I have to say that the lack of an "element firing" indicator, whether mechanical LED or screen feature, is the one thing I have a problem with.

The design is sexy and the controls it does have are robust, I just like more intel so if I were to keep it, I'll be putting my own LED in.

Last edited:
Now that I've had some time with the panel, I have to say that the lack of an "element firing" indicator, whether mechanical LED or screen feature, is the one thing I have a problem with.
it doesnt even tell you if the heating is on?

it doesnt even tell you if the heating is on?
Well there is an element enable/disable toggle switch and the screen shows its orientation, but nothing about whether the heater is currently firing. Anyone that has brewed electric long enough knows why a big red light matters to help avoid dry firing.

Well there is an element enable/disable toggle switch and the screen shows its orientation, but nothing about whether the heater is currently firing. Anyone that has brewed electric long enough knows why a big red light matters to help avoid dry firing.
Hmm first time electric. I'll have to pay careful attention

Guys, I ordered my Solo Sep 28 and received my system a week ago. I have not used it yet but I am very confused about old threads 2-3 yrs old complaining about 5gals really means 3.5gals and something about the basket hanging keeps you from adjusting the amounts to accommodate lost of beer. Can someone please explain to me if that's still the case for a 10gal Solo system. If 5gals is max then I expect 5gals in my keg for football season. I am tired of buying beer because I ran out of homebrew beer and have to wait a month before I can enjoy again.

The gen is going to sound obnoxious when the controller is pulsing the element to control the boil. It will be rapidly switching between a full load and zero load.
Well crap. Tested it. Your right. It's pulsing. I can't hear it as I have a 50ft power cord. So it doesn't bother me. But that being said will it kill my generator. I have boil at 60% to do a test boil to test for boil off. But it's pulsing. Other than annoying. Is it bad. That being said if I keep it at 100% it's good lol. Mash it pulses.

Well, just on principal alone I find it to be contradictory to run an inefficient gasoline engine to create electricity to brew on. You might as well just use propane at that point. I understand there's a lot of argument about the utilities using questionable power sources for the grid, but we know for sure a local gas gen is about as bad as it gets. Not only that, but you have to feed the thing gas which is the one thing electric brewing is supposed to alleviate. What's the obstacle for a 240v circuit?

Guys, I ordered my Solo Sep 28 and received my system a week ago. I have not used it yet but I am very confused about old threads 2-3 yrs old complaining about 5gals really means 3.5gals and something about the basket hanging keeps you from adjusting the amounts to accommodate lost of beer. Can someone please explain to me if that's still the case for a 10gal Solo system. If 5gals is max then I expect 5gals in my keg for football season. I am tired of buying beer because I ran out of homebrew beer and have to wait a month before I can enjoy again.

Don't get caught up in all that. Just brew on it and bring your questions after.

Well, just on principal alone I find it to be contradictory to run an inefficient gasoline engine to create electricity to brew on. You might as well just use propane at that point. I understand there's a lot of argument about the utilities using questionable power sources for the grid, but we know for sure a local gas gen is about as bad as it gets. Not only that, but you have to feed the thing gas which is the one thing electric brewing is supposed to alleviate. What's the obstacle for a 240v circuit?
I don't have one In my garage my laundry isnt in garage. It's inside the house

You surely can run an extension cord from the laundry to wherever. With electric, you have to think outside the box. So many people just assume they have to brew in a certain place.

As long as you stay within the guidelines for electrical voltage, watts, etc they could effect the device over longer distance. I am not an electrician, but I have screwed up in the past a lot of devices not getting the correct extension cord and not knowing the length restrictions. I have also caused a fire extending a heater many moons ago when I was young, dumb and full of c...!

