American IPA The New West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihavenonickname

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
These have been my favorite beers for a couple years now. Surprised there isn't anything like it on this board yet. I've been dialing in this recipe with some pointers/details from a great local brewery (There does not Exist). The result is the modern, lean take on WCIPA a la Green Cheek, Highland Park, Slice, Alvarado St, and TDNE. Very light malt bill, restrained bitterness, bursting hop flavor and aroma. Pilsner malt is key, the water is key, and finishing down at 1.008-1.010 is critical for the full effect. Simcoe and citra is one of my favorite hop combos, they have a synergistic effect that's just perfect for wcipa tho you you could add in some others too. At first glance it might seem like not enough bitterness for IPA, but as long as you get the FG low enough its perfect! My mash schedule below works great and steps are easy on my system, if you want to do a single infusions 148F, no mash out, should work great at keeping the beer dry. I like to dry hop these beers at ferm temps to let the hop creep drive down the FG (this is different than my cold DH process for hazy beers).

https://share.brewfather.app/XAbAi3wKWCJy31
76.7% efficiency
Batch Volume: 23 L
Boil Time: 30 min
Total Water: 32 L
Boil Volume: 26.75 L
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.059

Vitals​

Original Gravity: 1.063
Final Gravity (Fixed): 1.010
IBU (Tinseth): 51
BU/GU: 0.80
Colour: 3.9 SRM

Mash​

Temperature — 146 °F30 min
Temperature — 158 °F30 min

Malts (14 lb)

10 lb (71.4%) — Weyermann Barke Pilsner — Grain — 1.8 SRM
4 lb (28.6%) — Great Western Brewer's Malt, 2-Row, Premium — Grain — 2 SRM

Hops (12.5 oz)

0.3 oz (8 IBU) — Simcoe 12.6% — Boil — 30 min
1.5 oz
(31 IBU) — Citra 13% — Boil — 15 min
1.7 oz
(7 IBU) — Simcoe 12.6% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 180 °F
1 oz
(5 IBU) — Citra 13% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 180 °F
4 oz
— Citra 13% — Dry Hop
2 oz — Citra lupomax 19% — Dry Hop
2 oz — Simcoe 12.6% — Dry Hop

Miscs​

2 g — Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) — Mash
1 g
— Epsom Salt (MgSO4) — Mash
5.5 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
4 ml
— Lactic Acid 88% — Mash

Yeast​

2 pkg — Cellar Science Cali Cali 75%
Or similar Chico, Bry-97 is a new favorite.

Fermentation​

Primary — 68 °F
Carbonation: 2.4 CO2-vol

Water Profile​

Ca2+ 60, Mg2+ 4, Na+ 8, Cl- 35, SO42- 111, HCO3- 19

IMG_6918.jpegEC2542DA-EB3F-4B71-8A68-EE873A2494DF.jpeg145A9E48-8FF6-44B4-AF67-FDA5507AE449.jpeg

Last edited:
Great looking recipe, I love making this style as well. Usually all or mostly pilsner, sometimes I throw in a handful of something else just for fun.

250-300 sulfate, mash low, I push the IBUs pretty high, with great results. 6% abv, 75 ibus, 8%, 100 ibus.

Pretty much just echoing what you've already provided above. Mix and match hops as I work through the surplus in my freezer.

I was listening to some podcasts where people talk about this style. They were also talking about using pils malt as well. He said he likes Rahr pils malt and also Gambrinus pils malt. I think someone also said they like to use Weyermann pils malt in them. That seems like it would be way too malty but I've never tried it. I used Briess pils malt in an IPA a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Seemed like it had about the limit of pils malt character that I would want in an IPA though. He did say that a strong pils malt flavor can go well with new zealand hops...

