American IPA The New West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can confirm this is super tasty, I was lucky enough to get a couple cans from @secretlevel. Loads and loads of rip grapefruit.

I also brewed the sorta mostly dead recipe recently, love this grain bill as a base for WC IPAs.
While it was tasty to drink, the judges didn't like it very much. Some complaints of beer being too light in color and in character (only 6.3% abv), so there's that. If I were to brew this for a comp, I'd probably go with 2-row vs pils, go up to 7% or so and add a second dry hop.

Ya that’s too bad. If I was doing a comp for American IPA I’d take a totally different approach. Two row, Munich centennial/cascade. Whatever dude, I wouldn’t fret it. Remind me not to enter another IPA in a comp!

I’ve actually done much better in comps with helles, kolsch, German pils. The “hard” styles are actually easier to score well I think.

Last edited:
While it was tasty to drink, the judges didn't like it very much. Some complaints of beer being too light in color and in character (only 6.3% abv), so there's that. If I were to brew this for a comp, I'd probably go with 2-row vs pils, go up to 7% or so and add a second dry hop.
Similar problem i have when entering my hazy pale ale. Not strong enough to be an IPA and it doesn’t look or feel like a regular pale ale.

Ya that’s too bad. If I was doing a comp for American IPA I’d take a totally different approach. Two row, Munich centennial/cascade. Whatever dude, I wouldn’t fret it. Remind me not to enter another IPA in a comp!

I’ve actually done much better in comps with helles, kolsch, German pils. The “hard” styles are actually easier to score well I think.
I just chatted with the guy who placed #2 at the Comp and he actually made a modern IPA for that, so there's hope! His was higher abv and Strata/Mosaic instead of Simcoe/Mosaic.

Similar problem i have when entering my hazy pale ale. Not strong enough to be an IPA and it doesn’t look or feel like a regular pale ale.
Hazy Pale Ale is a favorite style of mine. I just got back from a trip to New Zealand, and there were a lot more Hazy Pale Ales on tap than Hazy IPAs. Who would have thunk that not every country likes to consume 8.5% beers while at the pub! I have never tried to enter anything into 34C. Experimental Beer, it seems like too much of a crapshoot left up to the judges whims, but I am not sure there is a better spot. For now, I just figure that is a style for me to brew and enjoy, and submit other beers to competitions.

I got some negative comments from a few judges about my 2-Row + Wheat + Munich IPA being too light in color for the American IPA category.

Latest west coast. This has some new tweaks. Tried 4% raw wheat, got the idea from pure project in San Diego, they use it in all their hoppy beers for head and some softness. The foam on this is excellent. But I also do a mash rest at 160 that I think helps. FG 1.006, I love it. Maybe I like 1.006-1.008 the same.

This is 40 IBUs of simcoe at start of boil. I’m liking more IBUs in these beers, especially with simcoe. I think we homebrewers need it because our WP doesn’t add as much bitterness with quick chilling times, or maybe I’m having pallete shift.

This has a 15oz dry hop in 7 gallons finished beer. It’s 7 oz of strata that smells good but not pungent and the aroma on this beer is lacking. More dry hops obviously isnt always the answer, there is a magic something something that still comes and goes for me.
IMG_7243.jpeg
IMG_7228.jpeg
IMG_7249.jpeg

Last edited:
Didn’t realize I didn’t post the recipe earlier but I brewed a really simple modern west

100% Pilsner dme (no grain at all)
Yeast: us05
Abv: 7.6%

Hotside 2:1
Mosiac
Talus

Dryhop 2:2:1
Mosaic cryo
Nectaron
Talus

Ended up taking a silver at Homebrew alley this past weekend. So if you’re an extract brewer, just know dme can make a great beer with heathy and controlled fermentation and your coldside process is dialed in!
IMG_1835.jpeg
IMG_1831.jpeg

Didn’t realize I didn’t post the recipe earlier but I brewed a really simple modern west

Mosiac
Talus

Mosaic cryo
Nectaron
Talus

Ended up taking a silver at Homebrew alley this past weekend. So if you’re an extract brewer, just know dme can make a great beer with heathy and controlled fermentation and your coldside process is dialed in! View attachment 846631View attachment 846632

Excellent

Can you mention the brand of Pilsner DME that you used?
To tell you the truth, I don’t even recall and I bought it from my local. I believe they only carry Briess Dme though. I can give them a shout though if you’d like

@Dgallo sounds so great - that’s the kinda beer that reminds me even with two kids I’ll never want to quit home brewing - a super easy fresh delicious ipa still way cheaper than commercial with DME!

What do you do for a bittering IBUs and hot side hopping rates for a beer like that? I don’t do much in that DIPA range.

Last edited:
@Dgallo sounds so great - that’s the kinda beer that reminds me even with two kids I’ll never want to quit home brewing - a super easy fresh delicious ipa still way cheaper than commercial with DME!

What do you do for a bittering IBUs and hot side hopping rates for a beer like that? I don’t do much in that DIPA range.
For bittnerness I use about a 1.0 BU/GU ratio. So this beer was 70 ibus.

Whirlpool rate was just about 1 oz per gallon.

Dryhop was 2oz per gallon

Mosiac
Talus

Mosaic cryo
Nectaron
Talus

Ended up taking a silver at Homebrew alley this past weekend. So if you’re an extract brewer, just know dme can make a great beer with heathy and controlled fermentation and your coldside process is dialed in! View attachment 846631View attachment 846632
How do you get such a great color with DME? Whenever I throw it in when I miss OG, I get 10+ SRMs over target.

How do you get such a great color with DME? Whenever I throw it in when I miss OG, I get 10+ SRMs over target.
Hmmm. Which dme are you using? Pilsner lite dme is a touch darker than when using just Pilsner malt but literally only a touch. I’d say max, 4.5-5 SRM. I also wait to add most of my dme at flame out.

Hmmm. Which dme are you using? Pilsner lite dme is a touch darker than when using just Pilsner malt but literally only a touch. I’d say max, 4.5-5 SRM. I also wait to add most of my dme at flame out.
An old bottle of Pilsen light LME from Briess I had on hand. Good advice to wait until the last second of the boil. The last time I did this was in a panic after getting horrible mash efficiency on a triple and still needed a longer boil to hit my numbers. I looked oxidized going into the fermenter. Still tasted good, but not pretty. It took me way too long to realize efficiencies scale with OG.

An old bottle of Pilsen light LME from Briess I had on hand. Good advice to wait until the last second of the boil. The last time I did this was in a panic after getting horrible mash efficiency on a triple and still needed a longer boil to hit my numbers. I looked oxidized going into the fermenter. Still tasted good, but not pretty. It took me way too long to realize efficiencies scale with OG.
Lme is definitely darker than dme especially if it’s old as the lme itself can oxidize.

I would just suggest always keeping 3 lbs of Pilsner lite and Bavarian wheat DME on hand. When I brew triple IPAs, instead of maxing out my mash ton I’ll use about 10-15% dme. Bavarian wheat dme is my main choice here because I get my GU I’m looking for but can add more body using wheat verse Pilsner lite

I’ve been really enjoying this style on the lower end of the abv spectrum recently. This one is all North Star Pils with a hint of Carapils, Ella first wort (30 IBUs), Sabro WP (1 oz/gal) and Azacca/Cashmere dryhop (1.2 oz/gal). Finished at 4.8 abv. Never went thru 10 gal faster. I also am a big biofine fan (2.5 mL per gallon in this one).
A9437D6B-90FF-402D-8CC4-E8D50E0EC14E.jpeg

Back