Southern Homebrew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Not at the point of %^^&^%## yet, and I hope it's all a non-issue, but some flags are starting to pop up and I'm wondering if anyone else has feedback good or bad on Southern Homebrewing.

Placed an order for 10 lbs Warminster malt and payment immediately processed, with order auto-confirmation sent quickly thereafter on the 6th. Haven't heard anything since, and a couple of e-mails have gone unanswered. We'll be leaving for out of town and given what I've read about since ordering of long lag times, I merely wanted to get a sense of shipping eta in case I needed to have a friend available for picking up the malt should it arrive while out of town. Again, no replies.

Their Yelp reputation, as I read just now, is very poor, 1.5/5. Multiple comments along the lines of:
Has this business closed??
Placed an order almost 6/22/23. It is 8/10 & order status remains "Awaiting Fulfillment ". Called at the end of June & promised it will be shipped at the first of July. Sent e-mail, Instagram msg, 4 phone calls-all have gone unanswered. The phone mailbox is now full.

I am not seeking instant gratification on an order, just trying to get a sense for planning purposes. But to be truthful, yes, I'm afraid I like some others may have been burned and am loathe to take next steps if compelled.

Anyone?

ps: Doesn't give a ton of confidence that when calling today their message says the office will be closed "until the Tuesday after thanksgiving."

Last edited:
I don't like doing this to any company, but unfortunately I feel it's necessary in this case. Despite multiple attempts at communication, nothing from vendor and the more I read, the more I have to feel this company is not in good practice - tons of complaints about taking money immediately and a month or more goes by without any shipment or communication, despite several attempts by many, many buyers - though in at least a couple instances, on getting an order finally cancelled, reposts of e-mails sent from owner to buyer with extremely vulgar and expletive-filled e-mails (can't verify, of course, but it seems telling to me anyway). That, and several complaining of moths and weevils in their grain, with the owner claiming "all grain has them," and angrily refusing to honor any return.

I have filed a claim through the cc company, though I'm loathe to do any of this. Cannot recommend.

Don't be loathe to stand up for your consumer rights. You did the right thing contacting your cc. It's sad people have to be their own advocates, but it's necessary sometimes and nobody else will do it. If Southern Homebrew is taking customers' money, not filling orders and not responding, could be fraud. Best case it's very poor business practices on their part. Worst case, a way for them to get a little cash grab before they fold up their tent and disappear into the ether.

Home brew stores are closing up left and right. This could be just one more.

Edit: Looks like you are not alone with troubles from Southern Homebrew.

Don't be loathe to stand up for your consumer rights. You did the right thing contacting your cc. It's sad people have to be their own advocates, but it's necessary sometimes and nobody else will do it. If Southern Homebrew is taking customers' money, not filling orders and not responding, could be fraud. Best case it's very poor business practices on their part. Worst case, a way for them to get a little cash grab before they fold up their tent and disappear into the ether.

Home brew stores are closing up left and right. This could be just one more.

Edit: Looks like you are not alone with troubles from Southern Homebrew.
Ugh. I should have done my due diligence. Can't believe it. I think you're right - looking back to some comments here and elsewhere, this has been their practice since at least 2014. CC company credited it back to me. Good riddance.

You could try patronizing homebrew shop owners with long established reputations.
I normally do, Bobby, including quite a bit from you when I was building my Spike system. I was looking for Warminster and they popped up. Dumb of me to not do my due diligence.

FWIW, NB and Label Peelers carry Warminster. I've always had good service from those vendors.
Thanks Max. I did see Label Peelers but didn't know about them - good to know. Much appreciated.

Edit: Just picked up some Warminster from LP's. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Well, for what it's worth, malt was ordered from LP just a few hours ago and it's already been shipped out. Night and day. Thanks again Max. 👍

Lol, or not so lol, after over a month with no contact despite repeated attempts on my part (including, after a long while without any response, the request to cancel the order), I just got an e-mail that they charged my credit card and sent the order. Based on other reviews, I'm sure they got the charge thing down, not hopeful I'll ever see the product.

Awesome, now I have to go through the cc company to seek a reversal.

Unless they gave you a tracking number, they didn't really "send the order." Get your reversal. Thank you for posting this story. It serves as a good warning for others to think twice before doing business with Southern Homebrew.

Latest posts

Back