Mistakenly used Caravienne instead of Vienna

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bkmorse

Reaction score
I prepared a recipe based on the ingredients I thought I had in stock, I accidentally bought Caravienne instead of Vienna.

I did not realize it until after I crushed the grains.

I adjusted the recipe to reflect the ingredients I used, you can see it here:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/482317/brad-s-session-pale-ale

I was wondering, how will that 1 lbs of malt affect my finished product? I was hoping for an easy drinking, semi hoppy Session Pale Ale, how will the caravienne affect and/or enhance the taste? I just brewed it last night.

If the link does not work, here is text export of the partial mash recipe:

Brew Method: Partial Mash
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 3 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.076
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.045
Final Gravity: 1.008
ABV (standard): 4.9%
IBU (tinseth): 89.53
SRM (morey): 6.42

FERMENTABLES:
2.5 lb - American - Pale 2-Row (35.7%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 20L (7.1%)
3 lb - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (42.9%)
1 lb - Belgian - CaraVienne (14.3%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 38.35
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 25.53
1 oz - Simcoe, Type: Pellet, AA: 12.7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 19.03
1 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 6.62
0.5 oz - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 152 F, Time: 40 min, Amount: 5 qt

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F

This recipe has been published online at:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/482317/brad-s-session-pale-ale

Generated by Brewer's Friend - https://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2017-05-11 15:58 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2017-05-10 22:36 UTC

Chances are, your FG will be a couple points higher and you'll have a bit more sweetness and color.

oof. With more than 20% crystal malt, it will be sweet for sure. You do have alot of IBUs to help counteract the cloying sweetness, but you can call it a "hoppy American amber", and it might be pretty drinkable.

oof. With more than 20% crystal malt, it will be sweet for sure. You do have alot of IBUs to help counteract the cloying sweetness, but you can call it a "hoppy American amber", and it might be pretty drinkable.

Its 20% by weight with the DME, but if you look at it in terms of an all-grain bill its more like 15%. Still going to be sweet, no doubt about that. I think he will be approaching the too sweet level, but it should be ok with the hops like you say. The color won't be an amber though, just extra light extract, 2-row and cara 20/vienne. His SRM says 6.4 on the recipe.

It could be worse as you could easily have had Vienna as a higher grain bill percentage. I'm sure it will be fine, sweeter than it should be, but fine nonetheless.

Latest posts

Back