These have been my favorite beers for a couple years now. Surprised there isn't anything like it on this board yet. I've been dialing in this recipe with some tips from a great local brewery. The result is the modern, lean take on WCIPA a al Green Cheek, Highland Park, Slice, Alvarado St, and TDNE. Very light malt bill, restrained bitterness, bursting hop flavor and aroma. Pilsner malt is key, the water is key, and finishing down at 1.008-1.010 is critical for the full drinking experience. Simcoe and citra is one of my favorite hop combos, they have a synergistic effect that's just perfect for wcipa. At first glance it might seem like not enough bitterness for the full IPA effect, but as long as you get the FG low enough its perfect! My mash schedule below works great and steps are easy on my system, if you want to do a single infusions 148F, no mash out, should work great at keeping the beer dry.

76.7% efficiency
Total Water: 32.03 L

Vitals​

Mash​

Malts (14 lb)

Hops (12.5 oz)

0.3 oz (8 IBU) — Simcoe (Whole) 12.6% — Boil — 30 min
1.5 oz
1.7 oz
(7 IBU) — Simcoe (Whole) 12.6% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 180 °F
1 oz
4 oz
— Citra 13% — Dry Hop — 1 days
2 oz
— Citra lupo 19% — Dry Hop — 1 days
2 oz
— Simcoe (Whole) 12.6% — Dry Hop — 1 days

Miscs​

1 g
5.5 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
4 ml
— Lactic Acid 88% — Mash

Yeast​

Fermentation​

Primary — 68 °F14 days

Water Profile​

Ca2+ 60
Mg2+4
Na+8
Cl-35
SO42-111
HCO3-19

View attachment 785912

Thanks for starting the thread! This is the direction I want to go in the near future. Appreciate passing on tips to watch FG & IBU, was wondering about appropriate bitterness levels since I haven’t actually consumed these from Cali brewers.

Good article in a recent issue if CB&B with North Park & a podcast episode with Slice Brewing head brewer for those that missed them.

Thanks for starting the thread! This is the direction I want to go in the near future. Appreciate passing on tips to watch FG & IBU, was wondering about appropriate bitterness levels since I haven’t actually consumed these from Cali brewers.

Good article in a recent issue if CB&B with North Park & a podcast episode with Slice Brewing head brewer for those that missed them.
yeah, that's the one i listened to, Slice Brewing.

I actually use CMC Superior Pils malt (I'm in Canada), one of the brewers on CB&B mentioned it. It's my house Pils malt, and it is AWESOME in this style. Adds a nice bit of sweetness to counter the hops. #makeipaclearagain

I'm going to brew a 100% Pils WCIPA this weekend, but I'm totally stealing OP's hop bill! You even attached the Brewfather file... amazing.

Chico strain for sure, Bry-97 is a good choice. Although highland park uses 34/70 which I like a lot too. Dry hop rate for many of these breweries use is ~4lbs/bbl. Which for us is 10oz. I've been happy in the 8-10oz range with a little cryo or lupomax. I have no trouble getting totally clear beer with gelatin in the keg for a week.
What kind of yeast? Dry hop rate? And how do you get it to clear up?

Chico strain for sure, Bry-97 is a good choice. Although highland park uses 34/70 which I like a lot too. Dry hop rate for many of these breweries use is ~4lbs/bbl. Which for us is 10oz. I've been happy in the 8-10oz range with a little cryo or lupomax. I have no trouble getting totally clear beer with gelatin in the keg for a week.
how hazy are modern wcipas? i've never seen one. i heard the Omega labs research director on a CB&B podcast say that chico is less likely to produce haze compared with the strains used in hazy ipa (they are not really sure why exactly at this point.) i'm wondering how the hop flavor changes in going from chico to laIII with the same exact malt and hop usage.

I made a cold IPA and really liked it. It got me thinking about pumping out these sort of lighter, crisper, more drinkable IPAs. It looks like the difference here is the 2row instead of an adjunct and cali ale instead of 34/70.

A recent CB&B podcast, if I remember right, said that Highland Park uses 34/70 for their IPAs.

Nice thread here.

Can someone post Green Cheek West Coast IPA Is Dead clone recipe? I went to their taproom in 2021 and they were a massive highlight for me. Them and Highland park. Almost brings a tear to my eye.

