Northern Brewer - Buyer Beware

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I order from MoreBeer quite often. I've never received an order in less than six days. I can live with that, but I wouldn't call it super fast.
I get orders from MB usually w/i 2 days: order Monday, on the doorstep by Wednesday afternoon. Of course, I’m only 70 miles from their Pittsburg, PA., warehouse. So there’s that.

In a way it kinda sucks though, since it’s easier to order from MoreBeer than to go across town to my LHBS, and I know the retail side of their business has to be feeling the downturn. Fortunately they are closely aligned with a number of local breweries, and that business keeps them in the black.

Really? I think their warehouse is in Pittsburgh, CA which I thought was less than an hour from SF?
I could not remember, just remember it was somewhere in California. You are right, according to their website, but for some reason I thought it was Modesto or Turlock. Either way, two to three days and I usually have my stuff. Not bad.

I just checked, with no traffic it is a little over an hour. And in California, no traffic is not normal. LOL

Even with 20% off, their prices are still high.

The only time I ordered from them in the recent past was when they use to do their 3 for $60 kits sales, but now they only on that for extract brews.
I need to get some of those $20 extract kits whenever they go on sale. (they still do that, right?) I'm an all-grain brewer but I only get to brew a few times a year. Extract kits would allow me to sneak a few extras in. Thanks for the reminder.

I need to get some of those $20 extract kits whenever they go on sale. (they still do that, right?) I'm an all-grain brewer but I only get to brew a few times a year. Extract kits would allow me to sneak a few extras in. Thanks for the reminder.
I honestly don't know. I do not pay attention to any of their “deals” anymore.

I get orders from MB usually w/i 2 days: order Monday, on the doorstep by Wednesday afternoon. Of course, I’m only 70 miles from their Pittsburg, PA., warehouse. So there’s that.
Just FWIW, I placed a small MoreBeer order on Monday. It shipped today. This is typical for me, maybe even a day quicker than usual. So I'm not sure how anybody gets their stuff delivered in two days no matter how close to a warehouse they might be.

Just FWIW, I placed a small MoreBeer order on Monday. It shipped today. This is typical for me, maybe even a day quicker than usual. So I'm not sure how anybody gets their stuff delivered in two days no matter how close to a warehouse they might be.
I usually get my MoreBeer orders quite fast as long as the the entire order comes from CA. It obviously takes longer when they have to split the order between warehouses.

I just went back and checked my most recent order which was grains for an imperial stout, plus some miscellaneous hardware. I placed the order on Monday February 19th at 9:54 am, and received an email later that same day at 3:10 pm letting me know my order shipped. The order was at my front door on Tuesday February 20th at 11:13 am. It shipped free using standard shipping via GLS since the order was in excess of $59.
While that's quicker than usual I still don't think I've ever waited longer than 3 or 4 days, order to delivery.

I order from MoreBeer quite often. I've never received an order in less than six days. I can live with that, but I wouldn't call it super fast.

That's weird. I'm in TN, so I may get my orders from MB in 4-5 days. Not super fast like you say, but neither is Amazon Prime if that makes you feel better.

I've thought about letting my Prime account expire.

Just adding a Northern Brewer purchase data point. Ordered two IPA kits on a deal (combined $69 for the two kits) on February 28th. Got confirmation of the order and then nothing until March 5th when I got notice the shipping label was created. Two days later and the box arrived in good shape and with everything correct with the order. 8 days total turnaround from Minnesota to Ohio does seem a bit long but I am not angry. Not planning to brew until next Saturday anyway.

So if you need a quick turnaround for a brew this weekend just know you may need to stick with someone like MoreBeer. If you have time to wait and can take advantage of the sales (hard to beat all the ingredients for 2 IPA's for less than $35 each including dry yeast) then I don't see any reason not to go with Northern Brewer. Just my experience. YMMV.

Only issues I've ever had with Morebeer/Northern Brewer or any of the big guys is on the shipping side. Not their fault, but FedEx/UPS issues.

Morebeer always stepped up and made it right even when it wasn't their fault.

Last edited:
Morebeer always stepped up and made it right even when it wasn't their fault.
Back in the late 2010s, I had back-to-back orders from MoreBeer that were damaged in shipping. They made it right.

Out of respect for their time/profit and my time, I reluctantly decided to not order from them for a long, long time due to those shipping problems.

Recently (2024), I ordered from them - and shipping (so far) has not been a problem.

They have a new (2024) customer and I have a new (2024) supplier.

Have you looked for a LHBS within a reasonable driving distance?
I have a LHBS within about 20 minutes drive. I visit there often and do purchase from them. But it isn't always the most convenient to drive that way and when I do have a few minutes free, I would rather be brewing than driving to get supplies. I am all for supporting local but I have no qualms buying from the big dogs online if the price is right and convenient.

FInally got my order from Northern Brewer.

I ordered 3 different varieties of hops (1-oz pellets), 16 oz in all. The alpha acid % was not listed on any packets. While I can ball-park the flavor & aroma additions with those intended for that purpose, the magnum hops meant for bittering is a different story. Wasted money there.

That will be my last order to them.

I ordered 3 different varieties of hops (1-oz pellets), 16 oz in all. The alpha acid % was not listed on any packets. While I can ball-park the flavor & aroma additions with those intended for that purpose, the magnum hops meant for bittering is a different story. Wasted money there.
I know they don't put actual AA% on their website (it's inexcusably LAZY, and also why I'd never buy hops online from them)... But the hops packets they sent didn't have that information either?!? That's up there in "dispute the charges" territory...

Well, let me post my recent experience. I ordered some items from both More Beer and Northern Brewer. From More Beer, I ordered a Fermonster and some parts so I could have a floating diptube. I placed that order on 3/16. Two days later it shipped on the 18th and I received it on the 21st. So 5 days total.

On the same day as the More Beer order (3/16), I placed an order for a couple of beer kits from Northern. I didn't get an email confirmation that the order shipped until the 26th. I received it on the 28th. One of the beer kits was left out, so after contacting their customer service, they promptly sent out the other beer kit. That kit arrived on 4/5. So, 12 days total for that order or if you count the forgotten kit, 20 days for the completed order to arrive. 8 days for them to ship the forgotten beer kit.

So, would I still order from NB? Yes and no. If it's something exclusive they have and no rush, sure. They botched this recent order, but they did (eventually) make it right. The late order didn't mess up my brew day since I didn't have one planned. The biggest issue with them is the long lag time between order placement and shipping confirmation. I don't like that. Once I got the shipping confirmation email, the package arrived two days later.

This isn't meant to be a pile on post. I'm just sharing my recent experience. I don't think they have become shady, but there's some room for improvement when it comes to communicating with the customer, especially when your competitors can offer you better prices and faster shipping.

FInally got my order from Northern Brewer.

That will be my last order to them.

I have some left over Czech Saaz hops I bought from them in April 2023. They have the AA listed (3.5%) in smaller print, right above the bar code.

Back