Obnoxious Football Trash Talk Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who would have ever thought that the "G" on the packers helmet doesn't stand for Green Bay? And before you act like you knew it, no one on the team did. Very strange.

_

Why did you delete that other post bird? I thought it was pretty damn funny and had absolutely no come back for it.

OK, Dataz, let's PRETEND that you hadn't already pawned all of your furniture and your wife's wedding ring and had your car repossessed. If you had $5 left in your pocket, you taking the Steelers or the Pack?

OK, Dataz, let's PRETEND that you hadn't already pawned all of your furniture and your wife's wedding ring and had your car repossessed. If you had $5 left in your pocket, you taking the Steelers or the Pack?

I would abstain. I can't even bring myself to say, let alone bet, on what I think is going to happen. I do like the under 44.5 though.

Since we've now locked down that this is going to be a high-scoring game, that's got to favor the Packers, right? If there's a final score of 52-45, it's going to be Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay with the victory.

All I know is I'm probably going to have to take off work Monday regardless of outcome. I'm hopeful its a happy hangover.

Since we've now locked down that this is going to be a high-scoring game, that's got to favor the Packers, right? If there's a final score of 52-45, it's going to be Aaron Rodgers and Green Bay with the victory.

Disclaimer: Admittedly I haven't gone back and read the last couple of pages, and I am not gonna, since I have been drinking, so I don't get the reasoning here. So please 'splain to me how the #1 defense in the league (Pittsburgh) and the #2 defense in the league (Packers) equates to a shootout?

Disclaimer: Admittedly I haven't gone back and read the last couple of pages, and I am not gonna, since I have been drinking, so I don't get the reasoning here. So please 'splain to me how the #1 defense in the league (Pittsburgh) and the #2 defense in the league (Packers) equates to a shootout?

I'm going to guess it's from all the rehashing about the last time they played each other and combined for 800+ yards or something like that.

I'm going to guess it's from all the rehashing about the last time they played each other and combined for 800+ yards or something like that.

via espn's resident turtle:

1. Take the over: The Steelers rank second in the NFL on defense. The Packers rank fifth. But based on last year's matchup between these two, it's hard to imagine a low-scoring game. Oddsmakers put the over/under at 44½. Because both teams use basically the same schemes, the chances of big plays abound. Packers defensive coordinator Dom Capers and Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau installed the Steelers' "Blitzburgh" defense with Bill Cowher in 1992. The Packers hired Capers to install that same 3-4 scheme in 2009. Both are high-risk, high-reward schemes that gamble extra rushers to sack the quarterback or create turnovers. Roethlisberger and Rodgers see those defenses every day in practice, so they won't be surprised by anything and will have the opportunity to make big offensive plays. The teams put up 973 yards of offense combined in their last meeting.

-----
And a crapload more.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2010/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&page=1standGoal/Super%20Bowl

Yes, clayton reminds me of a turtle. Anyways the over analyzing is a mere 60 hours away.

I think one reason it could be high scoring is because the Steelers have the best run defense in the league, but the Packers are more of a passing offense so that kind of negates some of the Steelers' strength. Similarly, the Green Bay defense is best at stoppping the pass, but the Steelers are more of a run-based offense so that kind of negates the strength of the Packer defense.

Very simple. Dataz is taking the under, and he's NEVER right!

With that said, I *do* think, despite their rankings, these are both defenses that can be scored on. Both teams are willing to put the ball in the air - this isn't likely going to be a grind-it-out game. The 44.5-pt over/under implies a final score of something like 24-21, which I think is really the minimum that these teams are likely to combine for.

And... I still think the Steelers are going to take it. I'll be rooting the other way, but the Steelers have a more balanced offensive attack, have a better D, and have the experience. Aaron Rodgers is a better QB that Rapelesberger, but not by a huge amount; Ben's plenty good to put up points on them.

It's the experience, though. The game's not going to be too much for them, the lights won't be too bright.

It should be a good game, but I think Pittsburgh wins, something like 31-24.

It's the experience, though. The game's not going to be too much for them, the lights won't be too bright.
I remember a young, up-and-coming Cowboys team in their first SB in many years going up against a seasoned Buffalo Bill team that had been to like 3 straight SBs. Didn't turn out well for the more experienced team.

Of course, IF the Packers lose then lack of exp will be attributed to the loss but I think once toe-meets-leather it's just a football game.

