question about ppg definition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantumguy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is probably a bit in the weeds, but when one uses the approximation that DME is 44 points per pound per gallon, is that one pound dissolved in 1 gallon of water or 1 gallon of solution? For my yeast starters it makes a bit of a difference, e.g., about 1.040 vs. 1.044, although I don't have the equipment at home to determine it exactly. It's obviously not a bit deal, but I'm curious. I've always done it the latter way (volume of solution, so more like a molarity), so perhaps my starters have always had a slightly higher SG than intended.

when one uses the approximation that DME is 44 points per pound per gallon, is that one pound dissolved in 1 gallon of water or 1 gallon of solution?
Solution. Use any online recipe calculator. Plug in 1 gallon for your batch size and 1 pound of DME for your fermentables. You'll get an OG of 1.044 (or 1.0 whatever the ppg is).

Latest posts

Back