Questions about March Pumps answered by the Factory!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Walter do you know of any part distributors in the Tampa Bay area? Every where I look it's $12-14 shipping for a .60 part.

Thanks,
Brett

Only one that comes to mind is Depco out of Clearwater. Give them a call and ask for George H. He may or may not have one in stock but they buy stuff all the time so maybe they can include it with an upcoming shipment? Or give me a call sometime and i can give you the specs/sizes of it and maybe you can locate one or make one for yourself.

-Walter

WalterAtMarchPump said:
Only one that comes to mind is Depco out of Clearwater. Give them a call and ask for George H. He may or may not have one in stock but they buy stuff all the time so maybe they can include it with an upcoming shipment? Or give me a call sometime and i can give you the specs/sizes of it and maybe you can locate one or make one for yourself.

-Walter

Depco has been GREAT for anything I have ever needed!

Walter,

Even your reassurances that I wasn't dead with my 809, I still took that opportunity to add a second pump to my system and got the MoreBeer High Flow model (http://morebeer.com/view_product/11622/103556/March_Brewing_Pump_New!_-_High_Flow).

Used it last weekend and it was pumping fine, but it was making a strange rattling noise. I opened up the pump head and the impeller was moving like it should. I removed the pump head to see if the noise was limited to the motor itself to rule out a problem with the head.

I filmed the motor running and the noise is clearly audible. Anything I can do to solve the issue short of sending it to you guys?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to say with out having it infront of me....but if i had to guess i would say one of the sleeve bearings may have the tollerances too large inside that motor and thats whats causing the noise... Unless it was dropped at some point and tweaked the rear cover of the motor. Theres nothing you can realy do with it. If it was dropped or damaged you may get lucky and mght be able to tap the housing back into shape. I would say ship it back to me.

-Walter

Thanks Walter. Unless it was dropped in shipping I would say your first guess it probably the better one. I will try to get it shipped over to you this weekend

Walter I unfortunately dropped my pump when cleaning last weekend and broke off the outlet. I live in Elmhurst and work in Morton Grove can I get replacement parts directly from you and skip the shipping so I can brew again this weekend? I assume I can buy a replacement head with the in and out ports correct?

Thanks

Ryan

Yes, you can buy a replacement head. In fact, that's one part that many homebrew stores DO carry.

Walter I unfortunately dropped my pump when cleaning last weekend and broke off the outlet. I live in Elmhurst and work in Morton Grove can I get replacement parts directly from you and skip the shipping so I can brew again this weekend? I assume I can buy a replacement head with the in and out ports correct?

Thanks

Ryan

If you work in Morton Grove then just swing on by annd ask for me....

-Walter

eh....kind of, sort of, but not really....our pumps have a good deal of clearance and can pass a good size object through them.....the 809's "can pass" up to an 1/8" object as long as its soft and doesn't jam between the impeller and pump housing. I have seen 1/4" "things" go through it and not mess it up. Only problem would be if you had a good deal of "stuff" going through the pump at the same time and that could clog it up and jam the impeller.
Ideally for something like that you would want a shaft drive centrifugal or a gear drive pump.....the only problem is that not many are food grade...the ones that are don't usually handle high temps...and then there's the shaft seal you have to worry about wearing out on the pump. And since they have direct drive and close tolerances , when "stuff" goes through the pump they usually sheer up the object into smaller pieces. So you would need some sort of filter on the discharge side.
I guess it comes down to how much you want to deal with during the operation....

-Walter

MaynardX said:
subscribe. have had pump problems, so I need to keep this in my stuff!

Just curious, keep what in your stuff? Also what problems have you had?

OneHoppyGuy said:
Me thinks a link to this thread...

I agree. At first I thought I was missing out on something great but now I see I was over-thinking it.

Walter,

Do you guys have any pumps that I can push mash through (grain and liquor)?

I had a crappy brewday a while back... The manifold in the MLT dislodged and I realized it after I noticed the vorlauf was "chunky"... Ended up pumping quite a bit of the grist to another vessel during transfer without much of a problem... YMMV

Walter, a while back I picked up a older March 140-001-01 pump that has a large inlet & outlet?

I believe the pump only handles 190 degrees, but was wondering if I could replace the head w/ another model, etc? Are the parts food grade?

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Thnx in advance,

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Walter, a while back I picked up a older March 140-001-01 pump that has a large inlet & outlet?

I believe the pump only handles 190 degrees, but was wondering if I could replace the head w/ another model, etc? Are the parts food grade?

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Thnx in advance,

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Unfortunately no, that pump was originally designed for an industrial dishwasher setup. It has a unique motor bracket that wont fit anything else on it. :(

-Walter

Thnx for the quick response Walter, I guess I can live w/ the temp & bracket - would the internal parts happen to be food grade so that I might use it for say he RIMS portion?