I definately think these beers should be clear and all the commerical ones I can think of have been clear. The big dry hop could make that challenging, but using chico and gelatin mine have all cleared up no problem after a week. I've noticed 34/7 takes a little longer to drop totally clear. I do think dropping it clear after the dry hop helps with crispness and reduces dry hop astringency.

Yeah there definitely is some cross over with cold IPA (and the mix match of chico AND 34/70 being used in both a cold ipa or a wcipa just confuses the categories, but PLEASE lets not get caught up in labels and marketing debate) but I think wcipa should generally be made with chico. Everytime I have a have a cold IPA I've thought it would be better if they just left the adjuncts out and used more pilsner. But yeah I think both are great takes on IPA.

GC WCIPA is dead is all pilsner, bitter with simcoe to 50ibus, WP simcoe, DH simcoe and citra. I've made it according to their recipe, it was the starting point for my recipe here, its turned out great! But I've since made adjustments above for less bitterness and more hop flavor and I like what a little blend of the 2 row adds, I can taste the grain more. I got these tips from local pro whose beers I love... and shoot it sounds like a lot of the same tips as the video above.

Last edited:
how hazy are modern wcipas? i've never seen one. i heard the Omega labs research director on a CB&B podcast say that chico is less likely to produce haze compared with the strains used in hazy ipa (they are not really sure why exactly at this point.) i'm wondering how the hop flavor changes in going from chico to laIII with the same exact malt and hop usage.

I recommend searching untapped for some of the breweries mentioned by @ihavenonickname in the op. Most are totally clear, presumably for the reasons discussed by Omega researchers, etc. I have noticed that many hopped with Southern Hemisphere hops show a slight haze though. I believe Alvarado Street makes some’ hazy wcipas’ & have provided recipes with oats/wheat & fermented with a Chico strain.

I want to brew theses modern wcipas in part b/c, as a brewer, I want to have the knowledge to control clarity & hop flavor intensity to brew what I like. The few modern wcipas I’ve had compare favorably to a neipa in terms of flavor intensity, but are generally more drinkable to my palate.

I was listening to some podcasts where people talk about this style. They were also talking about using pils malt as well. He said he likes Rahr pils malt and also Gambrinus pils malt. I think someone also said they like to use Weyermann pils malt in them. That seems like it would be way too malty but I've never tried it. I used Briess pils malt in an IPA a few years ago and really enjoyed it. Seemed like it had about the limit of pils malt character that I would want in an IPA though. He did say that a strong pils malt flavor can go well with new zealand hops...
I really dig Rahr malts. Their 2row is great and if IIRC, it has higher protein levels than most maltster 2row

I really dig Rahr malts. Their 2row is great and if IIRC, it has higher protein levels than most maltster 2row
I like the 2-row pale malt as well. that's what i've been using in my IPA. Maybe I'll give the Pils malt a try in this style. I'm pumped to try brewing a modern west coast ipa!
EDIT: I usually refer to what some refer to as "2-row" as "pale malt" (as opposed to "pale ale malt") anyway, i should stop trying to buck the system and just give in to "2-row", lol. Rahr seems to use the term "standard 2-row" for their version of "2-row" or "pale malt"

Last edited:
I like to dry hop these beers at ferm temps to let the hop creep drive down the FG
Really curious about this statement. There has never been a time in my experience where I wanted hop creep. As a matter of fact, I have gone through massive changes in my brewing in an effort to avoid it. I've found hop creep invites all sorts of undesirables. Can you provide more details on your dry hopping for this? And then when do you add the gelatin? How do you avoid oxygen?
Also, does this recipe work with any other clean neutral yeast like Irish Ale, Kolsch or even Omega Gulo (love this yeast)?

