Birch sap hop water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divrack

Reaction score
I recently tapped a few trees for the first time, something I've wanted to do for a while as I'm into foraging and it always seemed like a cool thing to do. My intention was to boil it down to syrup but I realised I was getting a hell of a lot of liquid from the 8 trees i tapped plus the first buckets that were a couple days old looked to be going a bit cloudy which i interpreted as starting to fermented, so i of course turned my mind to brewing. First off I thought this might be the perfect base for a pilsner, as I would expect some lacto in there, and I still am planning on trying this, however being pressed for time and having decided to cut back on my habitual alcoholism due to expanding waistline I thought, f it, I'll finally get round to trying hop water but with 100 percent birch sap. This was yesterday morning, literally just kegged it threw in 120g hops in a bag pressurised to 50 bubbling through the dip, went away, and came back in the evening and I had to double check I'd not mixed up my beer keg with the hop water as it looked like this.View attachment IMG_20240317_171554_600.jpg
One of the best heads ever on this bad boy, powerful bitter IPA flavour with a fair lot of astringency that continued for a couple pints before settling to normal hop water clearness and bright hoppy clean flavour, slight residual sweetness like a very dry beer, but still nice creamy head

It's fing awesome, I can't believe I seem to be the first person I can find on the internet to have some this

Latest posts

Back