Recent Experience with Dell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
So SWMBO ordered a new laptop from one of the Dell kiosks back on July 28th. They esitmated a week or so to ship. Well, that time rolled around and it was still in "Pre-Production."

So they called her and said that it was going to be delayed 14days. She calls them, they apologize and offer free next business day shipping.

14 days later still no movement from "Pre-Production" She calls them, looks like it is going to be delayed again. Can't do anything. She gets the automated call asking her to accept the delay (required by the FTC).

Finally last week it was built but took forever to make it back to America. It was in Nasheville Friday and she got the ship confirmation from DHL. But, instead of shipping overnight like they said it was designated "Ground." Called Dell "Oh sorry that was changed past its modification date," they offer $20 off "As a gesture of good will."

Over the weekend the expected ship date changed from the 14th to the 10th. I was able to stay home today until she got home to sign for it....nothing. The software she ordered at the same time was delivered today though by DHL. Was the computer not on the same truck?

Needless to say we are kind of pissed off at Dell. Every time she called or chatted online she was assured that it would ship on time and the reason it was being delayed was the video card, processor, screen (take your pick). And everytime she spoke to a supervisor she was treated like crap as if she was wasting their time calling to see why her laptop was being delayed for over a month.

Personally I think the promise of overnight shipping was offered to save the order and they had no intention of fulfilling that promise. Of course they charge you before they send you the ship confirmation. That constitutes wire fraud IMO. We are planning a letter or e-mail to Michael Dell, I have actually heard of people doing this and an assistant replied and took care of the problem. Oh and the last time she called she asked for his e-mail and was refused, it is published online.

OK, long rant over.

Yeah, Dell has been taking some huge hits, they have had troubles sourcing components all summer. Sorry to hear that you got caught in that mess

I'd like to join the Dell rant.

I ordered two laptops from them to the tune of $3000. When ordering I was told I could buy a license for Microsoft Office that was good for up to three systems. I got a quote for just one system and it had the $150 cost of the software. When they billed my credit card they billed me $150 for each system.

I wrote them and told them of their error and they replied that the software is only good for one machine, 'Thanks for Shopping at Dell.'

I replied that that was not the agreement, and I would like it rectified.

They replied that the software is only good for one machine, 'Thanks for Shopping at Dell.'

I replied that they have until Thursday to rectify the situation by a)keeping their word and refunding the extra $150 to my credit card or b)Refund the entire $300 dollars and I would return their software or c) refund the entire purchase price and come get your computers. You have until Thursday and then I reverse the entire charge on my credit card and they can pick up your computers.

They replied that the software is only good for one machine, 'Thanks for Shopping at Dell.' :drunk:

I replied, 'It's Friday. You have until Thursday.'

They replied that the software is only good for one machine, 'Thanks for Shopping at Dell.'

I replied, It's Monday. You have until Thursday.'

I replied, 'It's Tuesday. You have until Thursday.'

They replied, 'We have credited your card $150. Thanks for Shopping at Dell.'

Deal is a deal. As far as I'm concerned, it would have been within my rights to renogiate after they broke the original agreement. I thought I was quite reasonable given their moronic replies to my emails. I wasn't going to blink. Had they not refunded the money, I would certainly have followed through. They need me more than I need them. Train your salespeople better.

I've heard a lot of bad things about Dell recently. They are having trouble sourcing parts, they are having quality issues, and everything got delayed around back to school time. If they weren't the only place I could still get XP I would go with someone else myself.

The guy that sold us the laptop at the kiosk was really good. He gave us a special discount code that saved us some money (wasn't supposed to use unless the purchase was over $1600). He also advised us that if you buy Office separately (same price) you get 3 licenses but if it comes installed it only good on that machine. We also got the % off on the software as ordered separately but wouldn't have if bought bundled with the computer.

I love Dell Computers and have bought many of them over the years. Each time I have needed service I had to email upper managment and it got handled promptly. The last time was waiting for my $100 rebate for a few months. Each time I called or checked online, I got the run around.

I finally looked up who was VP of sales, operations, etc. I then sent an email to these people along with Michael Dell trying several naming conventions for the emaila address such as

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

And so on.

Several bounced, but some got through. I had a check overnighted to me in one day.

Poop rolls down hill.

