Picnic Tap 2.1 vs. Nukatap Mini

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoodTruble

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Kegland recently posted in a thread about the Picnic Tap 2.1, looking for any volunteers to compare the Picnic Tap 2.1 and Nukatap Mini (both being new, compact direct-to-keg taps). I was one of the lucky volunteers who already had the Picnic Tap 2.1 (tap and bottle-filler versions), and Kegland sent me the Nukatap Mini to compare. Just to be clear, I got the Nukatap Mini for free, but all Kegland asked was that I post my thoughts about how the two products compare (and maybe include some photos and/or videos).

So I finally got the chance to compare both Picnic Tap 2.1 models and the Nukatap Mini today. Here are some pictures and thoughts (and unsolicited suggestions)...

First, I want to express sincere gratitude to both companies for coming up with innovative products to address this niche need for homebrewing/beer dispensing. A lot of homebrewers on this site have exchanged DIY suggestions on how to rig up compact, direct-from-leg taps (often with varying levels of success/faults). Both of these products offer better solutions compared to the traditional picnic tap and the DIY solutions I have seen (though of those DIY suggestions @Beermeister32's was the best).

TLDR - I have been waiting/searching for good direct-from-keg tap options, and now both of these products are available and provide good options.

I am splitting the review up into several posts in order to avoid losing the whole thing if the page refreshes. (Please wait until after the Picnic Tap 2.1 Bottle-Filler post before posting a response........).

Last edited:
General Thoughts:

First, both products work. They both dispense beer from a compact, direct-to-keg tap that has an acceptably minimal amount of foam. I liked the Nukatap Mini better (explained below), but the Picnic Tap 2.1 still works and offers a great value at current prices of $18-$25.

Comparing the two (or three, including the Picnic Tap 2.1 bottle-filler version) visually and in-hand, you quickly note the Nukatap Mini is sturdier and built from more quality materials. But it also costs more. Though I didn't find U.S pricing posted anywhere, I am guessing it will be $50-$60, just roughly comparing Kegland-Australia site prices to the costs of the same products in the U.S.

Also, the Picnic Tap 2.1 comes with everything you need included. The Nukatap Mini tap-only will need its custom shank assembly and a duotight ball lock disconnect (the estimated costs of which I included in my totally made-up guess of $50-$60).

Here is a photo just to give a visual of how the products look side-by-side:

IMG_2235.jpeg

On top is the Nukatap Mini (with duotight flow-control disconnect). Second is the Picnic Tap 2.1 (with regular duotight disconnect). And third is the Picnic Tap 2.1 bottle-filler version (which came with the screw-on disconnect (and the bottle-filler attachment is not shown in this photo, but will be shown/discussed further below)).

....just lost half this post to a page refresh, and so I will split the rest of General Thoughts into a second post.......

Attachments

• IMG_2235.jpeg
    IMG_2235.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
General Thoughts, Part 2:

The Nukatap Mini looks and feels just like it sounds - a mini version of a forward-pulling Nukatap. I'm sure the internal technical components are different, but it operates just as you would expect (and when paired with the flow-control disconnect, it actually provides a little bit more control than a standard flow control tap, in my experience).

The Picnic Tap 2.1 is almost entirely plastic, and opens/closes with a twisting knob on top. The resistance/foam control is provided by innovative internal components (including the "screw" piece seen in the photos) and other techno-magic. In order to have a fair comparison, I briefly attempted to connect the Picnic Tap 2.1 to the duotight flow-control disconnect, but discovered the Picnic Tap 2.1 stem was too large (maybe Picnic Tap 2.1 uses 9.5 mm, and the flow-control disconnect is more standard 8 mm (?) (EDIT: I just checked and PT2.1 indeed uses 9.5 mm disconnects)). Regardless, because it didn't fit, today's review/comparison used the regular duotight disconnect that the Picnic Tap 2.1 shipped with (but I am curious to see how the Picnic Tap 2.1 would work with the flow-control disconnect and that is something I plan to investigate further later).

