Best names for your beer batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently have an Irish red Ale on tap, which I've brewed many times. The first time I brewed it I hadn't yet named it and a co-worker came in to work with his hand all bandaged. Seems he had a mishap with a hacksaw. In my mind I thought about the life of a hacksaw, being made to wear down it's teeth on metal, and finally had a chance to sink its teeth on some soft flesh.

Hacksaw Revenge
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/what-are-you-drinking-now.221302/post-10368473

I am the world record holder for the worst name giver guy in the universe. I literally have beer names for my house beers like "Beer drink", "Amber Bamber", "Mmmm, beer", and "Cluster f**k". The last one is a Cluster S.M.a.S.H and I can't even take credit for the name.

I need this whole AI thing to get into the homebrew sector and start naming beers for me.

I find it hard to nane a beer if I've only ever made it once. No judgment if that's your thing, you do you.

The problem is that I rarely brew the same beer twice. The one exception is that I'm trying to dial in a house ale in the APA range. I have found that I really like Simcoe hops so I always feature them and add in different ones each time. Currently I have Simcoe and Citra in the fermenter.

I also like to keep things simple so I decided to go the name *Keep it Simcoe*

There may be a professional beer out there already with this name but I don't care.

SpaceX Amber and Raptor Red brewed during a Starship launch

Power Outage Porter, brew day was interrupted when the power went out. Actually had to clear the brewery area for our safe spot from a tornado. Luckily only a few branches down, power restored the next day and I continued my brew.

During early days of the pandemic I made a beer with ingredients I had on hand. I called it 2020 Lockdown Double IPA. It turned out really well and I have put into rotation.

Another that has made it into the do it again list is a strong, hoppy brown ale, Double Brown Trouble. It is based on a scaled down version of Briess’ Good Humans. I think I did the math wrong when I scaled it down as it turns out 8-9% depending on my efficiency that day. I like the end result a lot. I do switch the hops up some.

During early days of the pandemic I made a beer with ingredients I had on hand. I called it 2020 Lockdown Double IPA.
Around the same time, I made a 10.6% barleywine called "F**k 2020".
I retained a couple of bottles until late 2021 but both of them had turned to vinegar. To this day, the only thing I've ever managed to infect.

Most of my recent beers have been cosmic horror themed in their names.
My personal favourite name was "Eldritch Resonance", an 8.5% hazy DIPA with Amarillo, Azacca and Motueka.

A couple years ago I brewed an ipa and after racking to the fermenter I used magnets to suspend a mesh bag of hops above the wort. As I was replacing the fermenter lid the magnets gave out, which forced me to have to do another dry hop later in the process. The beer turned out ok, not great, and I named it Splashdown ipa.

When visiting local taprooms/breweries, I always look at beer names and wonder how they came up with them. Some are pretty obvious, others are not. The names can be funny or punny, but rarely embarrassing. However, I would be too embarrassed to name my beers anything of the sorts.

Idle Robot
Regular Sized Rudy
You'll Never Drink Alone
Banquet Boy
Calmer Than You Are
Gorilla Blood
Boots on a Zebra

During early days of the pandemic I made a beer with ingredients I had on hand. I called it 2020 Lockdown Double IPA. It turned out really well and I have put into rotation.

Another that has made it into the do it again list is a strong, hoppy brown ale, Double Brown Trouble. It is based on a scaled down version of Briess’ Good Humans. I think I did the math wrong when I scaled it down as it turns out 8-9% depending on my efficiency that day. I like the end result a lot. I do switch the hops up some.
When I get low on my grains before a big fat order more!!! .... I always make a "leftovers" batch. A pound of Vienna, Munich, some 2 row, a little of this and some of that ... Contemplating taste profiles and making it work. My "what I got left" lager, or IPA, pale ale, etc ... So far, so good. All the batches were very good to excellent. Last batch was what I got left IPA... on Tap #4 of 6

Beer list from a party I had a while back...

The beers...
Duvel (Flemish translation of devil), is a tasty abbey-style golden
strong ale from Belgium. Belgian abbeys are notoriously difficult
and it takes lots of Sympathy for the Devil for the homebrewer to
do this style well. I'm proud enough of this one to call it Davel,
and usually brew it while listening to Mick and the boys [1].

Lorraine Blonde from Martinique, named after the original homeland
of the brewer, is my favorite Caribbean lager. It has a bit more
color and is spicier than the style suggests, which makes it unique
among island brews. I've always liked the song What's Up by the
4 Non Blondes [2]. Since this beer's color is decidedly non-blonde,
I call it Haut-de-forme Lager after the top hat Linda Perry wears
in the What's Up music video.

The final beer on offer is what I would call a premium Vienna Lager.
The grain bill is 99% Vienna malt, with the strength a bit higher
than the usual style. My name for this beer develops from the fact
that Vienna was the original destination of the Orient Express train
out of Paris back in 1883. I call this one Mystery Train, a perfect
sipper while listening to the Legion of Mary [3].

References
[1]
[2]
[3]

I typically only name beers for events and of course competition entries.
Bouncing 5oz Sinkers was a Wee Heavy (the name is a flounder fishing reference)
We’ll Never Be Royals, wheat wine.
We Are Not Men, We Are Pivo! Grodziskie
Russia Is Not Borg. “Ukrainian” Porter with beet root

I’ve made some pretty mundane, or even more mundane depending on your perspective too.

Last edited:
HellenbackBock. 30 years ago or so, deep Wisconsin winter, got a wild hair and decided around midnight to go outside on my converted 3-kegster brewing system, "Ugly Betty I," to do a triple decoction helles bock. After lauter wouldn't clear after something like an hour or more, driving me nuts (we're well into early morning), thought to check my lauter screen and indeed it had become dislodged. Scooped mash out, reset screen, recirc'ed 45 minutes or so again, proceeded. Didn't finish until well next day, with temps ranging -10F.

Month or so lautering later, best lager I'd ever done (I hadn't done many at that point, but I do recall still that it rocked). My wife gave it its name - literally, a hell and back bock. :)

Several years ago I made a strong very tasty IPA, kind of a clone of Swamp Head Big Nose IPA. My neighbor who is a hop head loved it and drank several on my back screened in lanai. When he got up to go home he walked towards the screen door but instead walked right into the screen next to the door. He laughed and corrected himself and then walked out the screen door. To this day my son still askes me if I am making "Screen Walker" IPA!

John

I suck at names but a few I have stuck with is from a Chinese tale called The Seven Sages of the Bamboo Groove. They were philosophers, writers and poets and evididentaly they were alcohol fueled.
So I have Seven Sages Pale Ale and Bamboo Grove Gold. I still brew an old school Pale Ale, Chinook and Casade and yes I still use Crystal. Therefore it is called "The Professor"

Most of mine have a theological bent since that's my day job (theology teacher). But when I make something truly experimental it's under the "**** Sh*w" or "What in the Name..."label. I had the perfect pictures from the zoo for it, also.
**** Show 2020.jpg
What in the Name_Hopped Muscat.jpg

After last night's massive storms that rolled through I think maybe my third batch should be named Windy Wheat!

Last night we huddled up in the basement brewery, our storm safe spot, listening to the beer ferment. An almost calming affect to a tense evening.

All better this morning; lots of branches down but luckily no damage.

Latest posts

Back