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

You would be in luck on that one as we use USP grade plastic on our pumps :D Only limit would be the temp in your case...

-Walter

Fantastic! Got a great deal on the pump, it looks beefy, and will work great for the RIMS portion of my next upgrade on my system! I appreciate the feedback, and will keep this on mind for my next purchase!

Have a nice Day!
Kentucky Dan
LAGERS/FOSSILS!

Walter. Lately my March pump has been locking up. It will go along pumping fine to start, then I'll hear the pitch of the pump go up and the flow stops. The fan is still going in the back however. I unplug it and give it a minute and usually have to manually turn the plades a few times before it will start up again. I appologize if this has been discussed before. Is there maintenance I need to do? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Will

Walter. Lately my March pump has been locking up. It will go along pumping fine to start, then I'll hear the pitch of the pump go up and the flow stops. The fan is still going in the back however. I unplug it and give it a minute and usually have to manually turn the plades a few times before it will start up again. I appologize if this has been discussed before. Is there maintenance I need to do? Any help would be great. Thanks.

Will

More then likely you have a sugar buildup on the shaft between the impeller. Easiest thing you can do is take it apart and drill the impeller out with a 17/64" drill bit and open it up a bit more so it gets more fluid between them for lubrication and better cleaning. If you don't feel comfortable doing that then just take it apart and soak the impeller in some hot water for a few minutes while you clean off the impeller shaft. Then put it back together and run more hot water through it and it should be back to normal till the sugars build up again. :)

Any chance for a self priming reservoir for an 809? I see the 750 reservoir, but the pdf doesn't list the 809 as a compatible model. Also, I bet an integrated reservoir for a high-temp, self-priming solution would be great for the homebrew market.

Cheers!

My AC-3C-MD seized on me so I took it apart and cleaned it up. It seems the impeller still doesn't want to spin without some resistance in the magnet housing. I put it back together and not the motor runs and fluid floods the head but there is not fluid movement. I suspect the impeller is slipping. Is there and easy fix for this? Is a replacement head recommended?

should the 815 impeller be drilled out to 17/64" to increase the fluid between them also?

Its really on a case by case basis. It wont hurt anything if you want to take that step. The issues most people have that would require drilling the impeller out are usually from not cleaning the pump out after brewing properly.....or they happen to get a pump with a shaft on the max side of tolerance and an impeller with a bore on the min side of tolerance. In a water application it would never be a problem...but with beer you have a sugar in the liquid and it can crystalize between the two and cause it to bind up. Opening up the clearances will help keep it clean of those sugars and help it clean out better.

My AC-3C-MD seized on me so I took it apart and cleaned it up. It seems the impeller still doesn't want to spin without some resistance in the magnet housing. I put it back together and not the motor runs and fluid floods the head but there is not fluid movement. I suspect the impeller is slipping. Is there and easy fix for this? Is a replacement head recommended?

If it spins freely on the shaft, but not when its inside the rear housing, then you probably have some damage to the impeller and the rear housing....you can replace just those two items and be back in business....

Any chance for a self priming reservoir for an 809? I see the 750 reservoir, but the pdf doesn't list the 809 as a compatible model. Also, I bet an integrated reservoir for a high-temp, self-priming solution would be great for the homebrew market.

Cheers!

That 750 priming chamber you could adapt to the 809 if you wanted to but the issues would be the chamber itself as it really has no temp rating. Its a LDPE plastic...its been OK'd for potable water use but that's only at room temps...i have no specs on it for anything else temp wise.
What you can do if you wanted to create your own priming chamber is to find a stainless canister you can seal off. Then get two fittings installed on it on the top and bottom sides like ours is. You hook up the pump tot he bottom inlet and prefill the chamber with liquid and seal it up. As the pump draws the liquid out of the chamber it will create a vacuum inside and will pump liquid into itself. Depending on how big the chamber is will dictate how much lift it will pull. In our case the chamber holds about 1 gallon of liquid and through a 1" line will give you 10' of suction lift.

Just won an ebay auction for a pump. My intention is to use it for cooling wort by pumping through a plate chiller. So the question is, which is better:

Kettle->Chiller->Pump->

or

Kettle->Pump->Chiller->

I would be recirculating it back into the kettle until the temp got down. My first thought is to have the chiller first to spare the pump from higher temps. But I could be wrong.

WalterAtMarchPump said:
Kettle--> Pump--> Chiller-->

you want the least bit of restriction on the inlet side of the pump as possible...

Also, this let's you slow your flow through the chiller by controling the output valve of the pump. If the other way around, you would be restricting flow to the pump and that would not be good.

Latest posts

Back