The Picnic Tap 2.1 bottle-filler (PT2.1BF) is very similar to the original. Mine came with an old-school screw on disconnect, but I suspect forthcoming models will also probably switch to duotight. At the end of the tap, there is a screw on connector with a line for bottle/growler filling (shown in more detail below).

As you will see in the photos that follow, the Nukatap Mini provides a greater level of control over flow and foam, and it certainly seems like it will be more durable in the long run. If I were using the compact tap for a long-term kegging solution (such as just storing kegs inside a refrigerator indefinitely rather than getting a Kegerator or Keezer), I would use the Nukatap Mini. However, the Picnic Tap 2.1 still has a place as a cheaper but still reliable option (especially for events/occasions where you don't want to have to worry about people breaking your dispensing equipment, such as parties, camping, the beach, or other gatherings - sort of like traditional picnic tap occasions). Also, I have not been able to find (yet) a bottle-filler attachment for the Nukatap Mini. Though I am sure it either already exists (and I am just missing it) or it will be available shortly (because the Nukatap Mini has a screw off tip that would allow for other attachments to easily be connected, just like regular size Nukataps).

Last edited:
Comparison/Test:

I have been woefully short on time lately, and so to get this comparison/test done today, I combine it with pouring my traditional Red Ale for today's Chiefs' game (good game, Jacksonville).

I used a pre-carbed PET keg, charged to 20 psi and chilled to 38 Fahrenheit:

IMG_2227.jpeg

I poured 1 pint, or near-pint, using each tap/dispenser. I did not recharge the CO2 because of time constraints and because I didn't think 3 pints would change the pressure all that much anyway.

Based on advice from posters in the previous Picnic Tap 2.1 thread, I pre-chilled the Picnic Tap 2.1 (both models) to 32 Fahrenheit. Allegedly, the Picnic Tap 2.1 ships with instructions telling you to pre-chill the tap (and to not over-tighten the knob). Neither of my models arrived with those instructions, but I confirmed with previous usage that pre-chilling does, indeed improve the foam control. (I did not pre-chill the Nukatap Mini).

Attachments

• IMG_2226.jpeg
    IMG_2226.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nukatap Mini;

The Nukatap Mini can connect to a regular duotight disconnect or a flow-control duotight disconnect. As shown in KegLand's YouTube video, the regular disconnect allows you to twist the tap 360° to whatever angle you need. I was tempted to do that here given the irregular angles for the PET keg (the flow-control disconnect has an extra tab that holds the tap in place, providing more stability but less flexibility). But I was pleasantly surprised to find that the Nukatap Mini actually dispensed just fine even when installed sideways, which was great because it allowed me to experiment with the flow-control disconnect. (- Though I would caution everyone to make very sure the tap handle is fully in the off position before attaching. Mine was not, and I had a brief free-pour out onto the table. One potential product suggestion is to have a line on the tap and along the handle that align when the handle is in the full off position. =c) ).

Here are the photos :

IMG_2206.jpeg
IMG_2210.jpeg
IMG_2213.jpeg
IMG_2218.jpeg
IMG_2222.jpeg
IMG_2224.jpeg

Using the flow-control disconnect, I had a level of control over the flow and foam that was even better than the flow-control taps on my kegerator. I slowly poured 3/4 of the pint with only the thinnest layer of foam on top and then actually increased the flow rate near the end in order to increase the amount of foam on top.

Despite the early snafu, using the tap handle could not have been simpler, and I was very impressed with the overall quality of the pour.

Though I did not leave the Nukatap Mini in place after the pour (because I was then testing the other taps), I wouldn't hesitate to leave it on a keg inside a fridge. It felt secure and leak-proof.

Last edited:
Picnic Tap 2.1:

The Picnic Tap 2.1 worked well overall but with less overall flow and foam control.

Here are the pictures:

IMG_2194.jpeg
IMG_2197.jpeg
IMG_2203.jpeg
IMG_2204.jpeg
IMG_2205.jpeg

The twisting knob offers a bit of control over flow rate but that flow rate in turn does not seem to increase or decrease the level of foam, resulting in a final amount of foam was more than desirable but mostly acceptable. Again, I would be interested in using the Picnic Tap 2.1 with a flow-control disconnect. I suspect that would improve the flow control and foam.