I like the 2-row pale malt as well. that's what i've been using in my IPA. Maybe I'll give the Pils malt a try in this style. I'm pumped to try brewing a modern west coast ipa!
Rahr standard 2- row not the pale is the base for most of my beers. It's priced good and is clean and can make almost anything with some specialty malts. It also helps keeps ph down in that it seems more acidic. I recently bought a bag of North Star Pilsner malt. I used some mixed with the standard 2-row in a Saison and liked the results.
I think I'll try some in a WCIPA and again mix with some 2-row.
cheers

Jumping into this thread, I brewed what I hope will be a nice clear wcipa a couple weeks back, bittered with chinook then hopped the rest of the way with citra and cascade. Fermented with us05. Hydro sample was nice, just cold crashed and will be kegging soon. I didn't use gelatin yet but I'm gonna try to grab some before I keg it. Good thread!!

interesting how folks are interested in going as "clean, hoppy lager" as possible but still want to be an ipa. even when using lager yeast.

anyways, while its not easy to get i would advise folks to try this definitely-not-new style with san diego super (white labs). it always seems to take the edge off bitterness in a way that goes well here.

interesting how folks are interested in going as "clean, hoppy lager" as possible but still want to be an ipa. even when using lager yeast.

anyways, while its not easy to get i would advise folks to try this definitely-not-new style with san diego super (white labs). it always seems to take the edge off bitterness in a way that goes well here.
WLP090 is my go to for this when I make it.

I used super san Diego a lot in the past, for west coast ipas. Didn't think to use it here but you make a good point and I'll put it in my next one. I really like white labs in general and my lhbs always has it.

Really curious about this statement. There has never been a time in my experience where I wanted hop creep. As a matter of fact, I have gone through massive changes in my brewing in an effort to avoid it. I've found hop creep invites all sorts of undesirables. Can you provide more details on your dry hopping for this? And then when do you add the gelatin? How do you avoid oxygen?
Also, does this recipe work with any other clean neutral yeast like Irish Ale, Kolsch or even Omega Gulo (love this yeast)?
I agree I’ve spent most of my brewing life trying to stop hop creep by dry hoping cold and short for hazy IPA. It’s particularly important for that style when trying to keep the final gravity and body high. I first started hearing about embracing hop creep from Vinny at Russian River in a couple of interviews. As they increased their DryHop rates, hop creep became a big problem for them, and instead of trying to avoid it they embraced it and have adjusted their recipes to account for it. I think dry hopping in large quantity will inevitably create more fermentable sugars that are going to be consumed if warm in the fermentor or ( hopefully not ) in the can. I can think of a handful of other breweries, who also allow hop creep to run its course.(Firestone walker for one) although if you can ensure cold storage and transport like us home Brewers can and many small breweries can then this may not be an important goal.
All that to say by dry hopping at the tail end fermentation 2 to 4 pounds per barrel and leaving the beer warm for a few days, The enzymes from the hops will create more fermentable sugars and bring the final gravity down a point or two in most scenarios. I DryHop with a DryHop doser and positive CO2 pressure flowing into the fermenter. More often than not I transfer the beer off the trub into a dry hopping keg, so that I can rouse mechanically. I think rousing has a positive impact for sure, I’m not sure the DryHop Doser with the butterfly valve matters that much to be honest. (Edit: after clearing VDK /3-5 days later ill cold crash under pressure and transfer to serving keg)
I dose gelatin or biofine into the keg through the gas port using a carb cap.
I can’t speak to those yeasts in WCIPA but I bet the kolsch yeast would be good!

Last edited:
The video referenced in post #8 above also has a part where Wynn, the brewer, discusses using hop creep, or allowing for it to pressurize and carbonate the beer while dry hopping. He dry hops at 68F I think he said and always does a VDK test before cold crashing again and doing final carbonation adjustment. I agree that it makes me nervous to do it, but if you have a very dry, low FG beer to begin with (i think Wynn said he was at 2-2.5 plato) there isn't a ton for the yeast to work with.

I've heard several brewers mention using a warm dry hop on various podcasts lately. Surly does it as well. I have moved to the mid-50s dry hop that many on here are doing, but I am interested in comparing the warm one to the 50s one again. I'd be pretty afraid to do it in a hazy though, considering the considerable FG left by the less attenuative yeast strains.

