New to kegging - Too little head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
Kegging

9 lbs Pale Malt (2-row)
12 oz Victory Malt
8 oz Crystal 40L
8 oz Munich Malt

Boiled 1 hr.

Kegged and set at 12psi for 18 days now.

When I fill a glass there is about 1.5 finger head and it sounds like when you pour 7-UP or Sprite in a glass. The fizz goes crazy and then the head is gone in about 5 seconds...

What am I doing wrong? The beer taste great though. I got it from someone on here and it's called Sweet Baby Jesus Pale Ale, good stuff. I would like to give credit to the guy but I'm too lazy to search right now.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like dirty glasses to me from your description.

If it is foaming up like soda when puring something else might be amiss, but iff it is doing it when it hits the glass, them I would have to say it is the cleaniless of the glassware you are using.

If it soundds like soda coming out of the faucet, then I would tkae a wild guess, and think you have air getting in your line somewhere (possibly). I have never had an issue like you are decribing, and I have been kegging for a little over a year.

I actually just tapped a keg 2 days ago, great head from the get go, but I wash and hand dry/polish all of my beer glassware.

Yeah that would not be good if they are dirty glass but I can guarantee everything is very clean around my house with a 2 year old and another on the way.

Glasses are clean.

Should I have my psi set lower since it's carbed now? Should I keep it at 12psi for serving?

its not your psi.. try with a plastic cup right out of a package. If the problem goes away it's soap residue on the glass.

Or, take a glass, wet it, dump salt into it, rub the salt all around with your hands, rinse thoroughly, fill with beer.

"Dirty" doesn't necessarily mean "smeared with feces"....it can also mean "with residue from the dishwasher", like soap or Jet Dry.

ahhh, I may see the light then. Let me give that a shot and I will report back. I was taking it as magots were swimming it my glass. Stay tuned.

I knew I could count on you fellas and ladies. I poured off my tap with a new plastic cup and there was a beautiful white head.

Looks like the beer glasses are going to be hand washed from now on. Thanks!

Back