Also, other people posting on the Picnic Tab 2.1 thread did not encounter this same problem, but when I turned the control knob all the way off, my tap began to slowly leak through the knob. This was not a big problem, and oddly, slightly loosening the knob corrected the problem. Here is a short video showing the issue:

It sounds like I am in the minority of users that had this problem. It may have been from me over-tightening the knob (again, some users received instructions warning not to do that, but I did not). Regardless, the tap seems secure and did not leak if I loosened it just slightly. But I don't think I would trust this tap on a keg inside a fridge unmonitored.

Last edited:
Picnic Tap 2.1 Bottle-Filler:

The Picnic Tap 2.1 bottle-filler (PT2.1BF) is a product I was very excited about when other posters on this forum told me about it. A simple, direct-to-keg bottle-filler is something I have very much been searching for. I usually brew more than 1 keg per batch and bottle the rest. But I am yet to find a bottle filler/counter-pressure bottle filler I like.
So while imperfect, the PT2.1BF is the most convenient option I have found for bottling carbed beer. I know others have used counter-pressure bottle fillers just fine. That sadly has not been my experience.

I used the PT2.1BF before and so below are a mix or photos from bottling straight off a cold-crashed Fermzilla All-Rounder (further down) and using the PT2.1BF just to pour a pint a today......

IMG_2236.jpeg
IMG_2238.jpeg
IMG_2242.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

Mostly, the PT2.1BF performs just like the PT2.1. I again would be curious to pair it with a flow-control disconnect. And I very much think they need to improve the screw-on mechanism attaching the tubing piece to the tap. It is currently 2-3 tiny threads barely imprinted onto the nipple. It works for now, but it seems like it will fail at any second. Luckily, it seems like any easy fix (compared the technical challenges they already conquered). But overall, it fills bottles from carbed vessels well-enough and is my favorite option for that task for now (so, tip of cap). If you "cap on foam" anyway, it allows you fill bottles respectably well....

IMG_1348.jpeg
IMG_1354.jpeg
IMG_1353.jpeg

Thanks for reading. And thanks for holding off on comments until I got all these posts up.

Attachments

• IMG_2246.jpeg
    IMG_2246.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Oh yeah, one more thing I neglected to mention. One additional thing the Picnic Tab 2.1 does brilliantly is the screw off mechanism to remove the tube from the duotight disconnect.

IMG_2235.jpeg

That is the same photo from above, but I included the ordinary duotight disconnect tool that you use to depress the white tab in order to remove the tube from the disconnect (black tool on right side).

The Picnic Tap 2.1 has a silver tab section that unscrews toward the disconnect that then applies the necessary pressure to remove the tube without needing the extra tool. Super-clever. Here are some photos that hopefully demonstrate this function ....

IMG_2228.jpeg
IMG_2229.jpeg
IMG_2231.jpeg
IMG_2232.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for the Review GoodTruble. Really appreciate the in depth review and the photos too.

I should say that if you wanted to get the Nukatap Mini auto close spring this is part number KL32216 and if you insert this into the bore of the tap it will automatically close the tap when you let go of the handle. This may save you any accidents such as connecting the disconnect onto the keg with the tap still open. It's couple dollars for this spring so it's not expensive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the Review GoodTruble. Really appreciate the in dept review and the photos too.

I should say that if you wanted to get the Nukatap Mini auto close spring this is part number KL32216 and if you insert this into the bore of the tap it will automatically close the tap when you let go of the handle. This may save you any accidents such as connecting the disconnect onto the keg with the tap still open. It's couple dollars for this spring so it's not expensive.

Thanks. I have managed to not need the auto-close spring on my kegerator taps, but since I messed up with the Nukatap Mini immediately, probably a good suggestion.

Thank you for the review but one glaring omission – The Pluto Gun (KL00956)
This coupled with a with duotight flow-control disconnect (if you want the ultimate in flow control) will give the flexibility that neither Nukatap/Picnic tap can offer.
I connect mine to a short (approx. 2 ft) of line and serve direct from the fridge.

