American IPA The New West Coast IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, thanks for the tips.
They way forward will be to set up one of those fermonster FVs with a liquid and gas ballocks. I have all the parts here, I just need to find the time to build it all together.
What about rigging up a co2 filled Mylar balloon for the cold crash? Ive done that a few times before I bought the Fermzilla.

What about rigging up a co2 filled Mylar balloon for the cold crash? Ive done that a few times before I bought the Fermzilla.
Will look into that.

Drinking the final beer now and it tastes great.
Dry hopping at colder temperatures really does seem to have improved the flavour extraction.
Citra/Nelson/Strata is a lovely combination.

I would post a picture but I didn't use any post fermentation fining agents so it's still quite hazy.
I planned on putting some gelatin in the keg but I have already drunk 1/3 to 1/2 of it and dont want to open the keg anymore.

My most recent modern west coast ipa. This has a Really beautiful hop profile. Drink nice clean and crisp. Would benefit from 10-20 ibus more

Grainbill
100% - Rahr 2 row
1.068 - 1.011
ABV: 7.4%

Hotside.
58 ibus
1:1 ratio citra/strata CGX

Dryhop
2:1 Freestyle Nelson/Strata CGX
IMG_0572.jpeg

My most recent modern west coast ipa. This has a Really beautiful hop profile. Drink nice clean and crisp. Would benefit from 10-20 ibus more

Grainbill
100% - Rahr 2 row
1.068 - 1.011

Hotside.
58 ibus

Dryhop
2:1 Freestyle Nelson/Strata CGX View attachment 835875
What an absolute beauty! How’d you do your hot side hopping?

Grainbill
100% - Rahr 2 row
1.068 - 1.011

Hotside.
58 ibus

Dryhop
Oh, great! Now another brew I have to put on the To Do list. <G>

Well done, Bro. Looks like the perfect tonic for dealing with hyped up youngsters during the Holidays. Just got back from a six week stay with our daughter and twin 7 year olds. How did I ever keep up when ours were that wonderful age?

Grainbill
100% - Rahr 2 row
1.068 - 1.011

Hotside.
58 ibus

Dryhop

This sounds fantastic! What temps and duration are you using for your dry hop? Do these change for WCIPA vs. NEIPA?

I believe I'm gonna put this style in the on deck circle after I brew a Czech pils. What are the current suggestions for dry hop rates? 1 to 2 oz per

I’m liking 2oz/gallon so far. But, so far, I’ve been interested in this new west coast ipa as a drier, cleaner alternative to a neipa.

Oh, great! Now another brew I have to put on the To Do list. <G>

Well done, Bro. Looks like the perfect tonic for dealing with hyped up youngsters during the Holidays. Just got back from a six week stay with our daughter and twin 7 year olds. How did I ever keep up when ours were that wonderful age?
HahHa we are definitely in the trenches right now.

I believe I'm gonna put this style in the on deck circle after I brew a Czech pils. What are the current suggestions for dry hop rates? 1 to 2 oz per gallon?
I whirlpooled at 1 oz/gallon and Dryhopped at just under 2 oz/gallon.

Then I used biofine in the keg (keg has a floating diptube) at a rate of 4ml/gallon

HahHa we are definitely in the trenches right now.
While we were at my daughter’s house, our son, daughter-in-law and their kids also showed up for a week over Thanksgiving. Six adults and 5 kids, ages 9 to two, all under one roof for more than a week.

I’m still exhausted 10 days later! Had a great get together nevertheless.

Grainbill
100% - Rahr 2 row
1.068 - 1.011

Hotside.
58 ibus

Dryhop
2:1 Freestyle Nelson/Strata CGX
Nicely done! Looks and sounds great.

I have a "sorta mostly dead" clone in a fermenter now and I can't wait for it to be finished. I'm loving these pilsner malt west coast ipas.

I really want to try a cold IPA and or west coast pils at some point as well.