I agree I’ve spent most of my brewing life trying to stop hop creep by dry hoping cold and short for hazy IPA. It’s particularly important for that style when trying to keep the final gravity and body high. I first started hearing about embracing hop creep from Vinny at Russian River in a couple of interviews. As they increased their DryHop rates, hop creep became a big problem for them, and instead of trying to avoid it they embraced it and have adjusted their recipes to account for it. I think dry hopping in large quantity will inevitably create more fermentable sugars that are going to be consumed if warm in the fermentor or ( hopefully not ) in the can. I can think of a handful of other breweries, who also allow hop creep to run its course.(Firestone walker for one) although if you can ensure cold storage and transport like us home Brewers can and many small breweries can then this may not be an important goal.
All that to say by dry hopping at the tail end fermentation 2 to 4 pounds per barrel and leaving the beer warm for a few days, The enzymes from the hops will create more fermentable sugars and bring the final gravity down a point or two in most scenarios. I DryHop with a DryHop doser and positive CO2 pressure flowing into the fermenter. More often than not I transfer the beer off the trub into a dry hopping keg, so that I can rouse mechanically. I think rousing has a positive impact for sure, I’m not sure the DryHop Doser with the butterfly valve matters that much to be honest. (Edit: after clearing VDK /3-5 days later ill cold crash under pressure and transfer to serving keg)
I dose gelatin or biofine into the keg through the gas port using a carb cap.
I can’t speak to those yeasts in WCIPA but I bet the kolsch yeast would be good!
Have you ever tried just mashing lower and making those sugars available during fermentation?

I feel like this would be a better option than welcoming hopcreep. Hop creep can cause astringency and does change the profile of the beer in comparison to not allowing it to occur.

Though at 35 doses for $30 it is not crazy expensive either, especially considering that it might save a batch that has $20+ worth of hops...well, assuming it makes an improvement. I believe this will not stop "creep" but will prevent the creation of Diacyl.

I tend to lean towards the "let the enzymes in hops do their thing" approach. There is some solid evidence that the term "Dry Hopping" came from adding hops to lower the gravity of a beer...to dry it out. Then more modern hop processing techniques killed off the enzymes during processing, before people realized it also squashed some of the desirable hop characteristics. Now with lower temperature processing, hops once again have enzymes that break down starches.

76055A16-C3D6-4C4A-9C0E-6DC2A2569C7D.jpeg

I brewed this back in April. The beer on the right side I don’t recall the recipe but I use rhar 2 row with some golden naked oats. Next beer I’m. Brewing will be 100% gambrinus pils.

Have you ever tried just mashing lower and making those sugars available during fermentation?

I feel like this would be a better option than welcoming hopcreep. Hop creep can cause astringency and does change the profile of the beer in comparison to not allowing it to occur.
So would yourapproach be to avoid hop creep whenever possible? Which for us that must mean dry hop cold and short and hope diacetyl doesn’t form…?

I won’t pretend to be an expert on hop creep, It’s a really big topic and quite complicated. But I have listened to a lot a smart brewers give talks on it and try to follow their lead. That said I don’t think mashing low does much to avoid hop creep so it doesn’t really solve the problem… but maybe mashing for the body you want, dry hopping cold, and then never letting your beer or cans warm up and hope refermentation never kicks back up is actually a pretty good plan. (Edit: like you are suggesting)

Here is some great content on talks I’ve heard to help define the issue and what pros are doing about it.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/...-What-It-Is-and-Approaches-to-Managing-It.pdf
Also vinnie has a least a few hours of interviews out there giving tips for approaches to hop creep for home brewers. What a guy! Here’s one

Last edited:
So would yourapproach be to avoid hop creep whenever possible? Which for us that must mean dry hop cold and short and hope diacetyl doesn’t form…?

