oops! carafa 1 instead of caramel!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boozy_la_belle

Reaction score
We're brewing an IPA (Elephant Chaser IPA to be precise) and accidentally grabbed carafa 1 instead of caramel malts. :drunk: It was used for partial mash prior to adding 6.6 lbs of coopers light malt extract. It was only 1 lb of malt all in all...does anyone have ideas about how this might affect the beer? Any suggestions on how to preserve IPA characteristics (mainly around 6-7% alcohol?) We're thinking the name will have to be "Dirty Elephant Chaser" heheheheh. :mug:
Thanks!

It will be dark and lack the sweetness from the caramel malt. Exactly how much carafa did you put in? A whole pound?

If you had 1/2 2-row and 1/2 lb Carafa I, I'd say you've made a CDA (Cascadian Dark Ale). You won't have the slight sweetness that the caramel would have given you, but you can always steep some and add it to the fermenter.

In addition to the color, I believe Carafa will add chocolate/coffee tastes. And with 1# you're talking a lot of these flavors. You certainly aren't looking at an IPA at this point of course.

Back