I’m looking to brew this style next weekend. Are most of you using 34/70? If so are you pitching 1 or 2 packs? I’m targeting 1.065 OG.

As much as I love 34/70 - I prefer a Chico strain for these beers or at least I think it’s a better place to start. Take your pick for brand or format - I love easy dry yeasts like Cali, bry97, us 05 is fine.

34/70 might be my favorite yeast but it definitely brings a touch of sulfur that makes it more “lagery” that I donT like it as much in the 6-8% ipa range. Oddly I find Chico to be cleaner for hoppy beers!

I was considering 34/70 but I’m looking for a consensus on if Chico is preferred.
I think both are the appropriate call and both will ferment clean. If you go 34/70, definitely do 2 packs. To make sure you don’t have any issues with sulfur, pitch at 60*f and after 3 or 4 days of fermentation, bring it up to 65 for the rest of fermentation to clean up. If you go us05 (Chico)then 1 pack should be fine. Pitch 68 after 3 days bring to 72*f to finish out and clean up

I was very impressed with the performance of Bry 97 in my last west coast IPA.
The times I've done this style I have used BRY97 and been very happy with results. This is a bit of an odd style for me in that where I live I don't find many beers I would call "New West Coast IPA" and the couple I have found that feel like they fit the description haven't been very good. So I guess I will qualify my BRY-97 statement in that I don't know how it compares to other good versions of this style, but I've really enjoyed it.

I brewed one recently, in which I used Nottingham and fermented in the low 50s. It’s delicious and very clean.

Thanks for the input everyone. Seems like most are using Chico. I had 34/70 in my head for two reasons: highland Parks’s success but also a brewery near me (Sideward) was on the CBB podcast and said they use it on their flagship ipa. And that beer has an awesome hop expression. I had been scared to use bry97 after reading for years about long lag times and lackluster results but more recently I’m seeing more and more folks having success with it. So maybe I’ll give it a go! I used liquid yeast exclusively for probably five years but now that I have a kid and have been much busier, I’ve been digging dry.

I finally got some ALDC to try. I'm going to use US-05. I was planning to add some to my primary. I usually dry hop at like 40-45 with US-05 with no ALDC. Can I go up to 50-55 now and avoid diacetyl? Just looking for some practical advice from user experience.

I finally got some ALDC to try. I'm going to use US-05. I was planning to add some to my primary. I usually dry hop at like 40-45 with US-05 with no ALDC. Can I go up to 50-55 now and avoid diacetyl? Just looking for some practical advice from user experience.
I’ve us-05 should be pretty inactive in the lower 50s, so really should referment(hopcreep) so I wouldn’t expect you to experience any VDK.

That said, I’ve never had a diacetyl problem personal (honestly not sure how I avoided it early on). This is more of an overarching statement other than being directed to you but If you are consistently have diacetyl issues due to hopcreep,I would revisit process, especially since as hbers we have more control over keeping our packaged beer cold and cared for

I’ve us-05 should be pretty inactive in the lower 50s, so really should referment(hopcreep) so I wouldn’t expect you to experience any VDK.

That said, I’ve never had a diacetyl problem personal (honestly not sure how I avoided it early on). This is more of an overarching statement other than being directed to you but If you are consistently have diacetyl issues due to hopcreep,I would revisit process, especially since as hbers we have more control over keeping our packaged beer cold and cared for
based on my experience, diacetyl can be a problem if mashing on the higher side. i now mash lower and also add in an oz of dry hops at yeast pitch to help encourage any breakdown of remaining easily-accessible dextrins. i haven't had a problem since, but i would like to dry hop warmer and am a little nervous, hence the aldc. i'll give it a try

Used ALDC once so far, in west coast IPA. Once you've got it you use it. It wont harm, I didn't have any hop creep issues before but no regrets using it.
I also think omega just released their modified Chico strain that removed the vdk gene. I was thinking of giving that a try

I also think omega just released their modified Chico strain that removed the vdk gene. I was thinking of giving that a try
yeah, i was excited by those strains, but they're only probrew size pitches. if anyone gets some i'd love to get a slant of it.

