new ipa for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bj2387

Reaction score
wondering what you guys think. i consider it a BIAB with lme on top. some might say a mini mash as im going for 4.5 gallons but using the equipment i have.

1.064 OG
1.012 FG
57 IBU
11.2 SRM
EST ABV-6.8%

grains
5lb-2 row
1lb-biscuit
.5lb-c-40
3.3lb amber extract

hops
1oz simcoe 60
.50 simcoe 30
.25 mosiac every 5 minutes from 30-5.
dry hop with .75 mosiac and .50 simcoe

s-05 yeast and also have bitter orange peel and lemon peel i debated on throwing in or wonder if that would be too much.

You may have enough crystal malt already in the Amber LME, tough to say.

IME too much crystal is an IPA killer, I think the sweetness overbalances the bitterness of the hops.

I'm no recipe expert by far, but would be more inclined to add a half cup of sugar rather than more crystal malt to dry out the beer a tad. Jmo

I agree with @wilserbrewer
That is way too much crystal and specialty anlts for any kind of ipa. Just the Amber malt extract alone has more specialty malts than you should be using in an ipa. I would use extra light dme, and take out the biscuit. Or else all that hop character is gonna get muddled with the malt sweetness

ill have to see how it comes out. ive been using this basic grain recipe for a few ipa's and have liked the results. maybe im missing out on something

You could bump up your late hop additions to balance it out some.
My initial thought is it may be more of an American Amber.
Maybe shorten up your bittering addition, 1oz @20, 1oz @10, 1oz @ flameout and/or whirlpool and 2oz in the dry hop.
At the end of the day though if you like it then you are winning.

You can, also, try using a higher kilned base malt... Maris Otter or Great Western American Pale Malt I only use standard 2 row for Blonde Ales or beers that have lot of dark grain for color. The American Pale Malt is 3L and is very similar to MO. I use that as my base malt and cut most of my crystal malts back or out completely, 1/4 pound of carapils for head retention and you will have a nice, lightly golden brew.

Latest posts

Back