I won’t pretend to be an expert on hop creep, It’s a really big topic and quite complicated. But I have listened to a lot a smart brewers give talks on it and try to follow their lead. That said I don’t think mashing low does much to avoid hop creep so it doesn’t really solve the problem… but maybe mashing for the body you want, dry hopping cold, and then never letting your beer or cans warm up and hope refermentation never kicks back up is (?)actually a pretty good plan.

Here is a lot some great content on talks I’ve heard to help dfi e the complexity of the issue and what pros are doing about.

https://www.brewersassociation.org/...-What-It-Is-and-Approaches-to-Managing-It.pdf
Also vinnie has a least a few hours of interviews out there giving tips for approaches to hop creep for home brewers. What a guy! Here’s one

I think there was some confusion on how your read my post. I never claimed mashing low will eliminate hop creep… my response to you was in regards to this specific portion of your post
. I like to dry hop these beers at ferm temps to let the hop creep drive down the FG (this is different than my cold DH process for hazy beers).
Instead of purposely targeting hop creep to influence your final gravity, why not mash lower to control the fg and then go through the typical dryhoping and storage methods to avoid it.

I understood, I think it’s a good suggestion. I have never done it for this style of beer, but do it for hazies, so I think it would work for these too.

But, isnt it interesting that the “experts” don’t suggest avoiding hop creep the way you are suggesting? (See references above and post #8)

Why not? Maybe it’s because they can’t ensure cold side storage and transport. And those who do suggest avoiding dry hop creep (for hazy) can ensure cold storage.

No worries. I’m glad I was clear then.
Why not? Maybe it’s because they can’t ensure cold side storage and transport. And those who do suggest avoiding dry hop creep (for hazy) can ensure cold storage.
Thats exactly why. They specifically have to worry about it in distribution because they can’t control how properly distributors and beverage centers handle and store their products.

going to brew this today, but 30 minute boil time for Pilsner malt? Is this intentional for any reason?

These have been my favorite beers for a couple years now. Surprised there isn't anything like it on this board yet. I've been dialing in this recipe with some pointers/details from a great local brewery (There does not Exist). The result is the modern, lean take on WCIPA a la Green Cheek, Highland Park, Slice, Alvarado St, and TDNE. Very light malt bill, restrained bitterness, bursting hop flavor and aroma. Pilsner malt is key, the water is key, and finishing down at 1.008-1.010 is critical for the full effect. Simcoe and citra is one of my favorite hop combos, they have a synergistic effect that's just perfect for wcipa tho you you could add in some others too. At first glance it might seem like not enough bitterness for IPA, but as long as you get the FG low enough its perfect! My mash schedule below works great and steps are easy on my system, if you want to do a single infusions 148F, no mash out, should work great at keeping the beer dry. I like to dry hop these beers at ferm temps to let the hop creep drive down the FG (this is different than my cold DH process for hazy beers).

76.7% efficiency
Total Water: 32 L

Vitals​

Mash​

Malts (14 lb)

Hops (12.5 oz)

0.3 oz (8 IBU) — Simcoe 12.6% — Boil — 30 min
1.5 oz
1.7 oz
(7 IBU) — Simcoe 12.6% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 180 °F
1 oz
4 oz
— Citra 13% — Dry Hop
2 oz — Citra lupomax 19% — Dry Hop
2 oz — Simcoe 12.6% — Dry Hop

Miscs​

1 g
5.5 g
— Gypsum (CaSO4) — Mash
4 ml
— Lactic Acid 88% — Mash

Yeast​

Fermentation​

Primary — 68 °F

Water Profile​

Ca2+ 60, Mg2+ 4, Na+ 8, Cl- 35, SO42- 111, HCO3- 19

View attachment 785912
I'll have to try Pilsner malt as the base. This is my WC-ish ipa recipe for Citra/Mosaic, which has become a staple on my tap list. 1 pack US05. I used to use Vienna instead of Munich, and the color was nearly identical to yours. I'll have to take out the Munich, but damn does it give the beer that extra little umph!
APA.png

Latest posts

Back