@Dgallo
I'm prepping a Stone, Enjoy by 420 clone. Basing it off of Bertus Brewery's blog who calls for 2 dry hops of 1.5 Nelson and Galaxy each at each dry hop.

Would love your guys opinion on whether I should stick with the 2 dry hop schedule or use more current ideology and combine it into just one dry hop?

Plan on doing a cool crash and then transferring to a corny keg.

Equipment: 7g Fermonster with closed transfer gas and liquid ball lock posts.

https://www.bertusbrewery.com/2013/04/ipa-clone-series-stone-enjoy-by-ipa.html

Last edited:
After a couple of attempts, finally nailed something that represents the new west coast IPAs I've tried.

Grist: basically sorta mostly dead with Pils, carafa, and 5% Vienna only because I'm submitting this to a comp.
Hops: Simcoe/Nelson hot side, Simcoe/Mosaic cold side.
Flavor: Heaps of bitter grapefruit, lemon rind and juicyfruit gum somewhere in-between the mosaic dank notes.

Overall I'm very happy with how this came out and how explosive the grapefruit is on this one. Surprising amount of flavor for the low abv and the relatively low DH rate (1.8oz/gal or ~3.5lb/bbl). Surprised how flavorful it is for that low of DH rate. Also weird that it's still hazy even though it was clearer last week... Dip tube getting lower in the keg I guess.

Yeast: US-05
Water: 200:50 SO4:CaCl

Next time I'm going to ramp this up to 7-7.5% ABV and put my Freestyle Nelson to use.

20240228233005_IMG_5173 (1)~3.JPG

@secretlevel sounds fantastic! How did you hop this? I think the NPBC recipe is bittered w chinook (ibus?) and then just incognito in the WP? How did you treat that? I’d have a hard time not getting some t90 in the kettle. Is your 1.8 DH rate per the volume you dry hopped or volume into keg? I’ve been favoring 10-12oz Into the 6gal of fermenter so I get close to 5gal in the keg.

Last edited:
After a couple of attempts, finally nailed something that represents the new west coast IPAs I've tried.

Grist: basically sorta mostly dead with Pils, carafa, and 5% Vienna only because I'm submitting this to a comp.
Flavor: Heaps of bitter grapefruit, lemon rind and juicyfruit gum somewhere in-between the mosaic dank notes.

Overall I'm very happy with how this came out and how explosive the grapefruit is on this one. Surprising amount of flavor for the low abv and the relatively low DH rate (1.8oz/gal or ~3.5lb/bbl). Surprised how flavorful it is for that low of DH rate. Also weird that it's still hazy even though it was clearer last week... Dip tube getting lower in the keg I guess.

Next time I'm going to ramp this up to 7-7.5% ABV and put my Freestyle Nelson to use.

View attachment 842996
Looks great.
Nelson, vista, mosaic was my last modern WC ipa. It was 🔥

@secretlevel sounds fantastic! How did you hop this? I think the NPBC recipe is bittered w chinook (ibus?) and then just incognito in the WP? How did you treat that? I’d have a hard time not getting some t90 in the kettle. Is your 1.8 DH rate per the volume you dry hopped or volume into keg? I’ve been favoring 10-12oz Into the 6gal of fermenter so I get close to 5gal in the keg.
Great question. I did CTZ @ 60 min for about 67 IBU and didn't have any incognito so I went with 1oz/gal WP. For DH - that's the total fermenter volume before hops.

I'm definitely going to throw some Incognito in next time (prob Citra), I think Nelson isn't too big on survivables.

View attachment 842996
SWEEEEET! Looks fantastic and makes me want to have one. And I don’t even like hazies. Anxious to hear how it scores in the comp.

Can confirm this is super tasty, I was lucky enough to get a couple cans from @secretlevel. Loads and loads of rip grapefruit.

I also brewed the sorta mostly dead recipe recently, love this grain bill as a base for WC IPAs.

Back