Thoughts on Pineapple Milkshake NEIPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCoutdoors

Reaction score
Long story short I am fairly new to brewing. A buddy and I have a few good brews under our belts using all-grain. The last beer I did was a pale ale and my wife liked it but said was too hoppy for her and wanted me to make her something Pineapple. So I scoured lots of other ideas and recipes and put together a recipe that to me looks good, but would love some feedback from more experienced folks.

Grain Bill:
9lbs 2-Row Pale
1lbs Flaked Wheat
8oz Flaked Oats
8z Carapils
8oz Rice Hulls

Hops:
0.25oz Citra 30min boil
0.3oz BRU-1 5min boil
0.3oz El Dorado 5min boil
1.5 Azacca 15min hopstand at 170F
1.5oz El Dorado 15min hopstand at 170F
0.5oz Citra 10min hopstand at 165F
1.25oz Citra Dry Hop 3 days after fermentation has finished
1oz BRU-1 3 days after fermentation has finished
1oz Vic Secret 3 days after fermentation has finished
0.5oz Denali (Sultana) 3 days after fermentation has finished
0.5oz BRU-1 5 days after first drop hop
0.5oz Denali (Sultana) 5 days after first drop hop
0.5oz Vic Secret 5 days after first drop hop

Yeast:
Omega OYL-091 Hornindal Kveik or White Labs WLP521 Hornindal

Additions:
12oz Lactose (10min left in boil)
1tsp Yeast Nutrient (10min left in boil)
1/5 gal 100% Pineapple Juice (with the first dry hop)
1oz Vanilla Extract (with the first dry hop)

Does anything here sound overkill?

Guess I should have said bitter hoppy
Got it. I'm a big fan of lots of late hops in my APAs. You get TONS of hops flavor and aroma, without pushing the bitterness into the IPA range. You could even increase that first addition and move it later in the boil, around 15 minutes; a lot of the flavor/aroma will get boiled off, even at 30 minutes. My beer that has done best in competition is an all-Citra APA with 2.25 oz at 15 min, 3 oz at flameout, and a 2.75 oz dry hop.

If you want to ge tthat pineapple taste I would only use Bru-1 and Citra. Bru-1. I also used 2x398ml cans of Dole crushed pineapple in a bag @ 1min boil and my beer was right on pineapple. It was a NEIPA 1.065OG...

0,5oz citra 30min
2oz Bru-1 0min
2oz citra 20min whirpool 75C
2oz Bru-1 20min whirpool
2oz citra dry hop 5 days
2oz Bru-1 dry hop 5 days

If you can get yourself some Laerdal kveik, that gives a lovely pinapple note to pale ales, at least with Citra and Idaho 7 it does. Of the many different kveiks I've tried this is my favorite. Its a beast and you'll need plenty of head room or a blow off tube. It'll be done in a few days too.

ETA - Too Far North is where I get all my kveik

Last edited:
There are several ways to get pineapple flavor into beer. Using pineapple forward hops is one way but hit or miss based on the quality of the hops. Adding pineapple is another way, but it usually takes quite a bit, like minimum 1lb/gallon. The Kveik yeast expression above is another one (new to me). But they are not exclusive. Artificial flavorings are another way, but I avoid that.

I think your hop schedule is fine, albeit more complicated than necessary. I'd add a single addition of a pineapple forward hop at 20 minutes to get your bitterness desired (maybe 20ibu's for your wife's sake), then add the WP additions below 170 to minimize further bittering.

But I'd increase your fruit addition to 5-6 pounds of puree. I use fresh pineapple pureed with 8oz of vodka. That works out to be about 3/4 of a gallon addition. It will probably decrease your end abv, there's a lot of water in pineapple. Added on day 2 or 3 while still actively fermenting.

And the first thing you need to do is brew a quality NEIPA, which is not easy due to the oxygen ingress problems, especially with multiple dry hop additions. If you don't have a solid process to mitigate oxygen ingress, then I'd consider a single dry hop addition (with the pineapple) during active fermentation. The pineapple will probably overpower any subtle dry hop contributions.

If you have a good low oxygen process for brewing a NEIPA then your two dry hop additions post-ferm is good. Cheers!

I have used frozen pineapple juice concentrate with good effect. You get the pineapple flavor and the sugar boost without diluting the wort or a lot of wort being absorbed into all the left over pineapple. The frozen concentrate I use is 100% juice with no sugar added. It has quite a bit of sugar per the label but it is all from the pineapple. The nutrition facts label will tell you how much sugar if you want to calculate it. I add it after fermentation is pretty much done which starts an second short fermentation. I feel like this helps keep the pineapple flavor.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/pineapple-concentrate.679555/

Back