Is there a bottle or growler filler attachment for the Nukatap Mini already?

The nukatap mini already uses the MFL 1/4 thread so many home brew connectors already exist. For instance if you wanted to make a growler filler you can unscrew the spout and just screw on one of these fittings:
https://www.kegland.com.au/products...le-x-ffl-female-thread-to-fit-mfl-disconnects
or one of these
https://www.kegland.com.au/products...-mfl-disconnects?_pos=8&_psq=mfl&_ss=e&_v=1.0
or even one of these:
https://www.kegland.com.au/products...hread-disconnect?_pos=1&_psq=mfl&_ss=e&_v=1.0
then you can attach some hose just to go from this part to the bottom of your growler to reduce foaming.

This coupled with a with duotight flow-control disconnect (if you want the ultimate in flow control) will give the flexibility that neither Nukatap/Picnic tap can offer.
I connect mine to a short (approx. 2 ft) of line and serve direct from the fridge.
The pluto gun and the Nukatap mini both need external flow control, right? The picnic tap 2.1 has its own internal flow control mechanism. Also, I serve direct from the fridge with my picnic taps. I guess one man's "flexibility" is another man's "where the hell do I put this thing when I'm not actually pouring from it?"

The pluto gun and the Nukatap mini both need external flow control, right? The picnic tap 2.1 has its own internal fl mechanism. Also, I serve direct from the fridge with my picnic taps. I guess one man's "flexibility" is another man's "where the hell do I put this thing when I'm not actually pouring from it?"
Sorry incorrect with the Pluto Gun - it can work the same if connected to an ordinary disconnect as it has It's own flow control on the 'trigger'
I use low control disconnect as that was the only one I had spare at the time

Yes the Pluto gun and the Nukatap Mini will either require beer line with length/ID to suit the required level of flow resistance you are trying to achieve.

Alternatively if you are not using beer line then you will require the FC ball lock disconnect which is external to there taps.

As all FC devices to create some turbulence it's worth noting that the further up stream you put the flow control device the more head pressure you have at the FC device so it's preferable if you use an FC device for that FC devices to be closer to the keg as less foam will be generated which is why the FC ball lock disconnect exists.

You can certainly put an FC device right on the tap but no head pressure exists so typically these will cause more foaming in the glass.

I still don’t see how these are comparable. The flow control as said before is integrated in the picnictap 2.1. And the set up or equip involved iis much cheaper. Also. when you took the picnic tap 2.1 out of the fridge to demonstrate you are warming it up. The one flaw with the picnic table 2.1 I guess is that it has to be ice cold . if you had poured that from an ice cold picnic 2.1 u would have had a perfect head. My 2.1 pours perfectly every time as long as it’s in the fridge cold. i don’t know if this is fair comparison Because these are essentially different products . But great pics and honest review. Thanks for the comparison.

I didn’t know Pluto gun had flow control but Pluto needs beer lines which these products don’t require

I still don’t see how these are comparable. The flow control as said before is integrated in the picnictap 2.1. And the set up or equip involved iis much cheaper. Also. when you took the picnic tap 2.1 out of the fridge to demonstrate you are warming it up. The one flaw with the picnic table 2.1 I guess is that it has to be ice cold . if you had poured that from an ice cold picnic 2.1 u would have had a perfect head. My 2.1 pours perfectly every time as long as it’s in the fridge cold. i don’t know if this is fair comparison Because these are essentially different products . But great pics and honest review. Thanks for the comparison.

I didn’t know Pluto gun had flow control but Pluto needs beer lines which these products don’t require

Fair enough, but if you can't take the PT 2.1 out of the fridge, that really limits its uses (and it means they REALLY need to post and include those instructions/limits).

But I will try another pour with the PT 2.1 inside the fridge and post photos. Hopefully get to that tonight.

I could also try the Nukatap Mini with a regular disconnect instead of the flow control disconnect, but I do not see the point. The flow control disconnect is readily available, and they work great when paired together. I suspect the the PT 2.1 would also work great when paired with the flow control disconnect, but I'm not sure there's one available that fits its current configuration.

