Modelo especial clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tderanleau

Reaction score
Trying to make a modelo especial clone, so as of now this is what my recipe looks like (which I have not brewed yet)

1.044 SG
1.011 FG
ABV 4.4
18.6 IBU
3.6 SRM

53.2% Pilsner malt (Weyermann)
20.7% vienna malt (Weyermann)
23.6% flaked corn
2.5% Melanoiden malt (Weyermann)

Mash at 152°

60 minute boil

.19 oz each of Hallertau mittelfrueh and galena at 60 min

.15 oz galena at 20 min
.25 oz Hallertau mittelfrueh at 20 min

Wlp940 yeast

And yes I know, modelo most likely doesn’t use galena I just threw it in the recipe for fun because corona uses it.

The Melanoiden malt is just for added color, but my main question is will it add a significant amount of flavor and will I be better off switching it out for Caravienne malt? The modelo states it has a orange blossom honey aroma, and melanoiden malt has a bit of honey flavor in it.. not too sure about caravienne though but I saw another recipe that used that for added color and said he was close. Pretty sure it was @RCCOLA

With Melanoiden malt 2% is noticable and 10% is quite strong. I think the Vienna is more than is enough here. Modelo Especial is not very malty.
Another guy had about the same amount of caravienne in place of Melanoiden, how much maltier is Melanoiden to caravienne? Isn’t much of a color difference between the two

Back