Raleigh Grain Buy - Phase II

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man... brewing-related is consuming my time this week. Ordered and received a pound of hops, ordered and should be receiving $150 worth of stuff from AHS, talking with a welder about some stuff I need done, finished all electrical work on the soon-to-be-launched HERMS, taking delivery of all this grain.... I'm thinking about brewing Sunday night, too.

I swear, I actually do have a job.... I just can't remember where I left it right now.

Just to double check.

You are the man! Thanks again to Dallas!

I'm getting three sacks of grain, and I just got 6lbs of pellet hops from HopsDirect.

There's nothing in my kegerator, and the wife & kids are out of town all of next week. I anticipate LOTS of brewing and LOTS of drinking!!

You are the man! Thanks again to Dallas!

I'm getting three sacks of grain, and I just got 6lbs of pellet hops from HopsDirect.

There's nothing in my kegerator, and the wife & kids are out of town all of next week. I anticipate LOTS of brewing and LOTS of drinking!!

Damn... I hope you have a lot of buckets/carboys!

I got the grain. As I was loading it on the trailer, I had 2 bags that did not match the loading slip. Coincidentally, I was two bags shy of CM-Pale. I called CM and explained what happened. They could not locate the lot number that was on the bags. The bags are marked as 2-row, but with a different lot number than the other 17 bags of CM-row. There is a very high probability that this is the missing CM-pale, just mislabled bags. They are just marked with a black marking pen. Nontheless, Jeanette, at CM is willing to fedex out replacements on Monday if requested. That is between you and her. Or she offered to discount those bags. How much, she didn't say. If you want to do that, I'll call her Monday, ask for the refund, and when it posts to my cc, I'll refund to you via paypal. Or you can just say **** it, and I'll give you your money back tomorrow. In my opinion there is very little difference in pale malt and 2-row, but that is what you ordered, so that is what you expected. I'm sorry for this mix-up, but it was completely out of my hands. You can let me know what to do tomorrow. Idaho, I'm weighing Barc's and my vienna out of the bag, so I'll just bring you what's left in the bag if that's ok.

Scott and I were the only ones with the CM-Pale. I just talked to him and we're fine with keeping the mis-marked bags. Be they 2-row or Pale it doesn't really matter. The only reason we got them was to see if we could tell a difference (the Pale cost all of 55 cents more per bag). So no worries. ReelAle, feel free to pull 1/4 of that bag of 15L for yourself if you want it (tonight/tomorrow doesn't matter).

Scott and I were the only ones with the CM-Pale. I just talked to him and we're fine with keeping the mis-marked bags. Be they 2-row or Pale it doesn't really matter. The only reason we got them was to see if we could tell a difference (the Pale cost all of 55 cents more per bag).).

If that's ok with you, that's ok with me. Again, sorry for the mix-up.

So no worries. ReelAle, feel free to pull 1/4 of that bag of 15L for yourself if you want it (tonight/tomorrow doesn't matter).

Sweet. I'll bring a scale and a bucket tomorrow. Thanks man.

Great! Just got in from business and this is welcome news!

Somebody better bring the spreadsheet with them. With all the picking up of other people's stuff, this might get confusing

All I know is that the sack of Gambrinus is mine. :D

Dallas: it looks like I WILL be able to make it there. SWMBO said, "Go, but be back by 10am." I live only 15 minutes away from the drop zone, so I should be good.

Walker, want me to pick you up? I'll have my laptop with the spreadsheet and all of this post on it in different tabs in order to try and keep things straight.

Thanks, but with the strict orders to be back by 10 (Garron has a soccer game at 10:30) it's probably best if I am responsible for my own transportation.

I'll have your camera, grain, whirlfloc, hops, and sissy-boy cheese kit with me.

kirbster and basisforaday: I have your grain. gotta run to soccer now. We'll sort out pickup/delivery of it later.

Howie I have yours, will bring it to work on Monday.

Thanks again to ReelAle, was great to meet a fellow Idahoan :rockin:

It was my pleasure to help out my fellow homebrewers. And it was good to finally meet all of my imaginary friends in person. Happy brewing all.

This timed out really well for me. I'm brewing tonight so I pulled all of the grain I need out of the freezer last night. That leaves me with only 1 pound remaining from the sack I bought in January.

basisforaday picked up his stuff yesterday evening. Sorry for not being a better host... was trying to get dinner around for the kids. Normally I would have offered you (meaning, "forced you to drink") a beer.

Kirbster is coming tonight to get his while I'm brewing.

Thanks again Walker for picking up my grain. We'll have to get up for a drink or two sometime, share some brews. Always good to meet people.

Thanks again Walker for picking up my grain. We'll have to get up for a drink or two sometime, share some brews. Always good to meet people.

Isn't there some sorta shin-dig at Dal's sometime soon? That might be yet another excus... er.... REASON for a drink.