The one flaw with the picnic table 2.1 I guess is that it has to be ice cold
Which I guess might be an issue if you want to stick a keg in a cooler and take it to an outdoor event. Like maybe a picnic? 🤔 Although I have put a couple of minikegs with picnic tap 2.1's on them in a cooler on my back porch and gotten nice pours all day, it is a little tricky to get everything arranged so that the tap is where you can get a glass under it while keeping the keg well-iced.

Fair enough, but if you can't take the PT 2.1 out of the fridge, that really limits its uses (and it means they REALLY need to post and include those instructions/limits).
I am a bit baffled as to why some people report not getting an instruction sheet with theirs. But it's just a little 6 inch square piece of paper printed on both sides, so maybe it's easy to lose? Like I mentioned, I have taken them out of the fridge for several hours and not had foaming issues, but they were very well-chilled first.
I could also try the Nukatap Mini with a regular disconnect instead of the flow control disconnect, but I do not see the point.
Agreed.
I suspect the the PT 2.1 would also work great when paired with the flow control disconnect
My guess is that doubling up on the turbulence might lead to really slow pours.

Yeah, I haven't used a pluto gun. I have been looking for something more compact that attaches directly to the keg without needing a tube/line. To me, the pluto gun just didn't do much more than a regular picnic tap (at least for my needs).

I am a bit baffled as to why some people report not getting an instruction sheet with theirs.

-Maybe because they're not getting the instructions? Here is the only paper that came with my PT2.1.....

IMG_2265.jpeg

(There is nothing on the back).

And when I received the PT2.1B-F, it came with no instructions at all.

Maybe because they're not getting the instructions?
Sorry, I meant that's what's baffling. Do they put the instructions in the box only when the mood is right?

OTOH, I didn't get the instructions for disassembling that you posted, but maybe that's because mine are the standard QD version?

I've posted this in another thread, but just in case it's helpful to anyone...

1695130163017.jpeg1695130219882.jpeg

The nukatap mini already uses the MFL 1/4 thread so many home brew connectors already exist. For instance if you wanted to make a growler filler you can unscrew the spout and just screw on one of these fittings:
https://www.kegland.com.au/products...le-x-ffl-female-thread-to-fit-mfl-disconnects
or one of these
https://www.kegland.com.au/products...-mfl-disconnects?_pos=8&_psq=mfl&_ss=e&_v=1.0
or even one of these:
https://www.kegland.com.au/products...hread-disconnect?_pos=1&_psq=mfl&_ss=e&_v=1.0
then you can attach some hose just to go from this part to the bottom of your growler to reduce foaming.
Thank you!

I actually have several of those duotight-to-female thread connectors, but did not realize they would fit the Nukatap Mini. I will try to rig up a bottle-filler this weekend from the Nukatap Mini (to package some beer for the Chiefs-Bears tailgate party).

And when I received the PT2.1B-F, it came with no instructions at all.
Mine came with these, plus the regular instruction sheet for the tap.

1695156175793.jpeg1695156285536.jpeg
I recently used it to bottle an entire 5 gallon keg of chocolate milk stout. It's really not intended for that, but it actually wasn't too bad. Got a bit too much foam on the last few bottles, probably because things were starting to warm up.

Mine came with these, plus the regular instruction sheet for the tap.

View attachment 829608View attachment 829609
I recently used it to bottle an entire 5 gallon keg of chocolate milk stout. It's really not intended for that, but it actually wasn't too bad. Got a bit too much foam on the last few bottles, probably because things were starting to warm up.

Actually, I take that back. I still had the box for the PT2.1BF in my cellar. And it did have both those papers/sets of instructions. At that point, I had already gotten the info from other posters on the PT2.1 thread, so I just didn't remember seeing/reading it. My first PT2.1 still only had the sheet I posted above, but the second one had the pages you posted as well.

So it was suggested that by taking the PT2.1 out of the fridge for my comparison, I allowed it to warm up and that prevented it from performing optimally (in my earlier comparison, the PT2.1 was out of the fridge about 2 minutes before I did the pour).

