Show us your cider in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first cider, done fermenting racked into the secondary to clear:
reG8LXU.jpg

View attachment 332352
Fresh blend. 2/3 my 9% hard cider + 1/3 warm fresh cider.

Did you just add the warm cider to the fermented batch and bottle or keg it? If you bottled was that enough sugars for it to carbonate? Sorry for the newbie questions, I have my first batch fermenting for only 6 days right now.

Did you just add the warm cider to the fermented batch and bottle or keg it? If you bottled was that enough sugars for it to carbonate? Sorry for the newbie questions, I have my first batch fermenting for only 6 days right now.

It was a bottle of cider I kegged, carbed and bottled back in the summer. Today I heated up some fresh cider and mixed the two in the glass.

The latest batch of cider racked after cold crashing. OG of 1.051, FG of 1.012. Just juice, pectic enzyme, and Nottingham yeast. Fermented at about 62 degrees ambient.

WQxwB2L.jpg

The first picture is my cider before pitching the yeast (nottingham) on 1/17/16. The second picture is the cider on 2/28/16 just before I racked it over to a secondary. From here it has been in my garage to cold crash and bottle this weekend (or maybe some evening this week). I believe I will keep half of the batch still (not carbonated) and the other half I will carbonate with a carbonation drop. I would like to have a nice baseline of cider to see how it turns out without adding anything to it. It will probably be on the dry side, but that is ok.

OG - 1.048
FG - 1.000
ABV - 6.30% (based on Brewers Friend iOS app)
Ingredients - 2.25 gallons of apple cider from the apple orchard and Nottingham Yeast (Dry).

First_Cider_1.jpg

Cider_2-28-16_FG1.000.jpg

That's a lot of headspace...

Is that a problem? It looks like it has been used for primary fermentation so the headspace should be full of mostly C02. If he was long term aging in that carboy it could be an issue.

Is that a problem? It looks like it has been used for primary fermentation so the headspace should be full of mostly C02. If he was long term aging in that carboy it could be an issue.

Yes that was the primary. The stopper & airlock was never removed while the cider fermented. I transferred it to a smaller fermenter to cold crash it and will bottle tomorrow.

Glass is my half black cherry half Apple juice little bit yeasty, but is incredibly dry.

The jugs is my new one. 3 lbs of honey filled with Apple juice. Honey didn't mix well so I had to do it a few times eventually got it though. And yes I put the air lock in the cup of sanitizer

IMG_20160413_214045.jpg

IMG_20160413_173408.jpg

IMG_20160413_172606.jpg

From Left to right. Cider with a lb of honey in it, then dry hopped cider with about .25 oz homegrown cascade hops, then plain cider, then cider with hop tea from the same cascade hops. A few things to try. And it all started as a 4 gallon batch I split up after initial fermentation in primary with safcider yeast

View attachment 1472682674097.jpg

Apple/Pumpkin cider
Unicorn's Blood cider
Classic hard cider with black tea.

Green and red apples foraged for cider-making. I've already smashed the red ones into a pulp with a cured willow branch and i'm going to shred the green ones in a food-blender. They're crawling with small gnat-like flies which I don't think are fruit flies.

image.jpg

So I started by picking wild blackberry, elderberry, and wild black cherry. I started a ferment with a red wine yeast to get a big fruit flavor profile. After a week in the primary I killed off the yeast...( very pleasant tasting thus far fruity and light alcohol) two gallon after racking off.

I then added to the carboy two gallons of sweet cider and pitched a champagne yeast as I am looking for a sweet on the front but dry finish. I'll take it all the way out no back sweetened. Also, added 2 ounces of heavy toasted oak. I'm currently in the third week and it is lovely. I am tasting weekly to keep an eye on the progress. I'm hoping it drops sediment better and clears out. Has anyone tried this over adding the fruit to the secondary? I will have a 9-11% by the and looking to bottle age with a little and View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474920505.158581.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1474920532.581193.jpgpriming to get my carbonation.

I just racked some cider to my keg and have a couple gallons left. This was orchard cider with 71B done last Christmas so it's been aging for about 9 months. 0.996 FG before sweetening. Delicious. And ain't it pretty?

29292651144_b798441c7a_z.jpg

46 gallons pressed from a large variety of local apples and it was waaaaaay more work than I though it would be! Most ciders were blended by taste but some left un-blended to see how they differ.

Mostly used Lalavin D47 yeast as I had good luck with it last year. One cider with 71B for something different and one with Safale S-04 for a quick turn-around cider.

I also added 1 lb/gal honey to a couple to make cyser which should end up around 12% abv and 1 lb/gal berries to a couple others.

Lastly, I brewed 2.5 gallons of non-hopped barley wine with chopped figs added for an OG of ~1.090. This will be blended with a cider or two to make a graff. Totally experimental!

20161005_064737.jpg

This is my latest batch started Oct 2.

5gal "everyday simple cider" -store apple juice (cheapest stuff i can find 88 cents/Liter)
5gal "pappys pub cider" -store apple juice
1gal store bought cider+white sugar
1gal store bought cider+white/brown sugar

The two 1 gal jugs are test recipes for applejack to compare to my last batch which had all dark brown sugar.

Apple cider 2.5 gallons of pressed apple juice and 2.5 gallons of cider. Pitched yeast on 10/15/2016

Last edited by a moderator:
They said check back after Nov. 1st. Hope I don't miss it as they don't send notices.

Some cider aging, the rest of it destined for applejack. I have realized I don't really like dry cider. I would rather back sweeten a crappy applejack (35%) instead of dilute down a crappy dry cider (5%).

Cider looks like this after two months. Did not clear up at all, even though I added some pectic enzyme. What's the white stuff on top? Infected? Also, any ideas why it did not clear up?

IMG_5910.jpg

Back