Posting from the damned wii lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinect may have something on the wii, x box does NOT.

Kinect is an addition to xbox... therefor no xbox = no kinect

so if kinect may, xbox may as well...

and i think what you were thinking of before with the nerf type remotes was playstation "move" which was an add on to ps3 which i think was a flop

You can play NES, sega, sega genesis, SNES, and a crap load of others on the wii virtual console.

I have the original metroid as a channel in my wii while the metroid other M is in the slot. First and last of an epic series on demand on the same system, Pretty bad ass.

*disclaimer- you have to get a SNES controller to play SNES games (like super metroid;)) on the wii.*

That's one of the reasons I love it.

Heard today on radio that the new Wii will get some much needed upgrades to video quality and the control will change to incorporate a joystick as well as double as a programmable TV remote.

Have also heard that the next XBox will have a 16 core processor.

I'll have to check out the new wiimotes.

Kinect may have something on the wii, x box does NOT.

Kinect is a USB periphial to XBox. (Can also be used on PC). It is not a standalone.

What makes it so powerful tho is that it does all it's own processing and leaves the XBox hardware to focus on the game data.

I'm sure Kinect is neat or it would have flopped.

What I like about the wii is the real time motion sense.

I move the wiimote, the guy's arm moves as mine does. Pretty effing cool. I take it the kinect does this, but with anything you hold?

Seems like it wouldn't be as pin point accurate, like in a shooter, as the incredibly sensetive wiimote. the wiimote knows if you ever so slightly rotate it, angle it, or move it period.

I'm sure Kinect is neat or it would have flopped.

What I like about the wii is the real time motion sense.

I move the wiimote, the guy's arm moves as mine does. Pretty effing cool. I take it the kinect does this, but with anything you hold?

Seems like it wouldn't be as pin point accurate, like in a shooter, as the incredibly sensetive wiimote. the wiimote knows if you ever so slightly rotate it, angle it, or move it period.

With Kinect, you don't have to hold anything but, you can if it enhances your experience. It can even discern the diference between multiple players. And yes, it can also be very accurate and very ignorant.

My only complaint is that, unlike the handheld Wiimote, it can get confused by whose voice or shape is under control. For example, some games are enhanced by voice commands (think FPS and telling teh game to switch guns), if in-game dialogu uses words too similar to the commands Kinect can get "confused" and and switch on you.

Or, if someone tries to pass behind you too closely Kinect can confuse this movement.

Mind you, this doesn't happen often. Kinect is amazingly precise for how unkinected it really is.

With Kinect, you don't have to hold anything but, you can if it enhances your experience. It can even discern the diference between multiple players. And yes, it can also be very accurate and very ignorant.

My only complaint is that, unlike the handheld Wiimote, it can get confused by whose voice or shape is under control. For example, some games are enhanced by voice commands (think FPS and telling teh game to switch guns), if in-game dialogu uses words too similar to the commands Kinect can get "confused" and and switch on you.

Or, if someone tries to pass behind you too closely Kinect can confuse this movement.

Mind you, this doesn't happen often. Kinect is amazingly precise for how unkinected it really is.

Thanks! I see how it can be pretty cool, but I am unconvinced. All it sounds like kinect has over wii is game choices, really.

If I want to shoot my gun, I pull the trigger. I don't want to yell out anything. Sounds freaking ghey. you actually stand there calling out commands for anything but actual movement???

WOW.

Thanks! I see how it can be pretty cool, but I am unconvinced. All it sounds like kinect has over wii is game choices, really.

If I want to shoot my gun, I pull the trigger. I don't want to yell out anything. Sounds freaking ghey. you actually stand there calling out commands for anything but actual movement???

WOW.

No, No, No.

You pull the trigger to shoot. But, say you want to switch the gun mid-action. You are holding the shotgun and you want to switch to teh chaingun. You just call out "chaingun" and it switches.

that is for game that just simply integrate kinect with the controller. On games like gunslinger you just cock your hand back (like a gun recoil) and it will shoot the gun in, Kinect is the only controller, game.

i guess I need to see one in action. Some games integrate motion and controller, some games use whatever object (not controller).

i guess I need to see one in action. Some games integrate motion and controller, some games use whatever object (not controller).

Yeah. The Kinect processes voice and motion recognition independantly of teh XBox.

Some games integrate kinect voice recog and xbox controller.
Some only utilize Kinect motion recognition and drop the controller. A whutever object is purely optional.
Some utilize voice and motion recog.
Some integrate limited combinations of all 3.

For example, Kinect can control Netflix via voice and motion. I can wave my hand to scroll screens. Then call out the movie name and tell it to play.

Yeah. The Kinect processes voice and motion recognition independantly of teh XBox.

Some games integrate kinect voice recog and xbox controller.
Some only utilize Kinect motion recognition and drop the controller. A whutever object is purely optional.
Some utilize voice and motion recog.
Some integrate limited combinations of all 3.

For example, Kinect can control Netflix via voice and motion. I can wave my hand to scroll screens. Then call out the movie name and tell it to play.

sounds pretty cool!

You definitely need to experience the kinect before saying the wii is better or even competes. You're amazed that the wii can use motion sense to tell you tilted your wrist (really the controller in your wrist thanks to the accelerometer just like every phone and iPod has now a days) . The Kinect knows if it is me, my son or my wife that just stepped in front of the TV and can pick up your finger movements. Side stepping, head tilting jumping, etc. No special controller required.

You definitely need to experience the kinect before saying the wii is better or even competes. You're amazed that the wii can use motion sense to tell you tilted your wrist (really the controller in your wrist thanks to the accelerometer just like every phone and iPod has now a days) . The Kinect knows if it is me, my son or my wife that just stepped in front of the TV and can pick up your finger movements. Side stepping, head tilting jumping, etc. No special controller required.

kinect-camera.jpg

"Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two."

I never said wii was better. I brought up the wii and people came out of the woodwork to look down on it. I am just defending it. Even if it isn't the best, it was first.

Back