New member - was just gifted a used kegerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerdic

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I started home brewing in January after being gifted a 1 gallon kit last Christmas. I only have about 10 brew sessions under my belt since then, but have really enjoyed the experience.

I brew extract recipes. I have moved up to a 6 gallon fermenting bucket, only have a 3 gallon kettle, but have been able to ferment a couple 2.5 gallon batches.

I was gifted a used kegerator yesterday, and always planned on getting to that point, but this is a bit quicker than expected.

I have no experience with kegging. I believe the kegerator has been sitting in a garage for many years. The CO2 tank appears to have a Jan 2004 date, with no more recent reinspection stamps.

It seems as though the regulator screw is malfunctioning, because when the screw is out all the way, the gas is still getting into the low side and releasing out. It is a Chudnow JO series 360M. I see that these regulators can be disassembled for rebuild, but it seems that regulator might be too old for a rebuild kit?

I plan on replacing the lines with EVA barrier tubing. I was thinking 6.3mm since the current line is 1/4”, or what would be recommended for corny kegs?

I am currently in processing of my first attempts at lagering. I fermented 1 gallon of scharzbier around 52F with 34/70, and 2.5 gallons of Marzen around 68F with 34/70. Bottle conditioned and now about 3 weeks bottle lagering at 34F.

I also am currently bottle conditioning 1 gallon of what I was hoping to be an easy drinking Munich Ale, which was 20% Munich DME and 80% Pilsen DME, with 12 IBU Mittlefruh at 30 and around 5 IBU at 10, fermented with US-05 at 68. But tasting a bit left over during bottling, it was a bit too light of a beer, and didn’t have as much malt characteristic I was hoping for from the Munich DME. I have a RAPT pill, and it was showing around 6% ABV.

Anyway, thanks in advance with any advice! Cheers!

Welcome to the group!

It sounds like you're gaining lots of experience in your new hobby and expanding your system.

Free anything is normal a great deal. Replacing all the lines is a must. As far as the co2 tank, look around your area and see if a place does exchanges rather than a fill. An exchange is a little more expensive but you get a certified cylinder ready to go. Places that sell welding supplies sell co2 aswell.

For the regulator I'd shop around for a new one. They aren't that expensive and last a long time. While your shopping around look at kegs. New ones are cheaper these days. Before you do anything, make sure that freebie works.

Good luck and don't be shy posting questions if you're not sure!

Welcome to the Fun!!
Let me be the second to to say; "Yay! Free! ...Now, spend on this:..." You'll also want to look at replacing the shanks and taps as most units come stock with yucky plated-chrome brass ones.... You'll need to replace the shanks anyway to go to EVAbarrier, so just make sure and get SS.
Chudnow makes a good regulator..as long as the low-side gauge is 60psi or less, this rebuild kit is supposed to work:
https://www.kegoutlet.com/rg310-reb...lator-cartridge-and-diaphram-rebuild-kit.htmlI can't verify that for certain, but you can email Chudnow and ask;
www.chudnowmfg.com/
If you go with a new regulator, I highly recommend Taprite or Micromatic.
The 6.35 OD EVAbarrier has a 3mm ID which is great for short lines (I hope you mean 6.35OD) but it's difficult to find duotight fittings for. The current most-poplular EVAbarrier systems usually use the 4mmID-8mmOD and fittings (and even disconnects) are more readily available for them.
:bigmug:

Evabarrier tubing is sold by outer diameter (o.d.) wheras if you have older style beer lines, the tubing is sold by the inner diameter for barbed fittings. The 6.3 mm Evabarrier has an i.d. of 3mm. Sometimes there is not a set i.d for the Evabarrier, so check to make sure of what the i.d. actually is. For instance 8mm o.d Evabarrier has 4mm and 5mm sizes available. The Evabarrier tubing usings push to connect fittings and those are sized by o.d. You can keep your beverage lines shorter with the 6.3/3mm vs, 8mm/4mm. Fittings are slightly less available at your LHBS I would suggest with the 6.3 but may be in stock. You can find the 6.3mm fittings in more variety at some water treatment sites. You would need about 4-5 feet of line for the 8mm/4mm to avoid foaming vs. a little over a foot for the 6.3.

Back