Grainfather G40/G70 Discussion Thread: Questions, Tips and Tricks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be working on my second brew this weekend and was comparing Brewers Friend to GF recipe input. They are pretty close, but some distance between OG/FG and ABV, SRM, and total water. Especially different sparge amounts. I did full volume for my first batch, which was a pre-crushed kit. This next one I'll do the crush myself, but using a hand mill while I wait for the roller to arrive.

Anywho...is the experience in using BF or GF recipe builders favor one over another? At some point I'll be doing my own recipes but I would like to get a handle on which is more accurate for me. I have never tried beer smith.

I did my second brew and things went better than the first. I did a sparge and follwed GF app numbers. I also used a brew bag since I did the crush myself. I thought the crush was more fine than it should be, which is why I used the bag. Based off the reported efficiency (69.4%), I think I could have gone smaller.

My OG was 1.058, and target was 1.064. Still have some adjustments to make, but seems like the efficiency using an electric brew might not get much better.

Latest posts

Back