So I tried the PT2.1 again tonight but attached to a keg inside my kegerator. To be clear, I chilled the PT2.1 inside a 33 F fridge for 5 hours and then immediately put on a keg in the 34 F kegerator (so it was outside for about 15 seconds).

I'm sorry to report the pour was actually a bit worse. Maybe there is just something wrong with my PT2.1. It immediately began leaking again, and this time I could not get it stop by twisting the knob (-the keg was charged to 15 PSI). And the pour was pretty foamy.

Below are videos of the leak before the pour, the pour itself (as much of it as I could get while needing the same hand to turn the knob and pickup my phone), the leak post-pour, and then a pic of the final pour......

IMG_2270.jpeg

Seems like they are having some quality control issues, unfortunately. I have four PT2.1s and have never had a leak. I don't have any beers on tap right now, but this is a pic from back in May. Poured straight into the bottom the glass because I wanted to see what kind of head I could get out of this particular brew (it was a Brut IPA at 40F and 12 PSI if anyone cares).
1695231740123.jpeg

Lol!
Yes, the epoxy mixing sticks thing actually worked - I used them to tune my 6 tap keezer instead of using appropriate line lengths x diameter. Once I did that I abandoned the sticks. Still have at least a half dozen unused...

Cheers!

well now knowing where to source those things everyone can just build their own rigs. all you need is a piece of tubing with enough ID to fit some of the spiral. QD to duotight, then tubing with spiral, then whatever you can get to fit on the end, hopefully a simple picnic tap. or worst case another duotight piece to transition to your picnic tap now that they make them with insert ends instead of barbs.

done.

im not sure i'd want to leave it in the diptube, feel like it'd get pretty crusty. easier i'd guess to just add it to the tap.

EDIT: @mac_1103 nice find.

Last edited:
While the Nuka Mini looks cool and all, I do like the form factor of the Picnic 2.1. In the door of my fridge, I'm afraid I wouldn't have the height clearence need for the Nuka's handle. Likewise, I'd get the Nuka's handle bumped accidentally if I had to swivel it sideways.

Too bad the 2.1 has leak issues.

Lucky for me mine don't.

But seriously, one of the nicest features is the twist tap. You cannot accidentally pour beer by bumping it.
+1 on the picnic tap not having leak issues. I have several of them and no leaks. If you do have a leak I'd recommend reaching out to Trong who is the owner / manufacturer to report a QC issue. He's a great dude and I'm sure would look into it and make right.

He also makes the spundit which is an amazing spunding valve. And he makes the flotit which is far and away the best floating dip tube for the fermzilla

The flow control compatibility on the nuka tap seems awesome though

Last edited:
Lol!
Yes, the epoxy mixing sticks thing actually worked - I used them to tune my 6 tap keezer instead of using appropriate line lengths x diameter. Once I did that I abandoned the sticks. Still have at least a half dozen unused...

Cheers!
Ha. Thanks for reposting. That is kinda similar to the PT2.1 insert. Interesting idea.

Last edited:
As a quick follow-up, last Sunday I tried using the Nukatap Mini with a tube screwed on as a bottle filler. It worked wonderfully.

I was again bottling some of the same Red Ale, this time to take a couple of bottles to Arrowhead for the Chiefs-Bears game (yes, the "Taylor Swift" game, and yes, we saw her/took a photo).

Here are some pics:

IMG_2329.jpeg
IMG_2330.jpeg
IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2343.jpeg

IMG_2352.jpeg

I also took a 35 second video but that is too large apparently.

The foam control was perfect, and it maintained a good level of carbonation in the bottle. I often bottle at least one plastic bottle in each batch in order to easily monitor the carbonation level, and I bottled these in plastic in order just recycle at the game (my glass liter bottles are flip tops I like to keep/re-use). I only wound up drinking one the bottles. The second one is still in my fridge and still feels fully carbonated. I will drink it during tomorrow night's game and will update.

But this will be my go-to method for bottling carbonated beer going forward. Much simpler/easier than my counterpressure bottle filler and much more consistent results. Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_2329.jpeg
    IMG_2329.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2330.jpeg
    IMG_2330.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2352.jpeg
    IMG_2352.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Back