Not yet. I've still got 30# which should get me through the 3 or 4 batches. I'll probably be out of it in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Ok.. so 2.5 months ago you had 165+55 = 220 pounds of grain. You have 90 left, meaning that you have gone through 130lbs in the same time that I went through 25lbs. This is not even accounting for the grain that Dallas has gone through... this is just your stash.

Yet... Dallas insisted to me that you guys brew no more than I do.

Either your efficiency SUCKS ASS and you use 40lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch (you do BIAB, right?:D) , or Dallas is in denial.

Well,

Please don't lump me in with that Brew-Slacker Dallas. :)

The extra 55LB was almost full, say 45LB or so, but I shared that bag with Dave (Spanky).

I know I have brewed at least the following since I got the bulk grains. A very rough grain bill estimate as I don't feel like looking it all up right now. These brews have all been made with the 210LB of grains (165 + 45).

5G Pilsner 10LB
5G Lite 7LB
5G IIPA 18LB
5G Balantine XXX 7LB
10G EdWorts Pale Ale 16LB (split with Dave)
5G CYBI Levitation Clone 9LB (split with Dave)
10G Blue Moon 9LB (split with Dave)
10G ESB 20LB (split with Dallas)
1.5 Burned Porter 2LB
5G Second Runnings of Levitation/Bluemoon 2LB additional
So 100 LB or so?

That still leaves 110LB so I must be off on either my guesstimate of how much malt I have left or missed a beer or 2.

I'm guessing I brew more than you? I have also been brewing like crazy since I got my MLT and no longer have to BIAB.

eh...

I forgot Dave, Chris, and I used that 45LB bag to brew the Ruination and Burning river at the April Brew-N-Que, so there is another 20 LBs gone there.

If all of this chatter is designed to get me to bite for the next go-round, fuhgetaboutit! Well, maybe. But even if I don't head it up, I'm in for a couple of bags. I owe Barc about a 1/2 bag as it is. I've got a few batches worth left.

You owe me BEER! I don't want malt! :D Anyway, it wasn't anything less than any of us would have done in the same situation. Well, accept Skee... He's not cool like that.

When is the next Grabass event? I'm in need of a weekend. I gotta host something sometime now that I have a house again.

The tripel is "lagering" now. I hope that helps it, because it tasted like diesel last I checked. It's HOT. But I've got more, different ones that I think will be absolutely fine. We have GOT to set a date to draw a couple pints.

Yup, sounds like a plan. You should come on up to a Grabass event. If nothing else, you can sample some folks' beer and get a laugh or 2. I really need to drop off a few brews by your office or something to keep you tided over until the tripel gets better.

I made a tripel and it took about 6 months to really mellow out enough to call drinkable. It is about 2 years old now and pretty good.

On the grain front, I'm still swimming in grain. I bought 80lb of oats a few days ago. Oats, not oat malt, so I've got to figure out what to do with those, as well! :)

On the grain front, I'm still swimming in grain. I bought 80lb of oats a few days ago. Oats, not oat malt, so I've got to figure out what to do with those, as well! :)

Well, knowing you you'll buy some animals, feed them the oats, milk them, and then use that milk along with some of your wild house yeast and brew a belgian tripel imperial milk stout or something like that.

And c'mon Reelale, from the sounds of things, you did a great job with the last one!!!

But serioulsy, another GRABASS event is definitely in order soon!

Well, knowing you you'll buy some animals, feed them the oats, milk them, and then use that milk along with some of your wild house yeast and brew a belgian tripel imperial milk stout or something like that.

You mean I'd slaughter them for their blood and make blood beer, right? Using wine yeast?! And don't knock the house yeast. You're drinking it now, aren't you?! But, a little more seriously (only a little), I had planned on making a saison this weekend using some of those oats in a cereal mash along with some home-malted brown rice.

But serioulsy, another GRABASS event is definitely in order soon!

Agreed. I'm hoping to get "settled" sometime soon so hopefully I can host something. Until then, we should plan something else at Dallas' place and not tell him.... Just show up with brewing rigs and beer and crash the place... at midnight... on a Tuesday. :rockin: Or Walker's place. Or Boston's. Or yours... No, wait...

But serioulsy, I really enjoy the company of other men and Turkish prisons are a real turn-on. Is that wrong?

I'll leave that one alone.

Hey, just moved to Raleigh from Texas and found this thread. Looks like the homebrew scene is alive and well. I totally want to get on board a bulk grain buy next time you have one. Would be great to do a big brew-day too. Brew on!

Hey, just moved to Raleigh from Texas and found this thread. Looks like the homebrew scene is alive and well. I totally want to get on board a bulk grain buy next time you have one. Would be great to do a big brew-day too. Brew on!

Keep your eye open for posts with "GRABASS" in the title.

That's our very unofficial brewing club.

Greater Raleigh Area Brewers And Suds Sippers

We've had some pretty awesome gatherings this year so far.

Back