I think you have 7-14 days to return the laptop once you recieve it. Call them and speak with a manager about returning your system because you were promised overnight shipping.

And under no circumstances accept anything less than what you want. They will do just about anything in their power to keep you from returning that laptop. Use that to your advantage and make sure you get what you feel is fair compensation.

If not return it, and buy from someone else. And I hate to say it but Best Buy and Circuit City have had some great deals on Core 2 Duo laptops below $700 for the last couple of months.

Beerrific said:
He also advised us that if you buy Office separately (same price) you get 3 licenses but if it comes installed it only good on that machine.

Mine was not pre-installed. I expected one disk good for three installations but they sent me two disks. Each disk is supposedly good for just one installation but I accidentally installed one disk on both laptops and registered them both. Microsoft didn't kick it back. I recently rebuilt my system and installed the other one so now I'm all legal.

haha.. my best friend works at Dell, in the laptop division. You prolly didnt talk to him.. but I will pass along the comments..

aekdbbop said:
haha.. my best friend works at Dell, in the laptop division. You prolly didnt talk to him.. but I will pass along the comments..

Not unless he lives in Bombay.

HarvInSTL said:
I think you have 7-14 days to return the laptop once you recieve it. Call them and speak with a manager about returning your system because you were promised overnight shipping.

And under no circumstances accept anything less than what you want. They will do just about anything in their power to keep you from returning that laptop. Use that to your advantage and make sure you get what you feel is fair compensation.

If not return it, and buy from someone else. And I hate to say it but Best Buy and Circuit City have had some great deals on Core 2 Duo laptops below $700 for the last couple of months.

She really wants/needs the laptop. She works in an imaging lab and has to do a lot of MRI data processing so there are certain things she needs in the computer that the ones at retail stores don't have.

It is not like we paid for the overnight shipping (or shipping at all). Just the whole situation was handled very poorly by Dell. Honestly, I don't know what they could do right now to convince me to ever buy from them again or recommended them to friends.

This was the same thing that killed Gateway a few years ago, and it is killing their successor, Dell, now. They're simply getting too big for their britches.

I almost had her convinced to go to the mall and pick up (that day!) a new MacBook and join me on the other side, but she wouldn't do it.

Dell used to be the best. Great service that you didn't need because they made kick-ass machines. no longer, everything is outsourced, they're too expensive and instead of making only top-of-the-line machines, they put out little crap at a lower (but still relatively expensive price.)

meh, i'm over it. i have a dell-laptop (which was the absolute best of it's time and now serves as a wonderful media player hooked up to my tv), but with my recent purchase of a dell desktop, i'm dissapointed...

limited upgrade capabilities + bad service + more money than i want to spend = FTMFL

I own all Dell products and KNOCK ON WOOD have yet to have a bad experience.

I work with a LOT of Dell machines at work. I guess I don't have to deal with the customer service side of things very much, I just go onsite to fix specific problems. I absolutely love how quickly I can navigate to the drivers page specific to the particular Dell system I happen to be working on at the time. They package many updates such as BIOS revisions as Windows installer executables that simply require a reboot afterward, whereas I used to have to find a floppy disk, completely overwrite it and boot off it to perform such an update. Their diagnostic utilities are specific to the hardware installed in that particular model, and give a very definite answer as to whether the hardware is malfunctioning or not.

Of course my favorable attitude of Dell is based on the technical specifics of their products. I fully acknowledge that the whole customer experience must be evaluated when choosing a brand to go with.

I am resp for ordering all computer hardware at work (1 of several hats)

7 years ago, I was able to get a great deal from Dell on our new lab computers, and was really pleased...

Then, the new secretary buys a Dell over the phone, it arrives, but has XPhome, not XP Pro. She calls...since it is a dimension, she is on hold for 20 mins...the voice from India says he will overnight a new hard drive.

She is so happy to hear the news. She tells me, and it sounds pretty good to me as well.

The next day, a small box arives - yes, an actual hard drive (not the Dimension) arrives.

The woman knows nothing about computers, so she calls tech support. They say they will walk he through installing the new hards drive...

She hung up.

I called our Dell sales rep, and cancelled the school's account.

Could you imagine getting a new car with the wrong tires, and then have the dealer drop off 4 of the right sized tires ??

I will never buy Dell (but I DO accept donated Dells)

Back