As long as you stay within the guidelines for electrical voltage, watts, etc they could effect the device over longer distance. I am not an electrician, but I have screwed up in the past a lot of devices not getting the correct extension cord and not knowing the length restrictions. I have also caused a fire extending a heater many moons ago when I was young, dumb and full of c...!
That's the cheapest route. Get a 30ft extension cord to my dryer outlet and just have to keep the door cracked enough to have the cord in. And deal with the flies later!! I'll see what it costs to add a outlet right on backside of my house panel. Inside my garage

You surely can run an extension cord from the laundry to wherever. With electric, you have to think outside the box. So many people just assume they have to brew in a certain place.
Change of plans. Getting a 30a dryer outlet installed tomorrow for dedicated homebrew. Oh well haha let's live on the wildd side!

I've been working on putting together my system (15g 240v) over the past several months since the panel was announced. Received my panel a couple weeks ago and have been putting the whole thing together (first pic). Finally had some time to brew this weekend, but I should have tested everything out first before hoping to brew. I had everything powered up and the water temp was showing (second pic) so I set my initial mash temp for strike water and turned on the element. Walked away for a few minutes, came back and the panel was showing a big fat dash where the temp reading should be; I checked the water temp with a thermometer and it did heat up to about 72 degrees before it shut down due to the safety controls. Turned it off, unplugged everything, double-checked the temp probe connections, plugged everything back in, powered it up, same result. I've already called Spike and left a message but damn, I'm disappointed.

IMG_4361.jpegIMG_4503.jpeg

Wow! I too have just set my Solo System also. After football I plan to put some water and PDW in it and see what happens. I have a 120v setup see attached

Attachments

• 20231112_113513.jpg
    20231112_113513.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Nice! Good luck!
I would make sure you have the temp probe connection all the way in past the dots on kettle side and on the panel side it needs to snap into place. Sounds like you are not reading the temp probe.

I would make sure you have the temp probe connection all the way in past the dots on kettle side and on the panel side it needs to snap into place. Sounds like you are not reading the temp probe.
If you look at my original post, I definitely was getting a temp reading but then suddenly wasn't. I unplugged and reconnected both ends to no avail.

If you look at my original post, I definitely was getting a temp reading but then suddenly wasn't. I unplugged and reconnected both ends to no avail.
Still sounds like a connection issue. Bad cable, bent pin, broken internal wire in the cable or issue with the Solo Panel which seems unlikely but possible. We'll I will be trying mine shortly. I am an computer engineer, own television production company and deal with a lot of cables. 9 out 10 times it's cables connection. Bad temp probe. Do you have another temp probe that you use with wort chiller? I would atleast eliminate the probe as the issue

Still sounds like a connection issue. Bad cable, bent pin, broken internal wire in the cable or issue with the Solo Panel which seems unlikely but possible. We'll I will be trying mine shortly. I am a computer engineer, own television production company and deal with a lot of cables. 9 out 10 times it's cables connection. Bad temp probe. Do you have another temp probe that you use with wort chiller? I would atleast eliminate the probe as the issue
That’s what I figure and I’m afraid I don’t. All my other temp probes are hard-wired to Inkbird controllers. :(

My new solo panel fried. Bad QC. The neutral has a bad solder. Snapped off and touched the hot. Frying it. And the neutral wire was loose. Check these pictures out. I have a yeast starter done ready to go. And now I'm done until I can get a new one and who knows when that can be?

They are now melted together
Lol

I had the electrician come back just now when it happened when heating up the water. Came back out to breaker tripped. He checked everything out. All looked good. I said well one thing left. Let's check the panel and opened it up and bam. I'm so disappointed right now.
PXL_20231112_202523147.jpg
PXL_20231112_202528336.jpg
PXL_20231112_202530646.jpg

My new solo panel fried. Bad QC. The neutral has a bad solder. Snapped off and touched the hot. Frying it. And the neutral wire was loose. Check these pictures out. I have a yeast starter done ready to go. And now I'm done until I can get a new one and who knows when that can be?

They are now melted together
Lol

I had the electrician come back just now when it happened when heating up the water. Came back out to breaker tripped. He checked everything out. All looked good. I said well one thing left. Let's check the panel and opened it up and bam. I'm so disappointed right now.
View attachment 833753View attachment 833754View attachment 833755
Oh no! That’s awful. Thankfully with mine everything else is working as expected.

