Oh so good Galaxy SMASH Pacman Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtstrider

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Imperial Joystick aka Pacman
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days @ 60F
Tasting Notes
Very well balanced. Has a pleasant bitterness with just enough fruitiness to balance it out. The Pacman yeast really ties everything together...Just like the rug did for the Dude ;)
Hey all! This is a very simple recipe using the Joystick yeast from Imperial. Pacman (Rogue Dead Guy Ale or Shakespeare Stout) yeast is imperative to this recipe. It helps bring out a nice maltiness that simulates a nice light caramel malt with a slight mineral background. I wouldn't change a thing here. In regards to the water this was reverse osmosis water. My system has a boil off rate of 1.5 gallons per hour and efficiency is usually a tad above 70%. 5.5 Gallons goes into the fermenter hops, trub, and all and 5 gallons-ish (sometimes a tad over sometimes a tad under) comes out and into the keg. If I was bottle priming this I would recommend shooting for 2.45-2.5 volumes co2, use a priming solution of table sugar (not corn), and if you're on city water treat that with a pinch of campden to remove chloramines prior to boiling the priming solution. I used a 2L 1.040 starter on the stir plate. Took this up to the brewery and the brewers loved it! Galaxy is one of those hops that are blended in with 10 billion other varieties. The goal here was to see what the fuss was about with Galaxy. For the dry hop I just tossed the hops in the keg in a hop tube and they are staying until the keg is kicked. The other thing I wanted to mention is the keg was chilled for 48-72 hours then a gelatin solution was added. This did help clean up the flavor a bit. Anywho that's enough typing....Try this and let me know what you think!

Fermentation schedule was ferment at 60F until it slowed down then it was ramped up to 68F. This was after about 4 or 5 days. Total time in the fermenter was 14 days.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Galaxy Smash Pacman Yeast

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: No Profile Selected
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

Hop Utilization Multiplier: 1

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.057
Final Gravity: 1.015
ABV (standard): 5.51%
IBU (tinseth): 45.17
SRM (morey): 3.81
Mash pH: 5.89

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - Brewers Malt 2-Row (100%) (Briess 2 Row)

HOPS:
0.25 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: First Wort, IBU: 14.24
0.5 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 12.85
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.32
1 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Hop Stand for 15 min, IBU: 7.76
3.25 oz - Galaxy, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.25, Use: Dry Hop for 5 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Strike, Temp: 152 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 4.5 gal
2) Fly Sparge, Temp: 170 F, Amount: 4.6 gal
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

YEAST:
Imperial Yeast - A18 Joystick