Really long fermentation for an ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey, I've pitched two different yeasts in double batch I did 3 weeks ago. I was able to keg and even drink the one I pitched Nottingham in. Its cleared out well, and tastes awesome. The other I pitched a washed/reused Wyeast American Ale I took from a previous batch, and its still cloudy and seems to be slowly bubbling 3 weeks later. Did I massively under pitch? I got the starter going a day before I pitched w/ 1.033 SG wort from a previous batch. It seemed very good, and it kicked off pretty nicely initially, krausening up to the top just like the notty did... but it slowed down faster than the notty did, and seems to just be bubbling slowly along... ideas?

OG? Current SG? I had slow bubbling in a batch long after fermentation had stopped (1.006 FG.) It was just CO2 in solution dropping out of solution at that point. When I measured 3 days in a row and SG hadn't changed, I estimated fermentation was complete enough to bottle.

Oh I know that technique, but I'm more concerned about the fact that its not remotely close to clearing out at all yet, its still REALLY cloudy, and the other one fermented right next to it for the 3 weeks its been fermenting... I'm definitely going to be patient. I still have an ESB and the other Pale Ale on tap :). I guess I'll pop the bung and take a SG reading and see where its at, I always avoid it if I can, until I'm sure its started settling out etc.

You could use some gelatin from the store to clear it if fermentation's complete and you don't plan to secondary.

ahh, so sometimes the ale just stays really really cloudy thick, and never clears? I mean this is like super cloudy... like all my ales seem to look in major fermentation phase. Not a little cloudy like some can look even after chilling before drinking...?

Back