Those were the Bills, though. Bills had a tremendous amount of experience LOSING Super Bowls. Ain't the same.

Second half of the Bears game has got to concern Packer-backers. They almost gave the game away to a team whose QB *quit* on them, whose second-string QB I think might have played on some of those same Bills teams, and whose third-string QB nobody had ever heard of. They *almost* lost.

Yea, I figured you were gonna say 'but it was the friggin Bills'. And that is a good point. However, the Steelers tried to give away the AFC Champ game too and also 'almost' lost.

Jets >>>>> Bears, especially Bears sans Cutler.

I hate, hate, *hate* the JETS, but they were playing abnormally bad football in the first half of that game; the difference in the second half had more to do with NY playing up to their potential.

Call it a gut instinct as much as anything.

Just because a young Cowboys team won it, doesn't mean experience means nothing. We could run a whole list of experienced teams that prevailed over inexperienced as well. Although experience isn't everything, we don't know how the Packers will handle it, we already know that the Steelers know how to handle it. I'm taking the Steelers in this one. I'll go 31-27. But I will also be rooting the other way, I hate the Steelers.

I dunno, Bears did beat the Jets this year but it was at Chicago. IMO Bears don't get the credit they deserve (partly due to having such good special teams which get overlooked).

I'm probably just biased because I hate the Steelers. And since I'm not betting on it I have to go with my 'heart'.

Packers 142
Steelers 9

Alright, everybody else get your predictions in. I'll update this post with everyone's predictions.

Me: Steelers 31, Packers 24
RJWhite: Steelers 31, Packers 27
ChshireCat: Steelers 72. Packers 0
MarioJr: Steelers 17, Packer 9

SpanishCastleAle: Packers 142, Steelers 9
Hugh_Jass: Packers 34, Steelers 31
TANSTAAFB: Packers 24, Steelers 21
Cape: Packers 31, Steelers 16
Dwain: Packers 69, Steelers 2
DesertBrew: Packers 37, Steelers 36
Bernie: Packers 17, Steelers 14 (OT)

34-31 Packers.

For the first time in a few years, I'm looking forward to actually watching the game. I think it's going to be a good one.

24-21 Pack...I don't think it will be the offensive shootout some are predicting but will (just) cover the over/ under

Lot of love for the Packers here. Just not seeing them take it. I'm rooting for them, I just don't see them winning.
At least you've hedged, if the Steelers win you can say you called it, if the Pack wins you can be happy the team you wanted to win did. I'm all-in with the Pack.

Above all, I hope it's as good as the previous few SBs we've had. And I'd REALLY love to see OT so we can see these new OT rules in effect.

Oh there will be picks that's for sure. Anyways I'll go repeat of their 2009 game with a slight twist.

Packers 37, Steelers 36

Geez, I am afraid to pick. I am afraid I might jinx the Pack if I pick them, yet I can't bring myself to pick the Steelers. 'Tis a quandry, alright...........

17-14 Packers on a Mason Crosby FG in OT. There. Now if they lose it is my fault..............

Last one in is @ fault. Right now it's you Bernie :D.

By the way, where the heck are all the Steeler fans in this thread? Definitely seem lacking which seems odd. You guys switch to wine spritzers or something?

Win or lose, the state east of me consumes the malty beverage to excess. Now toss out your score ;).

FYI - last time it's been 3 or under was 2001. Under 3, 1982. Doesn't mean crap, but it's one of those years where nobody clearly can say "that team" is favorite/underdog.

I guess I wasn't playing by the rules of the thread.

I think defense wins and the final is going to be 17-9 Steelers. With me having at least 12 pints during the game. Which in turn makes me the winner.

By the way, where the heck are all the Steeler fans in this thread? Definitely seem lacking which seems odd. You guys switch to wine spritzers or something?

We're here. I think most of us have switched to Iron City and IC Light. I was left behind to keep tabs on all the haters.

Should be a good game although if you listened to the local media here, the Packers are walking away with it.

Cape, any chance I can get some of your recipes - ribs, sausage, etc. Holy smokes, I am envious of your meat. Wait, that didn't sound right.

On Pissburg's first play, Doug Legursky gets over excited, trips over his own feet and falls on the rapist's knee and he gets carried off on a cart... his career over. Pack runs away after that and wins 72-0.

Back