Show us your cider in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 gallons in secondary. This will be a while before it's clear -

23286957590_51a05bbff6_z.jpg

Sorry about the pic, I do all kegged fermentation, clean and infection proof!

Keg on the left: Treetop Cider, Cider House Select yeast, started out at 1.044 OG with no added sugar.
Keg on the right: Treetop Cider, Safale S-04, started out at 1.044 OG with no added sugar.

1-P1050513.JPG

Just curious, how many psi before you call it done? I'm assuming you pasteurize in the bottles to stop the conditioning?

25 psi @ 70°F is 2.2 volumes of CO2, 30 psi is 2.5 vols. I'll let it go to 35 psi if I want really fizzy. Any more than 22 psi will create bottle busting pressures at 180° F, and that's less than what I like so I don't pasteurize. I just toss 'em in the fridge.

My attempt at thelema5s ginger cyser. Added 3 lbs honey and 3 lbs sugar to 6 gallons cider. Will add ginger to secondary. Using white labs wlp775 english cider yeast. I read this cider gives off a sulfur smell while fermenting, so I built an incubator out of an old smoker so I could do this in the garage.

SAM_0030.jpg

cider with mulling spices, brown sugar, and black tea i just secondaried. Then the new cider i pitched on the others cake. It has some other spiced cider mix in it, black tea, brown sugar, and threw 2 citra pellets in a boil of the tea and sices for 15 min. Have another gal im going to be putting in secondary in a few days, and racking some elder berries on it. That one is strait apple juce

WP_20151225_07_02_07_Pro.jpg

WP_20151225_07_02_21_Pro.jpg

here is a 13 month old sour cider. A little experement. About 10% ABV. It was brown sugar, black tea, some random spices from the cabinet (i do that alot) then set out in my shop and open fermented for a week. Held for another week, then secondaried for a month. Bottled dry, un carbed. Honestly at that point it was fing nasty. I almost dumped it. It had the white lambic crap you get from a sour beer, what i expected. Still was gross.
SWAMBO convinced me to bottle it anyway. Over the last year, it has been on my old houses plant shelf for a few months. Then in a storage unit for 4 months. During a record setting 100+ summer. Then in my 65* consistent basement, in my new home, for the rest of the time. Finally opened one a couple weeks ago. OMG its the best cider i have had. Slight sour taste. Very smooth, apple cider taste. I love the bit of tannin you get from the black tea, and it really fleshed out the flavors in it. Im so sad that i only got 4 gallons of it. I dont think i can ever replicate the whole process. But i still get to enjoy it for a bit. I have drank about a gallon of it already :D

WIN_20151226_20_41_51_Pro.jpg

That looks very yummy but just an observation, I don't think the corks will seal those bottles completely.
Thanks.

I worry they won't seal them completely, either lol.

I turned them upside down and they didn't leak so there is a seal but I guess there's still a chance of oxygen getting in.

I could put wax in there or crown cap them but I might just risk it.

My first attempt. The first picture is the cider and yeast warming up before pitching the yeast. The second picture is the carboy in a big bucket incase there is an overflow or anything, but it's fermenting! :tank:

I wanted to use Safale 04 as the yeast, but the LHBS was out of it so I thought I would give Nottingham a shot... Never used it before!

First_Cider_1.jpg
First_Cider_2.jpg

That's some good Krausen
I was goons say too much headspace but it looks like you judged it correctly.

It's a new 3 gallon carboy I purchased for small experimental batches. I purchased 2.5 gallons of cider from the apple farm figuring I would leave about a half a gallon of space for the krausen. Then my girls saw the cider I purchased and wanted some to drink, so I only used 2.25 gallons instead of using all 2.5 gallons.

Note to self, always buy extra cider for the kids. LOL

Back