American IPA Single Hop Vic Secret IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon87

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega OYL-200 Tropical IPA
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
n/a
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days total. First 3 days at 75f, bumped to 78 for the last 11.
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
n/a
Tasting Notes
Tropical Tropical tropical! Huge extra ripe mango on the nose and flavor.
Grabbed 8oz of Vic Secret from Yakima Valley, I've been wanting to try them out in a brew for a while. Decided on a single hop IPA. Paired with the OYL-200 yeast, this thing was a tropical bomb from the first signs of fermentation and it carried through to the finished beer. This was crazy good and was received really well at Puerto Rico's first ever Homebrew Fest this past weekend. If anyone decides to brew this I would love to hear how it turns out for you.

OG 1.063
FG 1.008

Grain Bill
70.1% 2 row
21.1% Vienna
7% Carafoam
1.8% Honey Malt

Hop Schedule
.5oz Vic Secret (19%) @30min
.5oz Vic Secret (19%) @10min
2oz Vic Secret (19%) steep/whirlpool 15min at 160f
5oz Vic Secret (19%) dry hop for the final 5 days

IBU's
Beersmith calculated 47.7, it has a nice balance, a touch more IBU would be ok, personally I wouldn't do any less.

SRM 5.6
Fairly simple grain bill that I have used successfully at competition before. Bumped up the 2 row a bit for a higher OG but overall it is a pretty solid build to showcase some hops. You could swap the honey malt for a touch of caramel or just drop it all together, you probably wouldn't notice it missing at all. I like the touch of color and sweetness it provides I find it plays well with fruity hops, YMMV.

ABV 7.3%

Super smooth, absolutely zero perceivable alcohol. I had never used this yeast before and I wasn't sure how low it would go. Beer finished at 1.008 but it did not taste thin in anyway.

Sounds great! Vic Secret is a wonderful hop, especially when used in the whirlpool and especially in the dry hop.

With such a high cohumulone content, I'll often reserve the majority of it for a dry hop.

I like all IPAs, but my wife particularly likes the lighter/fruity/tropical IPAs with low bitterness. I try to do something every other batch that's up her alley. I may give this a go. What temperature did you mash at?

Last edited:
Also, what IBUs is Beersmith giving you for the whirlpool? I use brewersfriend and really like the site but I struggle with the numbers it gives me for whirlpool IBUs. When you select whirlpool, utilization defaults to 10%, regardless of how long or what temperature you specify. I have read online 10% is a common assumption but it seems like too much at lower whirlpool temps. For example, your recipe would yield 41 IBUs just for the whirlpool in brewersfriend.

I have a pound of vic waiting for some use. Sounds like a winner after my tomorrowland batch (never enough time or fermentor space).
Neil

I have a pound of vic waiting for some use. Sounds like a winner after my tomorrowland batch (never enough time or fermentor space).
Neil

I hear you there, I poured 10 gal at an event this past weekend and now my keezer is bone dry. Got a red ipa planned for this weekend and then probably this recipe with the 1/2lb of Sabro hops I picked up. The hops and yeast were both new to me, but I think the yeast was the real key to how tropical this beer turned out. WLP644 would be the alternative if where ever you shop doesnt carry the Omega strain.

Last edited:
20181214_204140.jpg
Shameless bump to get some interest, i know everone likes pictures, you want to brew this beer. In my fancy new glass from Jackie O's to boot.

Last edited:
Should the gov't decide to give me a paycheck again, I can buy the grains for this again. Hops and yeast waiting patiently at the house. Guess I could grow up this yeast and split it up so I can stop buying it every time. Anyone else make yeast starters for fun when you cant brew? LOL

Brewing this again today. Only change is adding 1# vienna and no carapils. Haven't brewed in 6 months, cant wait!

Back