Oh no! That’s awful. Thankfully with mine everything else is working as expected.
I'm pretty frustrated. Now I gotta figure out what to do with my starter since it's gonna sit in fridge for as long as it takes for spike to get one in my hand

The design is sexy and the controls it does have are robust, I just like more intel so if I were to keep it, I'll be putting my own LED in.
Will this controller eventually be available for your BIAB package on your website? If I can get some 240 run this winter planning to get your setup next year.

I'm pretty frustrated. Now I gotta figure out what to do with my starter since it's gonna sit in fridge for as long as it takes for spike to get one in my hand
So far, everything is working like a charm with my 120v. I have been running the pump and element set to 50%, then 125F mash while doing the first clean after unpacking using PDW in 3 gals water. I have also transfered the PDW solution from solo to CF5 and back! Waiting for water to complete rinsing. I will try my first batch next week. Good luck with your panel. I am sure Spike will take care of it.

So far, everything is working like a charm with my 120v. I have been running the pump and element set to 50%, then 125F mash while doing the first clean after unpacking using PDW in 3 gals water. I have also transfered the PDW solution from solo to CF5 and back! Waiting for water to complete rinsing. I will try my first batch next week. Good luck with your panel. I am sure Spike will take care of it.
i hope they will.. its a matter of rush to get me one.. or just put me back in a wait and get one whenever I get one... if I can get one by saturday i can probably knock this red ale out saturday night. and probably keep my yeast starter in fridge.. otherwise toss it and get a new 001 and redo it 48 hours from brew day.

I put a support ticket in with photos. I also called and left a voicemail.. We shall see. I pray

Last edited:
i hope they will.. its a matter of rush to get me one.. or just put me back in a wait and get one whenever I get one... if I can get one by saturday i can probably knock this red ale out saturday night. and probably keep my yeast starter in fridge.. otherwise toss it and get a new 001 and redo it 48 hours from brew day.

I put a support ticket in with photos. I also called and left a voicemail.. We shall see. I pray
I can contest that SPIKE has excellent customer service and they will respond promptly. I have called customer service for 4 months with all kinds of questions and concerns and they have done nothing bit provide EXCELLENT customer service. No, I am not getting paid to say that. In my profession, I deal with many customer service/ technical departments and spike so far has been flawless! Do not stress your self they will take care of it fast.

I can contest that SPIKE has excellent customer service and they will respond promptly. I have called customer service for 4 months with all kinds of questions and concerns and they have done nothing bit provide EXCELLENT customer service. No, I am not getting paid to say that. In my profession, I deal with many customer service/ technical departments and spike so far has been flawless! Do not stress your self they will take care of it fast.
SPIKE already emailed me back on a sunday and said they will send one out tomorrow for me. They started to add extra solder on joints because they have one other come in with a similar issue. So they were familiar with my failure thankfully, working on fixing the issue from future panels and getting me one out asap.

I offered to pay the difference for a faster delivery. well see if I can get lucky. Hoping to brew saturday night.

@mggray87 From your picture, it looks like the neutral screw was loose, creating heat from the bad connection then melting the solder. Additional solder would not prevent that bad connection problem, but Spike should figure that out when they examine the failure.

@mggray87 From your picture, it looks like the neutral screw was loose, creating heat from the bad connection then melting the solder. Additional solder would not prevent that bad connection problem, but Spike should figure that out when they examine the failure.
Your right that wire I was able to pull out on my own without unscrewing it. Unless after it dries it was able to move. But yes I noticed that and pulled it out with my hands very easily.

That is a situation where a bad assembly can pas a basic power on test then the user gets to experience the failure. Hope your replacement shows soon!

That is a situation where a bad assembly can pas a basic power on test then the user gets to experience the failure. Hope your replacement shows soon!
They already gave me shipping info. Rushing the panel so I can brew Saturday. 2 day FedEx. They are going outta there way to make sure I brew

They already gave me shipping info. Rushing the panel so I can brew Saturday. 2 day FedEx. They are going outta there way to make sure I brew
Like I told you before, SPIKE, has excellent customer service. They will address the issue immediately!

Latest posts

Back