Rose water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
Rose water:

I dont know if you are aware, but some middle eastern stores sell a heavily scented rose water and orange blossom water.

Have any of you guys here tried to use it in a brew?

I of course will add it post boil/cooled wort as not to boil off the essence; but i was thinking of a orange blossom scented brew without the dry taste that comes from adding too much honey to achieve the "blossom" aroma.

Any aroma additions, especially those without sugar to convert, need to be added after fermentation is complete. I would add the rose or orange water to my bottling bucket with my priming sugar.

I brewed a wit with orange blossom water a few months back. I added about 14 tbsp to a roughly 5 gallon batch during bottling.
The taste/aroma mellows out during the bottle conditioning process making it quite nice though if I ever do it again I'll probably add one less tbsp.

As a side note though, Rose water (of course depending on where you get it) tends to be slightly stronger in aroma than orange blossom water so maybe use a little less.
The best course of action would be adding to taste, before bottling, one tbsp at a time.

Rose water:

I dont know if you are aware, but some middle eastern stores sell a heavily scented rose water and orange blossom water.

Have any of you guys here tried to use it in a brew?

I of course will add it post boil/cooled wort as not to boil off the essence; but i was thinking of a orange blossom scented brew without the dry taste that comes from adding too much honey to achieve the "blossom" aroma.

Resurrecting an old post: did you ever do this? I was thinking about making a Rose Wheat, and was really curious to see what you discovered. I was originally thinking about adding quite a bit, so I was surprised to see how little some users suggested using.

What did you find?

I used rosewater a year or two ago in a grapefruit wheat and had to go extremely light with it (post boil, in the bottling bucket). Did tests with a dropper and a measured amount of a similar beer...1 drop wasn't quite enough, but 2 was too much for me and my tasting subjects. Ended up with (if I remember correctly, don't have my notes handy) about 1/8 of a teaspoon for a 5 gallon batch. I thought it was good, but others thought it was a little too much. Neat part about it was that no one could definitively say, "That's rose water in there!". They could all tell that there was *something* different, but couldn't place it.

Back